TPMS on cheap winter rims

Status
Not open for further replies.
Id ignore the light for a few months, unless something like ABS or TC is reliant upon TPMS.

You mean $30 per tire or $30 total?

I'd probably get them. It's come in handy a couple times, once had a screw in the tire and it would have gone flat after a short distance and maybe ruined the rim plus I'd be stuck. Knowing about the low air pressure allowed me to get it fixed quickly.

I have no love for TPMS. Doesn't activate until they are low enough to feel anyways. Just another way for the guberment to mess with our lives.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Id ignore the light for a few months, unless something like ABS or TC is reliant upon TPMS.

That is what I do.

You could park with the tires close to the vehicle. That way the ecu "hears" the sensors. You might get it to work before it notices.

Like others said, depends what the car does when it doesn't detect sensors. If it's a Honda that permanently enables traction control, get the sensors and the relearn tool. Otherwise it's up to you. One car has them, the other doesn't. It's nice not seeing the light all winter. And being able to check tire pressures in real time.

It is a safety item. Get them.

If you don't you loose Traction Control.

Also, it is nice if you hear strange noises you don't have to guess if you have a flat rolling down the highway. Happened to me.

I was going down the 20 Westbound and I got a flat before Ste Annes. This was my first highway flat, it was on the Rear Right.

My steering and handling didn't change, but I heard a strange noise, and I though it was the train beside me.

Well, I had a flat. Shredded tire. Paid for tow truck as you weren't allowed to fix a flat on the highway. Costed a lot of money and needed a full set of tires afterwards as they were too worn, but still had tread.

Get them. You can be really sorry, they are actually very useful.

I hate new things when they cost more up front and to maintain. I got no ABS, no traction control and no TPMS..i guess i like things simple, the old fashioned way..gosh and im only in my 30's..

How did we survive so long without tire pressure monitoring? I'd say its a personal preference. TPMS was designed for people who don't maintain their vehicles. I'd say its a personal preference. If you can live with the light then do it. The fact that you're here asking the question tells me you maintain your vehicles and check your tire pressure.

Wolf359 said:

I'd probably get them. It's come in handy a couple times, once had a screw in the tire and it would have gone flat after a short distance and maybe ruined the rim plus I'd be stuck. Knowing about the low air pressure allowed me to get it fixed quickly. [/quote

$30 total

Originally Posted By: bvance554
How did we survive so long without tire pressure monitoring? I'd say its a personal preference. TPMS was designed for people who don't maintain their vehicles. I'd say its a personal preference. If you can live with the light then do it. The fact that you're here asking the question tells me you maintain your vehicles and check your tire pressure.
A custom cut hunk of electrical tape in the right spot would help. Apparently we've reached a spot in automotive evolution where soccer moms can drive the SUV around town with a flat tire and not notice.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
A custom cut hunk of electrical tape in the right spot would help. Apparently we've reached a spot in automotive evolution where soccer moms can drive the SUV around town with a flat tire and not notice.

Finding out about a flat on a lower-profile tire can be difficult without TPMS. On older cars with high-profile tires, it was painfully obvious. On something with a 45 series sidewall, it can be hard to discern through noise or ride quality. The vehicle won't be obviously listing, either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig

I like to walk around the parking lot at work, at lunchtime, for some quasi-exercise. About once a month I have to send out a mass email about someone with a low tire.

I work with engineers.

It's not just soccer moms.

Originally Posted By: cat843
2015 Subaru is the vehicle in question. Would not want to loose traction control.

Confirm online if the people making that claim are correct about your vehicle.

Can't see TPMS sensors affecting vehicle stability and traction control functions. They monitor pressure, not wheel spin.

Wheelspin is detected by ABS sensors, stability control probably detected by a combination of some lateral motion/gyro gyzmo and ABS sensors as well.

My previous car, a 2011 Dodge Charger and now my current 2014 F150 both have never had TPMS sensors installed in their winter tire/wheel sets.

Apart from a 'TPMS' fault message lighting up in the F150's dashboard (the Charger 'fault' message disappeared after a few days never to re-appear later on).
Despite no TPMS, both of these vehicles' ABS, stabilty and traction control systems functioned quite normaly in slippery winter conditions.

Last edited:
I've never heard of the TPMS disabling traction control in Subaru Foresters. It doesn't in my 2010. I've had the TPMS light up before and no traction control light lit up meaning it was still working.

OT, but if the brake fluid in the G37 gets a bit low (i.e. pad wear), the brake fluid sensor level will flash during a hard maneuver. Then, it decides that there's a brake problem and disables traction control (light goes on) until you shut down and restart.
wink.gif
It doesn't care about the TPMS, though.

Originally Posted By: cat843
Wolf359 said:

I'd probably get them. It's come in handy a couple times, once had a screw in the tire and it would have gone flat after a short distance and maybe ruined the rim plus I'd be stuck. Knowing about the low air pressure allowed me to get it fixed quickly. [/quote

$30 total

The rebuild kit is $30 total, new sensors are $45 each or $180 total.

So I either forget winter tires or get the winter tires with no TPMS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back