1000 miles in the new Malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JTK
It's a great looking car to me, in and out.

I've never driven this style Malibu. Do those thick rear pillars create blind-spots?

They really don't. It has pretty good visibility. It also had the blind spot monitor which I actually like.

There is actually a good use for the manual mode button!

When driving the car on long road trips and going through hilly areas, if you use the manual button and put it in sixth, it will not downshift on the hills with the cruise on. It will actually net you one to two additional MPG's by not allowing the car to kick down on the hills. Works great for that purpose!

Originally Posted By: DriveHard

When driving the car on long road trips and going through hilly areas, if you use the manual button and put it in sixth, it will not downshift on the hills with the cruise on. It will actually net you one to two additional MPG's by not allowing the car to kick down on the hills. Works great for that purpose!

That's awesome. I wish they had better shift logic like that in my truck--I would easily trade power & speed control for mpg (IOW, let speed drop on hills instead of downshifting so as to maintain speed).

Originally Posted By: DriveHard

Yep, that's all I ever use the manual mode for. Problem is I occasionally forget it's in M until I stop and the car doesn't shift to second!

It's interesting how the styling is so personal. I really like the taillights. Looks like the previous version of the Camaro and the current 'vette. Both of which, I really like. In fact, I think the new Malibu looks really good overall.

I do like the way the Malibu drives (at least the rental versions) Not a sports car, not a boat. But plenty competent. And, I love the turbo engines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Not a sports car, not a boat. But plenty competent. And, I love the turbo engines.

So the turbo version gets a few suspension tweaks and does drive different than the ECO/Rental version. For what it is I am happy with it.

I will say I like this engine. The last turbo cars I had were mid to late 80's turbo Mopars (Daytonas, Omnis, Lebarons.)
I have to say what difference power is smooth and linear.
This is what I found out about it on line.
Twin-Scroll Turbocharger: an advanced, electronically controlled turbocharger with a unique twin-scroll design is used to increase power in the LTG Ecotec 2.0L turbo. Each of two scrolls on the turbine is fed by a separate exhaust passage – one from cylinders one and four, the other from cylinders two and three – virtually eliminating turbo lag at low engine speeds, giving the engine immediate throttle response associated with a naturally aspirated high-performance engine. The turbocharger generates maximum boost of about 20 psi. Because direct injection cools the intake process compared to port injection, it allows the LTG Ecotec 2.0L turbo to safely operate at higher boost and a relatively higher compression (9.2:1) than a conventional turbo engine, increasing both output and efficiency.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/ltg/#ixzz3sYApAt2m

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Very sharp looking car. The only thing I don't like is the steering wheel, its ugly.

Looks aside it is one of my favorite parts of the car. It fits nice in your hand and it the perfect size.

yet another reason why the 'mericans deserve my attention and business
01.gif

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Not a sports car, not a boat. But plenty competent. And, I love the turbo engines.

So the turbo version gets a few suspension tweaks and does drive different than the ECO/Rental version. For what it is I am happy with it.

I will say I like this engine. The last turbo cars I had were mid to late 80's turbo Mopars (Daytonas, Omnis, Lebarons.)
I have to say what difference power is smooth and linear.
This is what I found out about it on line.
Twin-Scroll Turbocharger: an advanced, electronically controlled turbocharger with a unique twin-scroll design is used to increase power in the LTG Ecotec 2.0L turbo. Each of two scrolls on the turbine is fed by a separate exhaust passage – one from cylinders one and four, the other from cylinders two and three – virtually eliminating turbo lag at low engine speeds, giving the engine immediate throttle response associated with a naturally aspirated high-performance engine. The turbocharger generates maximum boost of about 20 psi. Because direct injection cools the intake process compared to port injection, it allows the LTG Ecotec 2.0L turbo to safely operate at higher boost and a relatively higher compression (9.2:1) than a conventional turbo engine, increasing both output and efficiency.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/ltg/#ixzz3sYApAt2m

I wish they would put an upgraded/increased power version of this power plant into an AWD, 6 speed manual, Cruze to compete with the soon to be released Focus RS.

Then, we would FINALLY have TWO domestic nameplate 'rally cars' to compete with the Nippon ones.
19.gif
34.gif

That 2.0 turbo will do you well. Its an amazing balance of power and fuel economy and with it coming in so many models such as the ATS and other GM cars it has been refined. Nice car!

19" is the worst possible rim size .gov motors could have chosen. Wait until it's time for new treads and you'll see what I mean.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
19" is the worst possible rim size .gov motors could have chosen. Wait until it's time for new treads and you'll see what I mean.

Ah, the Trans Am had 19's for two sets of tires as did both of my other F-bodies. Never had one problem getting a set of Flakens, Goodyear Eagles or Bridgestones. It has Goodyear Eagle RS-As on it right now.

Just at Discount Tire
3 pages of tires for the Malibu 14 or the 30 tires are in stock at my local tire shop.
This isn't 1990 anymore.

I figure about a grand. I don't think I have had tires cheaper than that in years. Well between The Truck, Trans Am and the rest of my F-bodies if I can do it for 1200 bucks I am happy.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I won't buy a car if the tires are bigger than P165/80R13.

LOL my Cavalier (affectionately known as the Cra-polier) only has 14s on it. How times have changed.

I actually worried a little when I bought my 2001 Dodge pickup new and it had 16s on it. I wondered whether it would be expensive to get tires for it. Now they come with 17s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back