Blackstone Labs Sample Trunaround?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've sent about 6 samples over the past month or two. Something there has changed. In every case, samples have been mailed via USPS Priority on Monday mornings, arriving at their shop on Wednesday morning, and occasionally on Thursday mornings. It used to be I would have my results by COB Friday. For these past 6 samples, they have taken until the following week (like Tuesday) to get results back, so their turnaround for me has increased by 2-3 days.

I'm NOT complaining about this, as I am definitely OK with this turnaround time. I am just offering up another data point indicating that the turnaround time has increased.

Yep something has changed there apparently. In the past I got these the same day more often than not. The last round took 3 and they received 2 samples on Thursday morning at 8:33A and nothing tonight.

I guess I really shouldn't care - it isn't that this stuff is mission critical - but with the not inconsequential price increase and slowing of service, I'm starting to rethink this.

$28 sounds more like $30 than $25 and $38 (with TBN) might as well be $40.

So my test were done yesterday. I logged into the online account about 5 and they were available.

I got the E-mail tonight.

That has never happened before.

Just found out through this thread about viewing reports online. Just logged on and they have all my 20+ reports from 4 cars the past 11 years! I've thought about using the NAPA oil analysis since it was cheaper, but that changes things. I know... I probably can type all the numbers out into my own Excel sheet and use a different lab, but I'm impressed.

By the way, reason why I signed up to Blackstone and logged in is that they received an oil sample Wednesday, day before Thanksgiving. Wholly understand why I still haven't gotten a report, but what I sent in was a report on a new (to me) car and it's already added in my list of rides on my account. No report yet. No charge on my credit card yet so understandable, but happy they are working on it. I'm not complaining either. I'd be happy if they get it done within a week or receipt which they usually do.

Last edited:
In my experience when they add a new unit you should get the report very shortly after. That night or next day.

They seem to be very behind presently. They received a sample on Friday after thanksgiving (not sure if they worked that day) and it still has not come, not that its critical. Guess the holidays have everyone backed up...

I wouldnt say Blackstone has a fast turnaround. Maybe better said, based on the comments here it can be hit or miss for whatever reason and we are just a small group of people, a larger sampling may reveal a larger problem.

Most times you will get your results within 4 business days.

However for the first time last July it took two weeks. They did charge my card within 4 business days but never got the report. Once contacting them a week later I did get it and to give them credit they did reply to my email concern very timely.

I can only assume a mistake on their part. Got the usual check the junk mail etc. Im way to experienced with technology to not receive an email and if it ever happened this would have been the first time out of all companies I dealt with.

Anyway, mistakes can happen and Blackstone did look into it as soon as I alerted them. For the most part I have been happy with the turnaround but I just expect a bit more consistency in todays world of ebays and Amazons etc, etc.

Last edited:
You know, the worst part of that is that I can have a package delivered from the USA to Australia in as little as 10 days with the cheapest USPS shipping option.

Usually, the bottleneck is Customs clearance once arrived in Australia, and OUR postal services' glacially slow speed. E.g., its take 2-3weeks to get a small parcel transcontinental here in Australia with the cheapest shipping, whereas a letter might take a couple of days...

It took 6 days from when it was taken to the post office, BUT it was taken on a Saturday afternoon, Monday was a federal holiday, and Blackstone received it Wednesday morning about 9:00am. I had my results about 60hrs after that.

For me 48 hours , I go to my local pack and ship as the post office is just plain bad , send it fed ex ground for 8 bucks arrives the next day as I am 250 miles from Ft Wayne IN ,
No lost samples , by usps and 3-4 days for results
Can't beat that up too bad can ya??

coffee2.gif

Hello, The USPS seems to have a system-wide glitch when it comes to small packages and large envelopes.
Most of the time they go through just fine but occasionally they go the "molasses route".
All I can do is guess at what happens.
My theory is that flats (large envelopes) and small parcels get thrown into "special trays". These special trays get shuffled about or delayed until they're filled.

Regarding any labs' in-house scheduling.......who knows?
They may not have a full time data enterer.
They may move fleet work to the front of the line.
One employee being out may cause larger-than-we've-experienced aftershocks.

This could be a great "poll" question for BITOGers. Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back