Castro GTX Tri Shield unique?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking over some of the statements from Castrol on the GTX line and they say something that caught my eye.
(See below).... So my question is does anyone know about this and is it true that this is a Unique technology as Castrol says? Its always interesting when someone makes a claim like unique as it implies that it is different from what others are doing. I know that many will say its just marketing and if thats so thats fine but does anyone think it is something unique?

"TriShield™ This innovative technology uses a polymer that contains two chemical hooks that attract and capture both sludge and soot in a single molecule, helping to prevent particles from building up. With TriShield Technology, Castrol has improved the potency and protection that GTX provides."

I can see the comercials now. A dozen little gladiators armed with tridents and nets sweeping through an engine catching up soot and sludge...

lol... yes i know its likely all marketing but it would be interesting if someone knew what this polymer was. is this that type of polymer others have talked about being esters or whatever...

Some manufacturers love to take detergents/dispersants, AW/EP additives, and viscosity index improves, give them a new name, then act as if they invented something 100% new.

Just think of how many marketing dollars were spent to create "Havoline Deposit Shield" oil. "Trop-Arctic" oil is a similar advertising gimmick.

Meanwhile, you could just buy some Shell PCMO, do an oil analysis, and not see a difference between it and all the oils with fancy names.

Castrol is a master at marketing gimmicks but they actually make some very good oils. I have used Castrol HM quite a bit and it is good stuff. Tri shield? On that I have no idea but it sounds good ha ha.

Sure such polymers (Viscosity Index Improvers), that acts as Dispersants, arent new, at all.
Kind of PIB plus PEA stuff.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I have used Castrol HM quite a bit and it is good stuff.

Only high mileage oil that I have used in the last year that finally stopped a lifter tick, and the tick stopped after about three weeks using the Castrol GTX HM. It's golden in my book.

Over here Castrol market a technology called Durashield. It works in 3 ways so very similar. They claim it is new technology, exclusive to Castrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back