Wix 51515 Cut Open. After 400KM. Sludge Alert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an update on my Sludge Monster. '01 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3L V6.

Van has 262,850KM as of today. Did an oil change after running some errands, got it nice and hot.

Dumped out... PYB 5W30 + 1/2 Can Seafoam. Idled for 10 minutes.

In... PYB 5W30 + Napa Pro Select 21515.

By the looks of it, I should just be doing filter changes instead of dumping the oil out every single time.

Inside the can.
Y4jDZ9e.jpg

Filter base, spring, bypass, drain valve.
QYFhW6N.jpg

Filter Media #1.
cf2Bdgi.jpg

Filter Media #2. Right Click, View Image. To Zoom In.
BslyqZY.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Farmer
By the looks of it, I should just be doing filter changes instead of dumping the oil out every single time.

I have preached this before several times, but folks are still stuck on those short oil change intervals. The oil's additives arent depleted in such short runs so there isnt a need to dump it IMO.

If you are really worried just change the filter and top off.

I'll probably drive the van for 500KM, then put a new filter on for another 500KM. Then change the oil. I'm very curious on whats happening under the valve covers. Maybe I'll take a peak when I do the next oil change.

Thanks for the comments and advice guys.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

I have preached this before several times, but folks are still stuck on those short oil change intervals. The oil's additives arent depleted in such short runs so there isnt a need to dump it IMO.

I had a guy at work who had a V8 Chevy truck with 180K miles on it and he said he used
Moble 1 EP and says he never changes the oil... he just added oil and adds a new oil fitler each 5000 miles...

and he uses Moble 1 Oil filter..

I felt like saying your NUTZ or say you have to be kidding

but he was totally serious.

Also I figured perhaps he goes though lots of oil...

he said only time he adds oil is when he takes off the oil filter to ADD.

So what you think?

Last edited:
I agree with DLundblad. My friend has a older Saturn and he uses a ULTRA filter and adds some oil when needed. Changes the filter at 13k

Originally Posted By: David1

I had a guy at work who had a V8 Chevy truck with 180K miles on it and he said he used
Moble 1 EP and says he never changes the oil... he just added oil and adds a new oil fitler each 5000 miles...

So what you think?

I think that will work for quite a while. Eventually he will need to change it though IMO. A UOA from his vehicle would be most interesting.

Yeah, he's a little nutty. If that thing doesn't burn crazy amounts of oil it's not going to be pretty under there.

In my case I can't run long oil filter or oil intervals due to the amounts of sludge.

And the oil gets dirty quite quickly... But I guess it's cleaning the sludge out.

Last edited:

So what you think?

I think it is a bad idea to not change your oil.

Oil changes every 100 miles or whatever the case may be is a bit excessive too IMO.

Like i said, a simple filter change and top off would be good enough.

So what you think?

If its a commuter truck or only subjected to light load it'll probably be just fine with that schedule.

I wouldnt do that for a rig regularly towing at 50% or more of its rated capacity though.

My experience in a similar but more frequent schedule worked just fine for well over 100K for a relatively high load 2 liter turbo car.

In my 1990 eclipse I changed out the filter at about 3500 miles and added enough m1 10w30 makeup to stay topped up. I only ever changed the sump out 1 time after the initial break in run.

Never lost a turbo even without a turbo timer.
Never had anything more than light fuzz on the mags.

Basically I got that schedule and information from a discussion with a rep from Mobil and I was so dazzled with his brilliance and or [censored] that I blindly tried it with my new car.

This was before the internet was around to tell me I couldn't do it.

UD

Last edited:
I had a neighbor long time ago that had an old Mazda RX-3 that went through oil like crazy (quart every 500 miles). Every time I changed oil in one of my vehicles he would take the used oil (not overly used) and put it in his RX-3. Guess that's one way to "recycle".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back