Installing woven wire fencing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working on installing about 300' of 4' woven wire fencing. It's mostly in the woods and an irregular oval in shape. Using iron T posts. If one installs a square shape you put wooden corner posts in concrete. And stretch one full side at a time. But with an irregular oval shape and all T posts, I am not sure how to stretch it without bending over the T posts.

Ideas?

I've gotten away without using concrete on the wood corner posts, but we build the typical "H" brace corners as shown in this picture,with well tamped, good backfill (sandy loam soil here):
Permanent-Electric-Fencing-Guide-2.jpg

Back to your question. Woven wire fence is designed to have quite a bit of tension. I see no way to erect it in an oval with T posts only.

Maybe you should consider welded wire fence, using a combination of wood posts and T posts. Welded wire can be erected with much less tension, but I have no experience putting it up in an oval.

Would an electric fence work??

Or, are rigid cattle panels in your budget? 300' = 19 cattle panels @ $22 ea. = $418 plus the T posts.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/feedlot-panel-cattle-16-ft-l-x-50-in-h

The area is for a large Mastiff that has broken a lot of the current welded fence. It's not even so rigid panels probably would not work.

One solution is to make the pen square with corner posts.

Run a smooth wire on insulators around the top and bottom, connected to a solar fence charger. I had a boxer that would dig his way out. Electric charged wire, stopped that.

Originally Posted By: dernp
Stretch 2 sections at a time. It's time consuming.

I am thinking of putting T posts every 6' to 8' and doing minimal stretching by hand or squaring off the area and using wooden posts in the corners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back