Unique tire situation for my father's car...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My recently retired father drives a '93 Saturn SL2 and doesn't drive much. Despite my advice, he never balances/rotates his tires. Right now he has two fairly new Bridgestone RE960s on the rear that I bought for him and two very bald no name tires on the front.

Would it be better to buy two new RE960s to match the rear or, for the same price, a set of four Kumho TA31s?

Just buy two. He's not a speed demon (I assume) and it would be safe to buy just two tires.

you said, doesn't drive much on a 1993. At this point it doesn't matter, save your money. the tires may outlast the remainder of the lifespan of this car...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
I'd buy 2 more that match, since the rears are new, rear tires on this car don't wear much.

+1

Look for the deals this Friday and just do 2 of whatever. I would not pitch 2 good Bridgestones for 4 Kumho's though. Bridgestones are much better quality.

Originally Posted By: InvalidUserID
My recently retired father drives a '93 Saturn SL2 and doesn't drive much. Despite my advice, he never balances/rotates his tires. Right now he has two fairly new Bridgestone RE960s on the rear that I bought for him and two very bald no name tires on the front.

Would it be better to buy two new RE960s to match the rear or, for the same price, a set of four Kumho TA31s?

Two new RE960s. No question. That's a WAY better tire than the Kumho.

You buying the tires? Do you still like your father?

I'd buy two more of the same tire, assuming it is a good tire to start with. Tires cheap, relatives not. To replace that is.

Buy two more to match the newer ones on the back.

Since the OP's stated location is in CA, that Saturn could well motor on for another 20 years. IIRC salt isn't used much up in the mountains, and we can about reverse-engineer a 1993 Saturn in a driveway these days thanks to the interwebz.

Originally Posted By: krzyss
RE960 if you can find them. They were replaced with RE970.

Krzys

^^^Yes, I also thought this was the case?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: krzyss
RE960 if you can find them. They were replaced with RE970.

Krzys

^^^Yes, I also thought this was the case?
21.gif

Yes, but there isn't a RE970 for the size needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back