10w30 or 10w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi - I have a new Honda xr150L here in Costa Rica. The temps here run from 75 to 100 degrees farenheight. I use the bike for short trips on dirt roads at not much more than 30 mph. I plan on changing the oil every 1000 miles (1 liter) after breakin. I'm unsure of which viscosity to use 10w30 or 10w40. Any help appreciated.

Regardless of 0w/5w/10w, I find SAE 30s produce a light haze out of the exhaust at >4k rpm and the level drops approx 1/4 qt over an OCI, but with an xxW40 there's is no burning, no have and no perceptible consumption.

YMMV

10w-30 is fine as long as it is motorcycle or diesel rated.

Just about any 10w-40, 15w-40 or 5w-40 should work great.

I use Xw-40 because I can't find any decent 10w-30 or 15w-30 oils here.

I want to try Delo 15w-30, Rotella 10w-30, or Delvac 1630 in my Hondas, but none are available here.

My experiences show that running the recommended 30 weight oil prescribed in the owners
manual will net a HP gain over a 40 weight and a 30 will still meet and exceed your mileage expectations...

Oil drag in a tube comparison
viscosity_test.gif

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop
Oil drag in a tube comparison
viscosity_test.gif

Obviously there is something that you are trying to say in pictures again...

a ball bearing in a tube tells nothing about what the OP is asking about...

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Thanks Professor for asking... I say 30 weights win because manufactures are trending
towards recommending a free flowing 30 weight for all their bikes... I predict a time when
they will only recommend a single viscosity and not even mention the option of a sluggest 40
and 50... oil companies will see less profit in those old grades and stop improving them...
the money will go to the 30 weights...

What is the temperature of the balls and oil in the demosntation ?

Shear rate ?

Or are you saying that thye will be specifying monogrades ?

Or are they going to design bike engines like bearings in a test tube rather than those pesky bearings, pistons, rings and gears ?

The picture itself is next to useless.

But it's a picture, and you love meaningless pictures.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Thanks Professor for asking... I say 30 weights win because manufactures are trending
towards recommending a free flowing 30 weight for all their bikes... I predict a time when
they will only recommend a single viscosity and not even mention the option of a sluggest 40
and 50... oil companies will see less profit in those old grades and stop improving them...
the money will go to the 30 weights...

That is erroneous, indeed some manufacturers are trending to THICKER oils. Indian is a perfect example with their 10w60 recommendation for their new scouts. But as Mark Twain once said "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story"

Originally Posted By: patrickfreen
Went with Pennzoil 15w40 - have to take what you can get here - very little 10w40 available - go figure.

That stuff is hard to come by here after Shell bought out Pennzoil, but the stuff did always test well.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

That is erroneous, indeed some manufacturers are trending to THICKER oils. Indian is a perfect example with their 10w60 recommendation for their new scouts. But as Mark Twain once said "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story"

Negative Rob... go back to blowing on your soup at Applebees...

Quote 2015 Indian Owners Manual...

Engine Oil Recommendation
We recommend the use of INDIAN MOTORYCLE Premium Synthetic Blend
20W-40 Engine Oil for your motorcycle. This oil is formulated with
synthetic-based oil and premium engine additive which have physical
properties that meet API SM and ILSAC GF-4 specifications. Do not
blend oil additives with engine oil. If oil must be added in an
emergency and the recommended oil is not available, choose only a
high-quality 20W-40 motorcycle oil. Change back to the recommended oil
at the first opportunity

2880012.jpg

Last edited:
The 20w40 is for the OLDER air cooled engine bikes, the 60 weight stuff is the NEWER Scout. As I said, some companies are going thicker. Indian on their NEWEST engine went up two grades from 40 to 60.

Apparently you don't read so good BLS.

http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/sh...its/pid-2880191

Boy is my face red... thanks for pointing that out Rob... but the 2015 manual recommends a 20W50 SG not a 60...

Last edited:
The 20w40 is for the OLDER air cooled engine bikes, the 60 weight stuff is the NEWER Scout. As I said, some companies are going thicker. Indian on their NEWEST engine went up two grades from 40 to 60.

Apparently you don't read so good BLS.

http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/sh...its/pid-2880191

Boy is my face red... thanks for pointing that out Rob... but the 2015 manual recommends a 20W50 SG not a 60...

Indian only sells 20w40 and 15w60...the 20w40 is also used in the Polaris Victory line and was always the recommended oil for the chief line.

The 2015 Scout manual lists only 15w60 in the oil recommendation, same as it does in the 2016.
http://polaris.hs.llnwd.net/o40/archive/ind/2015/manuals/9925953r02_IND_Scout_OM_Lo-Res.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back