Does your dentist

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few years ago my dentist started to use some gauze and grab my tongue and move it back and forth looking at it during my normal exam. Never thought much about it.

This year my brother was diagnosised with cancer at the base of tongue that has spread to the lymph nodes. He is half way through 7 tough weeks of chemo and radiation.

Your dentist should be doing this.

My barber years ago brought to my attention about a "suspect" mole on the back of my ear....it was removed very quickly and examined. I never would have known.

Thanks goodness for your brother's detailed check up, I wish him well!

I have a check up next month, I will pay closer attention,

Your dentist should only do an oral exam like that if he/she cares about your health. Other wise if it does not lead to something they can charge for then they would just skip that part of the treatment.

Some dentists are not up to saying here is something I don't recognize or understand and you should go to your doctor or a dentist that specializes in oral pathology and get it checked out. Those are the dentists to avoid.

Mine's on flat rate, he does not have time for that kind of stuff.
lol.gif

In all seriousness, my old one did but not my current one.

My former dentist did that and then some, felt around under the tongue and checked the jaw and part of my neck for any unusual lumps.

I was sorry to see him retire. I think he gave me a more thorough check-up than my HMO doctor did.

Mines been doing this for three years, then last time i was in they also checked my neck and jaw. must be industry wide changes.

An oral cancer screening has been part of my bi-annual dental checkup for at least 40 years. It's hard to believe that there is a dentist anywhere that wouldn't do an oral cancer screening.

Of course, there is always the mirror in the bathroom for the die-hard DIYers.

Our dentist does this. He is also family so it would be hard to believe he is anything but on the up and up.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Mine's on flat rate, he does not have time for that kind of stuff.
lol.gif

In all seriousness, my old one did but not my current one.

Aspen Dental?
laugh.gif
27.gif

Surprising.. I've been to a handful of dentists over the past 10 years since I've moved around a bit, and no one has ever done this to me. Maybe because I'm in my low 30's? I would still like it if they did, regardless of age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back