kawasaki dino 10w40 w/ TAN, ninja 300

Status
Not open for further replies.

pb

2014 ex300, FI, in use for 19 months. i don't know how to explain the great amount of fuel in the oil other than still breaking in? all trips are long. using 91 octane E0. sample was severity 4 (critical) for fuel dilution and viscosity.

Code:

OIL KAWASAKI DINO 10W40

MILES 2424

O&F CHANGED Y

MILES 2.9K

MAKEUP OIL 0

SAMPLE TAKEN 15-NOV-15

LAB OAI

IRON 10

CHROMIUM 0

NICKEL 0

ALUMINUM 12

COPPER 10

LEAD 1

TIN 0

CADMIUM 0

SILVER 0

VANADIUM 0

SILICON 18

SODIUM 3

POTASSIUM 2

TITANIUM 0

MOLYBDENUM 44

ANTIMONY 0

MANGANESE 0

LITHIUM 0

BORON 87

MAGNESIUM 248

CALCIUM 1566

BARIUM 3

PHOSPHOROUS 907

ZINC 1051

WATER 0

cSt @ 212ºF 9.7

FUEL >5%

TAN 1.69

TBN 4.93

OXIDATION 7

NITRATION 6

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Proof that 10w40 sheers. Barely even a 30 weight.

i think this oil starts rather lite. i have a UOA from a 250 where the oil had 1.3k miles and 3 months on it and it too was reported at 9.7

Originally Posted By: pb
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Proof that 10w40 sheers. Barely even a 30 weight.
i think this oil starts rather lite. i have a UOA from a 250 where the oil had 1.3k miles and 3 months on it and it too was reported at 9.7
Does this bike have a shared sump? If so, it is the meshing gears that shredded (sheared) the oil. I had a similar experience with Kawasaki 10W-40 in my Brute Force 750.

Sheared out of grade. Lots of fuel didn't help at all. Common for shared sump oils. Switch to Rotella or plain ol WalMart 15w40.. a little better at staying in grade. More importantly, where in STL are you getting 91 E0? Not from any pump AFAIK....Or is stl not Saint Louis?
You say all trips are long, did you buy it, and just jump on the highway and steady cruise? The first 500 are important to vary speed and load including full throttle and that oil should have been out of there then. After 2400 miles, you are well broken in, but something is amiss here. I think your dealer should be aware of this report, and check fuel management and leakdown.

44 ppm I would not consider a moly issue, anything less than 100, Id consider a non moly oil.

once you get above 500 ppm of moly then it can become an issue

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
44 ppm I would not consider a moly issue, anything less than 100, Id consider a non moly oil.

once you get above 500 ppm of moly then it can become an issue

I agree. Even the Mobil 1 motorcycle-specific oil has something like 40-50 ppm moly

If I remember correctly - that "Genuine" Kawasaki oil doesn't hold up well. There are a few UOA's here (somewhere)

Opinion #2
Small oil capacity in small engine that works harder to achieve the same amount of work = more frequent oil changes, which brings me to

Opinion #3
Motorcycles or other power equipment should have an oil change at least annually.

Now a question.... do you start and run it during the winter months, without taking it for a long ride? If so, this will significantly contribute to the fuel dilution.

Originally Posted By: kballowe
If I remember correctly - that "Genuine" Kawasaki oil doesn't hold up well. There are a few UOA's here (somewhere)

Opinion #2
Small oil capacity in small engine that works harder to achieve the same amount of work = more frequent oil changes.....

This was my first thought. As you say this is a small thumper working hard. There was a thread over on r/motorcycles on reddit a month or two back about a rider with a EX300 who ran the oil dry and hatched the engine during a highway run/s. The warranty claim was denied with a reason along the lines of, users responsibility to check the oil, bike designed for city use not extended highway.

IIRC the oil capacity is
It would be nice to track down some other UOAs for referance and compare to other EX300.

shared sump. 2.5 qt cap. e0 check out pure-gas.org. always always long hot ride. and i agree, 12 months top from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back