What's with the looks of today's bikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I generally like the direction of the new bikes in the marketplace. The adventure and dual sport models feature long travel suspension that fits my 6'-5" frame much better than the low cruiser bikes. I have always been a function-over-form kind of guy so looks are secondary to performance and utility. I guess that's why I love my old GS so much:

003-L.jpg

That being said, the new Triumph Bonneville line looks like a nice blend of modern performance with classic looks....

2016-triumph-thruxton-1-L.jpg

big_103709.jpg

Originally Posted By: OldSparks
Originally Posted By: alarmguy

Until the day comes for the second bike, I need my Road King for the storage, long range interstate power, 2 up torque and comfort. Grampi is right in that on that.
Different bikes, different purpose. The Road King takes us to the beach and the mountains, packed with luggage and/or plenty of room to buy stuff and bring it home with us. At comfortable true GPS speeds of 75 to 85 without breaking a sweat no matter how loaded down we are.

Yup. I can't imagine wifey being too happy touring on the back of the Yammie or the Suzuki...

I don't know about that...Yamaha makes some nice touring machines...Suzuki, not so much...

[/quote]

I don't know about that...Yamaha makes some nice touring machines...Suzuki, not so much... [/quote]

Yes, for sure, Yamaha's touring line is/was MUCH more robust. After all, they are Yamaha, they make pianos too! *L*

Anyway, even at the lower prices for their cruisers, they struggle up against Harley and now also Indian.
Not many people know, the metrics, including Yamaha have stopped producing traditional large cruisers for the USA market. Example, last Yamaha Stratoliner made for the USA market was in 2014. I can only assume they are developing products but maybe they are giving up on cruisers? They just cant produce models that sell strong.

All one has to do and go to Yamaha's website (or any other metric) to see what I mean. I was quite surprised, maybe disappointed too. I have NOTHING against metrics, I just wish the metrics could be more competitive with Harley and Indian, value wise.
The metrics are great reliable bikes at great prices but the cost cutting is evident.

Last edited:
It looks like there was no 2015 Model year Road Stars that were sold in the US. I think the Stratoliner, Road Stars, and Road liners are just being sold in Canada these days. Metric bike makers drop models so fast these days it really doesn't pay ti spend big bucks on something that may be phased out of production in a hurry. That hurts resale, no aftermarket part support once the model is dropped doesn't sound appealing to most bike buyers. Look at the Honda VTX 1800, I've seen then for sale for $3500 or B/O. The Kawasaki VN 2000 died after a short production run, and can be a bear to get parts for new or used. the Vaquaro might be the next to buy the farm, if sales don't pick up for it.,,

Interesting thread... some of the new bikes catch my eye... others look not so nice... my last bike still my favorite... 84 ninja 900...
I think the interesting part is so many choices now.... you can find what you like... just might be $$$$$

Originally Posted By: alarmguy

I don't know about that...Yamaha makes some nice touring machines...Suzuki, not so much... [/quote]

Yes, for sure, Yamaha's touring line is/was MUCH more robust. After all, they are Yamaha, they make pianos too! *L*

Anyway, even at the lower prices for their cruisers, they struggle up against Harley and now also Indian.
Not many people know, the metrics, including Yamaha have stopped producing traditional large cruisers for the USA market. Example, last Yamaha Stratoliner made for the USA market was in 2014. I can only assume they are developing products but maybe they are giving up on cruisers? They just cant produce models that sell strong.

All one has to do and go to Yamaha's website (or any other metric) to see what I mean. I was quite surprised, maybe disappointed too. I have NOTHING against metrics, I just wish the metrics could be more competitive with Harley and Indian, value wise.
The metrics are great reliable bikes at great prices but the cost cutting is evident.

[/quote]

The metrics don't sell because too many people are drinking the Kool-Aid in thinking that because bikes cost $30K or $40k or more that they must be a superior product than the less expensive bikes...

Last edited:
I don't believe it's because they think they have to spend 30 or 40 k for a bike. If you don't have that kind of scratch, you buy what you can afford. I feel the metric bikes come across too much, like a cheap imitation of big American touring bikes. And their fit and finish back up that statement. Plastic chrome is cheesy. Their lower prices give off the vibe you get what you pay for, but makes it hard to justify buying a new bike, when used ones are 50% or less then a new bike. When you can buy a new 2 or 3 year old bikes in the crate, that doesn't exactly relate to good resale numbers. And when they drop a model, want and desire to own one of those models goes way down, as does factory and aftermarket support. Add that to the fact they change models so often it doesn't exactly create a feeling that the company has faith in their product.,,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
I don't believe it's because they think they have to spend 30 or 40 k for a bike. If you don't have that kind of scratch, you buy what you can afford. I feel the metric bikes come across too much, like a cheap imitation of big American touring bikes. And their fit and finish back up that statement. Plastic chrome is cheesy. Their lower prices give off the vibe you get what you pay for, but makes it hard to justify buying a new bike, when used ones are 50% or less then a new bike. When you can buy a new 2 or 3 year old bikes in the crate, that doesn't exactly relate to good resale numbers. And when they drop a model, want and desire to own one of those models goes way down, as does factory and aftermarket support. Add that to the fact they change models so often it doesn't exactly create a feeling that the company has faith in their product.,,,

I'll give you your point about the cheesy plastic parts, but that certainly doesn't determine how well/poorly made a bike is throughout. If that's the only reason metrics don't sell, and American bikes do, then I guess the motorcycle buying public is more shallow than could be imagined. I also don't see how coming out with new models hurts sales. Maybe they don't want to become stale. To me, offering the same models every year gets old...who wants the same model bike now that was around 15 or 20 years ago?

If I want a bike like a Harley it would have to be a Harley . Other wanna bes aren't a Harley! I have never owned a Harley but there is just something About the looks of a Harley that I have loved ever since the first time I ever saw a Harley.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna

I'll give you your point about the cheesy plastic parts, but that certainly doesn't determine how well/poorly made a bike is throughout. If that's the only reason metrics don't sell, and American bikes do, then I guess the motorcycle buying public is more shallow than could be imagined. I also don't see how coming out with new models hurts sales. Maybe they don't want to become stale. To me, offering the same models every year gets old...who wants the same model bike now that was around 15 or 20 years ago?
Most of the motorcycle buying public is very shallow. They buy a motorcycle for some lame reasons, then put it in the garage, make payments for years, and don't ride them. That's why it's not hard to find 10 year old bikes with 5k miles on them ,for a song. There's a difference between being stale and being what the public wants to buy. For example starting in 1980 until today, how many metric bikes were made , then dropped from production ?. Many companies found success in the dirt bike market or the race bike market. But that success couldn't carry over into the cruiser or touring market. Having a 5 or 6 yr production run won't build a following of loyal repeat purchasers. And it's not like they drop one model and come out with a replacement model, it's like they never existed. When they flood the market with lower priced mass produced bikes that don't sell, their value and demand for them goes thru the floor.,,

Originally Posted By: CT8
If I want a bike like a Harley it would have to be a Harley . Other wanna bes aren't a Harley! I have never owned a Harley but there is just something About the looks of a Harley that I have loved ever since the first time I ever saw a Harley.

I don't get into the brand thing with bikes. The name on the tank means nothing to me. I've owned bikes from all of the big 4 and I've loved them all, and now I own a Triumph...to each their own I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back