Partsmaster 67060 4000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filter was on my Silverado with a mix of Valvoline Next Gen and Valvoline Next Gen Maxlife. There's a tear in the last pic, seems to have caught quite a bit of crud still. First Wix made filter I have seen with a tear. First filter that Ive cut open that's had a tear.

Where do you find these filters at? I dont believe i have ever heard of them.

The tear is in an interesting location.

Up here, they can be found at AutoValue stores. Good value. They are around $3-$4 for my applications.

I'm wondering if that tear is just a manufacturing defect as opposed to a widespread problem.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Where do you find these filters at? I dont believe i have ever heard of them.

The tear is in an interesting location.
I bought a couple off Rockauto. Comparable to the Napa Silver and Microgard.

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Odd place to tear! Could that be had during dissection?
I dont think so, I cut it at the baseplate and pulled it out. No other marks on it

Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
interesting, i just bought 5 partsmaster/wix filters from rockauto. i guess i'll have to run them and cut them open
For sure cut them and post em up!

Surprising. I have run and cut a bunch of the cheapy Wix's and never seen one tear, the media is brittle though and will tear with sideways pressure from your thumb.

Thanks for the cut and post!

Originally Posted By: sir1900
Up here, they can be found at AutoValue stores. Good value. They are around $3-$4 for my applications.

I'm wondering if that tear is just a manufacturing defect as opposed to a widespread problem.

I have run a few and cut them open and never seen any issues. Actually just cut one open off a buddies tow behind brush mower with a Briggs Vanguard v twin. It had been in service over a year and looked perfect!
Never nice to see a torn filter, but I think you have a random defect here rather than a widespread problem.

Originally Posted By: jorton
That tar in the dome end looks pukey. Is it from the dirty side of the media?

Yes, that is on the dirty side.

It just doesn't look like a regular tear. It looks like it was hit with a blade on disassembly. I'm not even a real fan of Wix filters. In my truck's application the media area of the Wix is smaller than most other filters.

Quote:
It just doesn't look like a regular tear. It looks like it was hit with a blade on disassembly.

I have thought the same thing when looking at other posts showing "tears" on different filters, especially when you see the jagged cans in the background that looked like they were attacked with a sawzall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back