F-150 5.0, Mobil 1 5W-20, 7k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diagnosis: All wear levels appear within acceptable limits for first sample. Silicon level (dirt/sealant material) satisfactory. Water content acceptable. Viscosity within specified operating range.
Action: As oil already changed, resample at next recommended interval to monitor and establish wear trend.
Code:

DATE SAMPLED 06-Nov-15

DATE RECEIVED 19-Nov-15

DATE REPORTED 23-Nov-15

TIME ON UNIT 27127

TIME ON OIL 7004

OIL BRAND Mobil

OIL TYPE Mobil 1

OIL GRADE SAE 5W20

OIL ADDED None

FILTER Changed

OIL CHANGED Changed

Metals (ppm)

Iron (Fe) 10

Chromium (Cr) 1

Lead (Pb)
Copper (Cu) 2

Tin (Sn)
Aluminium (Al) 3

Nickel (Ni) 1

Silver (Ag)
Titanium (Ti)
Vanadium (V)
Contaminants (ppm)

Silicon (Si) 14

Sodium (Na) 7

Potassium (K) 1

Additives (ppm)

Magnesium (Mg) 757

Calcium (Ca) 1106

Barium (Ba)
Phosphorus (P) 726

Zinc (Zn) 839

Molybdenum (Mo) 80

Boron (B) 51

Contaminants

Water (%)
Coolant No

Physical Tests

Viscosity (cSt 100C) 8.5

Physical / Chemical

Base Number (mgKOH/g) 5.1

Last edited:
2013 F-150. These were highway miles although they were highway in city of Houston, which has a mixture of highway speeds, traffic jams, sudden accel/decel, etc. During this change I also found that the air filter was loaded with dirt and changed it.

Last edited:
I would continue with the Mobil 1; changing your air filter should help bring the silicon down. I would change it at 5000 miles on the next run and resample, that should bring the iron down a bit.

Mobil 1 is all I use in my Crown Vic. Excellent oil!

Enjoy your Ford F-150 and Happy Thanksgiving!

Yeah, 10k on the next run should be a walk in the park. Keep it topped off. Great #'s on the 7k run.

Originally Posted By: buck91
What was the remaining life on your iolm?

I honestly don't know as I don't pay much attention to it. It is more of a nuisance than a help if you maintain a regular schedule.

Agree on the NapaGold/Wix filters. When compared with the OE filter, it looked to have twice the surface area. I expected to get a full 30K miles out of the OE filter, but it was so loaded up with dirt that it had to be changed. That was another reason for doing the analysis.

I also agree on the M1. Best bang for the buck IMO, been using it in my fleet for last 15 years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back