Want to Loose Weight but.... I am HUNGRY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good old fashioned diet and exercise. I feel anyone can eat what they want,just in moderation. Eat until you're satisfied,not till you're full.

As someone who has struggled with a weight problem practically since birth, I will give you my thoughts on the issue at hand as well as 10 snippets that may help you.

In April of this year, I made a MAJOR lifestyle change and went in another direction. I was (and have been) obese for too many years to count and have gained and lost enough weight though the years to make at least 3 normal people. I went from sedentary to extremely active gong from 0 miles per day to 10 miles per day and I have done a few 5Ks now. Since June 16th I have walked/jogged 1.6 million steps comprising over 650 miles. You too, can do this!

I can unequivocally say this--there is NO SUCH THING as a diet. There is only a lifestyle change and you taking charge of your life and health. Forget about Adkins and all of those fixes. Your doctor has had and been telling you the recipe for years--eat right and exercise. Every single day! As for me, I have about 40 pounds to go to reach my correct body weight and then (as hard as it was to lose the weight), the really hard part starts...maintaining my weight, which is where EVERY diet fails. You go on a diet lose weight and then go right back to what made you overweight to start with--skip that trap!

Here is my recipe for success:

Ten Thoughts On Weight Loss and Fitness

1. Make peace with yourself…

…for whatever you may be carrying inside—bury those old bones and leave them buried. We all, to some degree, carry baggage. Dump it, for nothing has a way of demotivating one as old “junk” can and harboring bad feelings can affect your emotional state of mind as well as your physical. Just let it go…

2. There is no magic bullet…

…just as it took time to gain the weight, one will not lose it overnight and there are no easy fixes. Determination, motivation, good choices, and hard work are all the ingredients of the recipe for gaining and maintaining a fitness level. Manage your expectations, but remember to revel in your accomplishments.

3. The Rolling Stones were wrong…

…time is not on your side. Today is the first day of the rest of your life and there is no tomorrow until it happens. The sooner that you commit to your new you, the sooner you will see results. What is on your side is consistency and the willingness to do something. Remember that walking 1000 steps is far better than your neighbor who lives on the couch—you are still “speeding” right by them even when you are only walking.

4. Celebrate your victories…

…just not with food! America has become a “food reward” country—most everything is celebrated with food (in some shape or fashion). Find a different way to celebrate such as buying new clothes or treat yourself with a trip to the mall—better yet walk that extra mile. Alternately, do not lament your losses—instead learn from them. Use these opportunities as a learning experience to not repeat those mistakes and move on. Speaking of food—never starve yourself to lose weight—this too will fail! Your body will go into hibernation mode and you will not lose an ounce.

5. Fifty-seven gazillion types have not worked…

…and it is because a fundamental change needs to happen. Ever been on a “diet”? Was it successful long term? I can answer that—no (and if it was consider yourself in the ultimate minority). Any idea why? The simplest answer is a core change needs to happen with the decisions you make about food. Diets are short term (at the very best) solutions. The diet industry makes billions of dollars per year on people just like me and you. You must change your lifestyle and your eating habits—then and only then will you see long term weight management.

6. Sometimes it IS about the math…

…remember when Mrs. Idleman, your high school algebra teacher said that one day algebra would save your life? Well, today is that day, but the math is far more elementary than that. In the simplest terms, if you take in more calories than you burn AND need to maintain your weight, you will gain weight and if you take in less, you will lose weight. Research and find that balance and start living it every day—you will be amazed at the results.

7. Find someone you trust…

…in the medical profession. Your doctor can be your biggest ally in the battle of the bulge and I am not talking about pills or quick fixes (and there are some out there). Find a doctor that “gets into you” and cares about your health. Have a physical done and find out where you stand, then together make a plan for long term weight loss and maintenance. You will thank yourself for this later.

8. Not everyone will be jumping for joy…

…and you will have to accept that fact going in (also re-read #1). There will always be those who put you down or try to dissuade you from becoming healthy—crazy right? Ignore them TOTALLY and consider removing them from your life. Having negativity hanging around your neck like an albatross is a guarantee for failure. If those persons REALLY cared about you they would support you to the fullest instead of “working against” you.

9. You are a Jedi…

…and the master of your universe and destiny. It is incredibly easy to become trapped in a routine that is neither healthy nor productive. Take charge of your life—it is yours after all to live! So start living instead of EXISTING—steal 1 hour out of 24 to make yourself healthy. After all, you deserve a good life and without your health you have NOTHING!

10. There is no escape…

…from the fact that exercise has to become part of your DAILY life (not your existence—see #9). The great news is there are infinite possibilities when comes to exercising. Find what works for you and have fun with it. "Your body responds very positively, very quickly to even small amounts of exercise," says lead study author Tim Church, MD, PhD. "If you're sedentary, you'll see a lot of your greatest gains going from zero to 10 minutes a day." Find the proper outfit for what you are doing—clothes, shoes, etc. Your body will thank you for it.

Wishing you all the best in your fitness quest!

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
Paleo is your friend. Less fillers, more nutrition means you eat less and feel satisfied. It's not easy, but it is the only diet I can tolerate. For weight loss, you still need to mind carbs and sugar but once you get the hang of it it's not too difficult.

Normal breakfast for me is 2-3 eggs, small portion of breakfast meat, a couple ounce of sweet potato and a glass of carrot juice or more often low sodium V8. Once or twice a week I'll have yogurt and chia which passes primal at least.

Snack at 10am, one banana.

Lunch is harder. I should pack more, but try to stick primal if eating out. Sometimes I just have a can of tuna and a granny smith apple if I'm not too hungry.

Dinner is protein, veg and another small serving of paleo approved carb. Could be beets, carrot, squash, plantain, yuca, or sweet potato.

Evening snack is soaked and dried nuts, usually a mix of almonds and walnuts. A small bit of dark chocolate, 85% sometimes.

Beer is hard to give up. I stay at two cups of coffee a day, and if I want more I switch to hot tea.

Dried fruits are only if my sugar is dropping out. 1-2 pieces of whole fruit a day.

This totally sound like something I could do! The day you described. May I hear more of your lunch combos?

Lunch could be a salad, with grilled chicken. NC style BBQ with slaw is a favorite, no bun or hushpuppies, though. Potato chips once in a while is okish. Baked chicken and paleo sides. Burger no bun sometimes.

Paleo is a spectrum. No grains and No legumes. Primal includes Dairy. I try only do fermented dairy, so yogurt, sour cream, kefir and buttermilk. Strict paleo is all organic or wild harvest. Not really practical for me.

lift some weights. Doesn't need to be every day, even twice a week for 30 mins helps build/maintain muscle mass. Muscle burns calories better than non-muscle.

When I started Paleo/primal, I was very low carb. It was a no go for me. My brain needs carb, and I need my brain. I can cut 80-90% of the carbs out, but still need brain food to be functional. I found adding in 1-2 pieces of whole fruit was the answer to keep from developing head fog.

Take cinnamon and cook with tumeric when you can.

If you crave sweet, paleo/primal will be a real struggle. No processed sugar, and low salt. My palate tends toward bitter and savory, so It's a very good fit for me...

OP, don't look at "losing weight" as a goal. Try to have "be healthy" as a goal. Being at a healthy weight will be part of it.

I've found that a cup of black coffee is pretty good at making me ignore the need to eat for an hour or 2. And as long as you're not putting sugary [censored] in it, coffee is a pretty healthy way to get some caffeine when you want it.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
However, a better idea is a common sense, well rounded diet. There are plenty of cultures that have lots of grains and carbs in their diet and don't experience all of the maladies that the current lore would indicate. Their secret? They not only balance what they eat, but they also exercise.

Yet you could have used that time to expend calories, rather than sit around watching mindless garbage on television. Simple math-you use more calories when you're moving and busy than you do when you're sitting on the couch watching the idiot box.

If you really want to lose weight (and I doubt that you do) then put together a plan that includes lots of exercise, and make it a lifestyle you can live with for the rest of your life.

This. For some people (like me). I have never had a problem. I have had to struggle all my life to gain weight. People like my wie, have to constantly discipline themselves.

She has done Weight Watchers many times. Atkins and others. You can't do them for long. They are successful jfor m aybe 2 years each time. Exercise and limiting carbs and suars as much as possible seems like the best way.

I would suggest a device that counts steps every day. Put on at least 10,000 every day.

Last edited:
If you are prone to over eating, or poor diet choices, don't buy food that is bad for you in first place. Leave it at the grocery store. Celery is cheap filler, eat half a pound of that if must eat something.
Also take your lunch and snacks to work with you so you can control your intake. If you have a vending machine, or donut shop nearby, don't carry change or cash to use them.

I've been on Paleo/Primal for 22 of the last 24 months. It can be a diet or lifestyle change. I find I have less skin issues and joint pain when I stick to it. I relapsed some this summer to eating poorly, but I'm trying to get back on it and stay now.

Go Primal for 6 wks, and see how you feel. The first sandwich cheat I had after starting paleo felt like eating ham between two pieces of cardboard. I don't really miss grains at all. I only relapsed due to being lazy and forgetting the effects of grain on my body.

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
Atkins is just one flavor of a Ketogenic Diet. There are others as well. Best to research the idea as a whole, and understand its advantages and pitfalls.
Here is a decent description.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/keto.htm

This post I agree with.

To the OP...you'll get loads and loads of info from people concerning diets. Anywhere from the "just exercise more and eat less" comments (true on paper), to the "eat only at MacDonalds and lose weight" hogwash.

Truth is, diets of many types do work...it's just how well they work with your type of lifestyle. If you'll never become a gym rat or a running/cycling type person with the desire and motivation do perform daily exercise...many diet adaptations tend to fail. Overeating and hunger pains can also take a lot to overcome. Sometimes we need to be honest with ourselves and ask..."Am I willing to exercise daily, study nutrition and only eat the foods my body needs in order to lose and stay at my ideal weight?"
Most people think they can....but far more often than not they fail.
If you are one....and my girlfriend is....that don't really like serious, daily, structured workouts....likes to spend time in the evenings watching TV....enjoys eating steaks, cheese, eggs, chicken (skin included), bacon, and just about any other higher fat/very low carb foods...a Ketogenic diet might work very well for you.
A Paleo is similar, but the results will take a lot longer than a true Ketogenic one. Paleo diets are a lot easier to fail (cheat) than a Keto diet as well. Like I've said before, my girlfriend is a very average older female that prefers housework and entertaining to workouts of any kind. She's done many diets...from basically eating very low calories and exercising like a maniac...to a few other fad diets that were impossible for her to continue. She would barely lose 5 pounds after two months of effort. I was assisting her with all that during that time and I've never encountered a person that has such a stubborn body/metabolism to lose weight. After her many tears and weeks of her feeling like a total failure...I decided to really give it my best to help her. That's when I finally discovered the Ketogenic diet. I learned about it by first trying to figure out how people on the Atkins diet (a type of Keto diet) lost weight eating basically higher fat and protein. I doubted it just because I thought all fats were bad...and carbs plus lean protein were good. That was drilled into my head and had worked well enough for me.
Anyway, using Atkins free diet plans/menus (available online to download...free) to get started (and some of the products they sell in the stores) we got started. She lost all kinds of weight within the first two weeks. It's called an induction phase. I could not believe it was working so well and easily....but it really did. She did not even change her lifestyle at all...just lived her life the way she wanted (no gym type exercise or running, etc.) and the weight just melted off. After my continued reading about these types of eating plans...I eventually got her off of a true Atkins and onto a Ketogenic diet. It's basically the same thing...but not dependent in any way toward Atkins products or services.
She's been on this Keto diet now for months and says it's not any problem at all staying within the guidelines. She eats whatever she wants as long as the food has a certain percentage of very low carb content. She eats no sugar (uses Splenda type sweetener) and must stay away from most fruit, higher carb breads, cereals, and cab laden vegetables. She can eat avocados, broccoli, some small garden salads, etc.
She's never hungry...can eat foods you would never imagine losing weight on, sleeps better, her upset stomach issues are gone, her cholesterol and basic health indicators have improved....and most of all...she's happier, has better self esteem...and enjoys buying clothes that fit her properly and looks great!
Anyway...do some research before you try any of these diets/lifestyle changes. Be honest with who you are.
Learn, learn, learn. It's all available online. Here is another link to start giving you the basic idea with food lists.
http://markmaunder.com/2012/07/22/the-basic-ketogenic-diet/

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Eat until you're satisfied,not till you're full.

Problem for some people is that they keep eating even after they are full because they haven't been satisfied in their brain.

Controlling weight has a lot to do with training your mind to ignore hunger cues from the body, which will go away if ignored. Then eat healthy foods and smaller portions to control caloric intake. And of course get some excessive too. The more you exercise the more calories you can have and still maintain the weight.

SumpChump,
You describe your problem with words like "taste excitement", "dazzle", "love", "desire", "craving".
You, my friend, are an emotional eater. You can try any diet you want but as long as you are eating to fulfill an emotion you will not succeed.

Are we talking about food or a family member?

Eat to stay alive and nourish your body not to "feel" this way or that way.

FWIW diets like Adkins and the other protein ketosis inducing mistakes are just that, mistakes. You need fat, carbs, and protein. Focus on healthier non-saturated fats (monounsaturated is the best), avoid carbs with wheat gluten (a lot of the gluten-free pasta is very good for this reason), stay away from sugar in general, and eat sensible levels of protein while keeping and eye on portion size and physical activity and you will be fine. BTW, an adult who is not trying to be a professional body builder needs very little protein but adding a bit more may help to stay satiated. Probably the single best rule of thumb I can give a person when trying to decide if a food is healthy or not is this: If you can grow it in a garden it is healthy, if you can't grow it in a garden then read labels carefully and buy the things with the fewest ingredients.

You have to be honest with yourself--if you are eating to feel an emotion you do not need a diet book you need psychiatric counseling.

I know someone who swears by Aktins diet because he lost a ton of weight on it. But I'm not sold on its long-term safety. Dieting is more than just weight loss; it's also a healthy, nutritionally-complete diet. He doesn't eat fruits because of the sugar content, and he doesn't eat many veggies. His diet is lacking in fiber and certain nutrients like Vitamin C, so he has to supplement with daily vitamins and fiber. A diet can't be considered healthy if you have to take daily pills to prevent scurvy

Originally Posted By: xfactor9
I know someone who swears by Aktins diet because he lost a ton of weight on it. But I'm not sold on its long-term safety. Dieting is more than just weight loss; it's also a healthy, nutritionally-complete diet. He doesn't eat fruits because of the sugar content, and he doesn't eat many veggies. His diet is lacking in fiber and certain nutrients like Vitamin C, so he has to supplement with daily vitamins and fiber. A diet can't be considered healthy if you have to take daily pills to prevent scurvy

Keto diets leads to major improvements in cholesterol. HDL (good) cholesterol increases. Keto has also been shown to lower trigycerides. These benefits are more pronounced and evident than in traditional low fat diets.
Keto diets also kill appetite cravings. They reduce blood sugar and can reverse early onset of diabetes. Keto lowers blood pressure.
When reducing body fat on this diet, abdominal fat is effected drastically. This reduces visceral fat...which is highly nasty to our organs. Keto has more of an effect on this particular fat than other diets. She certainly doesn't need Vitamin C to prevent scurvy. She eats peppers, brocolli, avocados...etc.
Anyway...it has worked very well for my girlfriend and improved her health....per her doctor and tests taken before and after.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cardiobuck
SumpChump,
You describe your problem with words like "taste excitement", "dazzle", "love", "desire", "craving".
You, my friend, are an emotional eater. You can try any diet you want but as long as you are eating to fulfill an emotion you will not succeed.

That's basically what I was saying about also. It can certainly be like an addition to anything, and the first step to change the eating habit is to re-train the brain how to eat and curb the cravings and out of control eating.

Wouldn't it be cool if they had a pill that prevented you from getting fat no matter how much you eat or what you eat ? How would that affect the food industry ?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Wouldn't it be cool if they had a pill that prevented you from getting fat no matter how much you eat or what you eat ? How would that affect the food industry ?

People would eat all the Earth's resources up in a shorter amount of time.

I'm convinced that some foods act as drugs, and that is why people can be so miserable when they try to eat foods they are told to eat.

If someone invented a food that gave the feeling of eating something unhealthy, but contains only the things we should only be eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back