Tools Made in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
But, but, but... I can get the same thing cheaper at wal mart or harbor freight.

wink.gif

I worked with a guy once who owned both a set of Snap On (USA) and Blue Point (Taiwan made from Snap On) metric combination wrenches. Both were extremely well made and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two in your hand.

But just for fits and shiggles, we took a digital caliper to the open ends of each set. Guess which ones were more precise and consistent in sizing...That's right, the Blue Point wrenches.

I'm all about supporting domestic product, but it doesn't always mean it is a better product.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
I worked with a guy once who owned both a set of Snap On (USA) and Blue Point (Taiwan made from Snap On)

Sorry...Snap On doesn't make Blue Point. They only sell it.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
precise and consistent in sizing..

So, I take it you were testing metrological variation among other things. Did you have a statistically valid population sample? I would suggest to start with at least 35 identical items of the same size for each brand.
Then, precision thing.. it all depends on the metallurgy and the design; engineering and material science may determine different clearance dimensions and tolerances for the working end surface flex.

Carlyle is also getting close to Blue Point in quality on some items, which is a high quality level. Some SnapOn stuff is untouchable, some is just another tool.

Look at 5 and you will see why measuring between to points is going to be slightly larger with a flank drive. The corner of the wrench actually moves off the corner of the nut to a part of the flat.
This must be absolute precision, not just a measurement pulled out of thin air. This is why measuring a Snap-On flank drive to a conventional wrench is pointless.

http://mdmetric.com/prod/upt/269_upt13cat.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back