Water leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey. I just installed a water pump and thermostat on a 03 364ci Chevrolet. It has leaked for about six months and I kept it topped up with mostly water, some dexcools, and a bottle of RL water wetter. It has sat for about 2 months - 10 weeks.

About a month ago I stuck a garden hose in just about every place you can with all the cooling system parts removed, until clear water runned oft.

The past week we have had some low thirties cold weather.

Everything seemed to install fine, but when adding water directly to the water pump, it gushed out in a pretty steady stream from underneath. The best I can tell is it is coming from where the front oilpan (10mm) bolt on the driver's side and the two (shiny metal, alum?) cooler hoses are. I could not pinpoint the exact location, but it is narrowed to pretty much a few cubic inches of area. I couldnt get the best look of the location but it has somewhat been narrowed down.

Btw, I was expecting weather in the twenties tonight so I ran a 60w incandescent in the engine bay behind the radiator to keep things warm. Soon after I was greeted with Duralast parts and AZ brand dexcool.

What do you mean by adding water directly to the water pump? If the leak is that bad it should be pretty easy to find.

I am not understanding either. If everything is back together properly you cannot have a big leak unless a hose has cracked open or a branch went through the radiator.

Searched the Gm truck forum and it sounds like a freeze plug could be rusted out from going half a year running straight water.......

Will check soon and report back!

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Searched the Gm truck forum and it sounds like a freeze plug could be rusted out from going half a year running straight water.......

Will check soon and report back!

I have dealt with many instances where a leaking freeze plug leaks very slowly. I once had a 1997 Chrysler Sebring that needed a freeze plug. We replaced almost everything else in the cooling system.

Cooling system repairs can get really frustrating. When you fix one thing, the next weak link fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back