Why no vehicle safety inspection in CA ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Here in NJ you can still be ticketed for an unsafe vehicle such as bald tires or a cracked windshield.

Isn't that the case in every state though?

Cops are pretty good about leaving us alone here. It takes an idiot to drive around with lights out or a loud exhaust. But even then, they usually give warnings unless your sticker is also overdue, you were also speeding/ drunk/ or there were other aggravating factors.

Cops aren't going to be able to detect frame rust or loose ball joints from 50 yards.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Cops are pretty good about leaving us alone here. It takes an idiot to drive around with lights out or a loud exhaust. But even then, they usually give warnings unless your sticker is also overdue, you were also speeding/ drunk/ or there were other aggravating factors.

Cops aren't going to be able to detect frame rust or loose ball joints from 50 yards.
Same here. I drove for 20 years with a very broken windshield in my old International pickup. Not that I had a choice. I had new rubber waiting for a new windshield that was not available anywhere.

Cops never bothered me

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Plenty of studies and research out there that has shown there is no appreciable difference in accident and fatality rates between states with an inspection program versus those without. That was done by several states that had programs that were asking themselves whether it was worth it.

In regards to the post from the Iowan above that their fatality rates being significantly lower than all their neighbors - may want to check the statistics. Middle of the pack compared to your neighbors. MN and WI have lower fatality rates. Higher total fatalities, but they have bigger populations and travel more miles.

While some states surrounding Iowa do have higher populations, I-80 and I-35 thru Iowa are major transportation corridors for cross country travel and significant high traffic flow of interstate commerce. And IDOT is pretty good about clearing roads in winter and, except in a few locations, they actually knew how to get bridges and roads close to the same height. IL, WI, MN, IN, OH, and MI, one feels the need to check their shocks after traversing those states.

But insurance premiums is where one needs only to look at for confirmation of lower accident frequency and lower death rates on the highways. Auto insurance rates in Iowa are the envy of many of the states surrounding it. If the rate per 100,000 miles is the same or lower as MN and WI as it seems you are suggesting, then why are insurance rates lower?

That's where the fatality rate per 100 million Vehicle Mile Traveled (VMT) gets at the pass through traffic. Iowa is middle of the pack of both data points (per VMT and per population) compared to its neighbors.

You can get the rates at the IIHS or NHTSA. I can do the LMGTFY if need be, but it is there.

Car insurance rates vary greatly depending on a lot of variables, only one of which is fatality rates. Not being familiar with what Iowa's insurance requirements and laws are (or aren't, as the case may be), I won't venture there.

I'll sum up with circling back to the original question regarding why no vehicle safety inspections in CA by pointing to the GAO study done this year on this issue.

http://www.gao.gov/assets/680/672131.pdf

Main takeaway from the study is that there has not been a study yet (including this one) that could demonstrate a significant increase in safety as a result of the inspection programs. Most programs that continue to claim success do so only by pointing out how many cars they fail. The safety statistics don't bear out that has any correlation to actual accident rates.

I don't so much care about clunkers out there as a motorist. I'd rather get cell phones out of peoples' hands, and out of their minds.

But as a car guy/ beater buyer, I'm glad someone regularly tells someone they have to fix their junk. Cruising through other jurisdictions I see more broken down cars abandoned on the side of the road than I do locally. Seems inspections make people man up and take care of their rides.

Correlation isn't causation, and aside from the OBDII scan and oil leaks "that could constitute a fire hazard" my state's inspection doesn't do much for the actual powertrain. But making people not have rust holes everywhere compels them into some minimal pride of ownership and upkeep.

This thread reminds me of driving into Minnesota from Canada about 1970. A few miles past the border was a 'safety check point'. We were waved over and all that was noted with my pristine '65 Grand Prix was the 'clear glass' aircraft landing lights for my high beams. The trooper couldn't find anything in the regulation book, but decided they weren't aimed properly(they were) and so a fixit ticket was issued. I still chuckle as I recall that trooper and day, but also sad as my wife later tried to cut down a phone pole with that fine car.

Originally Posted By: willbur
$15? For an inspection in PA? Did you mean in 1945 or something? I pay $90 here in PA. And it's a classic case of conflict of interest. The mechanic gets to do the work on vehicles that he "fails". The best is what NJ used to have. Inspections at state run stations where the inspector has absolutely no financial interest in your car passing or failing. Regarding states with no safety inspections; there has been no avalanche of safety related accidents, even for those people you say have don't know how to maintain a car. Otherwise, the auto lobby and insurance companies would be all over this.

Better to regulate texters and cell phoners if you want auto safety.

When we left in 2005 from one of the non-emmissions testing counties I'm sure the cost was $15 for the sticker, smart guy. OK, it might have been $20. And as stated, if you trust your mechanic what's the problem? Arizona has no inspection, and if you saw the condition of some of the old junk that's on the road here you'd know that the number of accidents due to faulty/old equipment has to be higher than a state like Pa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back