Subies, the engines again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dblshock
seems like a systemic engineering deficit across the brand to me.

Please elaborate...PLEASE DO! Or-you going to "bash and run"?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
OK- a rock hit a windshield and broke -then the temperature changes caused the crack to spread. How many times each day does that happen?

Almost all of those complaints are about windshield cracks, but most complain that nothing hit it, the crack just appeared. So it sounds like Outbacks have a real problem, though it's not unknown in other cars as modern designs put more stress on thinner glass; one of the main complaints I found about the Mazda CX-5 last year when I was considering buying one rather than a Forester was that the CX-5's glass would sometimes spontaneously explode for no apparent reason.

Either way, well over 90% of those complaints have nothing to do with the engines.

if thecrack starts from the edge, chances are the windshield got tapped there before or during assembly.

Exploding is quite a different thig though... too much flex in the carbody?

Originally Posted By: emg
OK- a rock hit a windshield and broke -then the temperature changes caused the crack to spread. How many times each day does that happen?

Almost all of those complaints are about windshield cracks, but most complain that nothing hit it, the crack just appeared. So it sounds like Outbacks have a real problem, though it's not unknown in other cars as modern designs put more stress on thinner glass; one of the main complaints I found about the Mazda CX-5 last year when I was considering buying one rather than a Forester was that the CX-5's glass would sometimes spontaneously explode for no apparent reason.

Either way, well over 90% of those complaints have nothing to do with the engines.

Maybe so....but the one complaint I cited infers the owner thinks the windshield should be immune to cracking when hit by a pebble.......at 75mph. Go figure!

It just seems like too many people are having bad luck with the windshields in the 2015 Outback and Legacy. A search does not find other Subaru models with this problem.
This type of problem can exist. When I was selling Toyotas one model was known to have enough flex that the windshields would crack. It was always the same, it started in the middle at the bottom.

October Outback Sales up over 16% over a year ago. Over 14,000 sold.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/...-300171387.html

You can do the math with the per-cent of cracked windshields.....

Amazing company despite "problems"/FUD has had sales increases every month even through the car recession. Products are decent for price, my parents spent $23kish on their base 2015 Outback now with 10000 miles and does not burn a drop of oil or have any issues.

Originally Posted By: Reggaemon
It just seems like too many people are having bad luck with the windshields in the 2015 Outback and Legacy. A search does not find other Subaru models with this problem.
This type of problem can exist. When I was selling Toyotas one model was known to have enough flex that the windshields would crack. It was always the same, it started in the middle at the bottom.

I had to have the w/s replaced on my 2014 XV Crosstrek due to a stone chip that cracked the glass within minutes. The (Pilkington) replacement glass started cracking vertically, straight up from the center, above where the connector is for the "heated windshield" grid. The glass shop swapped that one out for free with an unmarked aftermarket w/s. I wonder if the Outback and Forester issues are with heated w/s's?

Originally Posted By: madRiver

Amazing company despite "problems"/FUD has had sales increases every month even through the car recession. Products are decent for price, my parents spent $23kish on their base 2015 Outback now with 10000 miles and does not burn a drop of oil or have any issues.

True.

I think they make a great product for those who could actually get some benefit from the AWD, but there's certainly nicer vehicles for the money.

It kills me over at a Forester board I'm new at.. 9 out of 10 over there own ~$32K XT models.. I could NOT imagine spending that kind of coin on a Forester. I hated spending $24K on one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: Reggaemon

I had to have the w/s replaced on my 2014 XV Crosstrek due to a stone chip that cracked the glass within minutes. The (Pilkington) replacement glass started cracking vertically, straight up from the center, above where the connector is for the "heated windshield" grid. The glass shop swapped that one out for free with an unmarked aftermarket w/s. I wonder if the Outback and Forester issues are with heated w/s's?

You hit the nail on the head. Subaru has identified the issue and is replacing windshields for free/reimbursing people if they have a crack as a result of the heating element. Apparently the glue used can weaken the windshield. They sent a letter with a bunch of information about it a few weeks ago but so far my windshield has been fine.

It kills me over at a Forester board I'm new at.. 9 out of 10 over there own ~$32K XT models.. I could NOT imagine spending that kind of coin on a Forester. I hated spending $24K on one.

Whereas I so wish we could get XTs here for $32k... even before the [censored] exchange rate.

Originally Posted By: emg

Whereas I so wish we could get XTs here for $32k... even before the [censored] exchange rate.

LOL. I see that. $32K is on the light end even for the US market Forester XTs.

'
I bought a brand NEW 2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i, manual transmission in July of 2014. It started to eat oil from the beginning but the dealer said it was normal until the engine breaks in. So I continued to drive it and the oil consumption got worse. I was going through a quart every 1500 miles and the dealer said that's NORMAL for this type of car.(BULLS*#T) Now at 20,000mi and I'm burning a quart every 2000 miles. I should NOT need to add 3 quarts of oil between changes. I have spoke to several experienced mechanics and they agree this much oil consumption is NOT NORMAL. I'm going to go to a different dealer for the "consumption test". Can't wait to here what they say about this. Will keep you folks posted.'

- dme, Warwick, NY, USA

did much research on SUV type cars before picking the 2015 Subaru Forester. The mileage for gas is what sold me and also I loved the style of the car. I have heard many positive shares form others that have owned Subarus as well, so I was feeling pretty confident on getting a good quality car for my money. I truly do love the car it just has some issues that I feel are pretty serious.

The car makes a pinging noise and when I brought it in they did a software update and said one of their technicians took it for a ride and it was not an "abnormal" ping. I'm sorry, but any brand new car that makes a pinging sound should be abnormal in my book!

Then as I was just getting to 3,000 miles the add oil light came on. I looked this up in the owners manual and it said this could be due to the break in period of the motor and to add oil. I added a quart as the dipstick seemed like it had nothing on it. I was hoping this was a one time happening but it has happened 4-6 more times since always after an oil change as I am nearing the 3,000 mile mark. This oil is supposed to last 6000 miles and it is EXPENSIVE!!

Yeah, with oil consumption that high, you should be able to get a new short block. It's certainly not normal: ours hasn't burned any in 10,000 miles.

i am still [censored] at the head gasket issue from our 2002 outback. only car i ever had to dump before it was paid off.

Originally Posted By: super20dan
i am still [censored] at the head gasket issue from our 2002 outback. only car i ever had to dump before it was paid off.

I don't blame you there. Unfortunately it's a risk you're going to assume with Subaru ownership. I've read of owners with 2009's still having HG issues around the 150K mile mark.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
'
I bought a brand NEW 2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i, manual transmission in July of 2014. It started to eat oil from the beginning but the dealer said it was normal until the engine breaks in. So I continued to drive it and the oil consumption got worse. I was going through a quart every 1500 miles and the dealer said that's NORMAL for this type of car.(BULLS*#T) Now at 20,000mi and I'm burning a quart every 2000 miles. I should NOT need to add 3 quarts of oil between changes. I have spoke to several experienced mechanics and they agree this much oil consumption is NOT NORMAL. I'm going to go to a different dealer for the "consumption test". Can't wait to here what they say about this. Will keep you folks posted.'

- dme, Warwick, NY, USA

I'm not a Subaru owner, but I have been tempted.

Wouldn't this level of oil consumption cause problems with the cat and O2 sensors. Would it pass an emissions test with this level of consumption?

I'm not a Subaru owner, but I have been tempted.

Wouldn't this level of oil consumption cause problems with the cat and O2 sensors. Would it pass an emissions test with this level of consumption? [/quote]

Oh my, components from the piston rings south to the exhaust tips your looking at systemic failure, motor oil is not designed to be burnt like that, over time it has to reek havoc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back