Gone to running all filters for two intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do oil changes for my whole family, including the adult kids.

2006 Honda Odyssey (wifes)
1997 Chevy V6 pickup (mine)
2002 Lincoln Continental (daughters)
2000 Chevy Silverado (daughters)
2001 Mercury Grand Marquis (sons)

I have now reduced the filter change to every other interval. Oil is changed every 5000, filters every 10,000. After two plus years of doing this, I see no issues at all. I don't cut them open, but everything seems perfectly in order.

Just thought I would share this to all. Unless you have a severe type service or extended intervals, I would have confidence in changing filters every other oil change.

I do this on My 02 Ranger with very good results, And yes I have cut them open in the past. MC 820 2002 Ranger 4.0L Sohc 160,000 trouble free miles

My main motivation is to save the hassle of the removal 50% of the time. I have large hands and especially on the Continental and Marquis, the filter is difficult to get to and remove.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
My main motivation is to save the hassle of the removal 50% of the time. I have large hands and especially on the Continental and Marquis, the filter is difficult to get to and remove.

I can attest to that. Pain in the [censored]. (Panther platform)

I can relate--that was one of the reasons that I started extending on my old FX4. The filter was situated at a goofy angle and always made quite a mess upon removing it.

but having the old oil in the filter, is a small 3.5qt sump sufficient for delusion of the old oil?

Smaller the sump, the harder the oil has to work.

Never seen a clogged up oil filter if the engine had regular oil changes.

I had a Mobil 1 oil filter on a 2005 Civic for 5 years. The car only got 3000 miles per year and I changed the oil once a year.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
but having the old oil in the filter, is a small 3.5qt sump sufficient for delusion of the old oil?

Smaller the sump, the harder the oil has to work.

My vehicles hold either 5.5 or 6 quarts of oil. The GM and Honda filters are tiny, and won't hold anymore than 0.25 qt., if that. The 820's might hold 0.25-0.5 qts, maybe. In all of them, after the change, the new oil looks perfectly clean, so any left over oil is absolutely negligible.

I do oil changes for my whole family, including the adult kids.

2006 Honda Odyssey (wifes)
1997 Chevy V6 pickup (mine)
2002 Lincoln Continental (daughters)
2000 Chevy Silverado (daughters)
2001 Mercury Grand Marquis (sons)

I have now reduced the filter change to every other interval. Oil is changed every 5000, filters every 10,000. After two plus years of doing this, I see no issues at all. I don't cut them open, but everything seems perfectly in order.

Just thought I would share this to all. Unless you have a severe type service or extended intervals, I would have confidence in changing filters every other oil change.

yes

I use ACDelco filters and they are only a few dollars a piece from Advance Auto once you use the 10 of $30 coupon. I just change the oil and filter every 5K. I can't get myself in the mindset to leave the filter alone.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Have you ran a Napa Silver to 10k before? Per their site, they are only good for 5k.

Yes. Just as I have ran Mobil 5000 to 7500 or more miles.
Its pretty easy to see by photos posted here that even the cheapest filters can hold up to 10K miles.

Especially in my case, lots of highway driving + well maintained vehicles = Zero issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back