Zerex Asian - Coolant Mixes and Temps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Running Zerex Asian in my '06 Evo --

I've put a decent amount of RMI25 into my radiator/overflow tank - I couldn't guess how much, maybe 10 ounces at most. Do I need to flush the system to prep for winter (RMI25 is water based I believe), or will I be okay here. Temps usually don't dip lower than single digits at the worst, but we've had some 0 degree and negative single digit weather in the past (last winter), and looks like Zerex at 40% (comes 50%, guessing for the added RMI25) is good to -12F -- a little close for my liking. Anyone ever experience the block cracking from frozen water/coolant mixtures? Or am I just being paranoid?

Car will be in an unheated, detached garage (outside temps will = inside temps) and not driven all winter.

If the car is not being driven, and the zerex is at 40 %, the most it will do is get a little slushy at even -20f, maybe even lower than that.

Where in IL are you? I am familiar with the north and that is too close. -30F is not unseen and this winter is supposed to be cold.

This is why I do not like 50/50 pre-mixes. Any old fluid in the system or additives and the protection drops quickly. I buy concentrate and run it 55/45 or 60/40 for deep protection.

Google the eutectic diagram/graph of antifreeze and you will see what I mean.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
Where in IL are you? I am familiar with the north and that is too close. -30F is not unseen and this winter is supposed to be cold.

This is why I do not like 50/50 pre-mixes. Any old fluid in the system or additives and the protection drops quickly. I buy concentrate and run it 55/45 or 60/40 for deep protection.

Google the eutectic diagram/graph of antifreeze and you will see what I mean.

I'm actually in mo, border with stl

Don't flush anything.

For RMI25 to work, you need to add it to the radiator.
You will need to heat-cycle that engine dozens of times to get the RMI25 to effectively mix from the recovery bottle and into the radiator coolant. Otherwise, whats the point of having it sit around doing nothing in a recovery bottle?

Do a ratio check of your radiator coolant temp info. If you're uncomfortable with the temp, then drain some of the radiator mix and add full strength antifreeze. Probably drain or siphon a quart of the 40:60 and add in a quart of full strength.

OEM brand sells Pink coolant full strength. Or, you can use some Peak Global full strength. The Asian Green/Yellow/Blue super long lifes can also be used.

If the coolant is 5 or more years old, I would just drain/refill the radiator, recovery/overflow bottle, and engine block and refill with new 50:50 antifreeze and not worry at all.

All,

Wanted to update - I checked the color of the coolant, and the RMI25 had indeed mixed thoroughly, turning Zerex Asian from pink/red to completely green. I flushed out and refilled a little over a gallon, with the premixed Zerex - I'm not sure if what I did changed anything, but it did give me peace of mind at least.

I originally added some for my track activities, but I think until I get really serious I will just run coolant and not bother with this again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back