Phosphates ,and dishwashers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not necessary. Oxyclean is an absolute miracle.

My mother has been using phosphate-free detergents for 25 years. I have been using them for close to 20. This is just not an issue. If it is for you...the problem is probably the user.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: hatt
If you have soft water you might get by with neutered detergent.

She had hard well water, actually.
I've learned to not believe everything I read on the internet.

Stop blaming the detergent for your lousy dishwasher or your own incompetence.
LOL. I didn't know running a dishwasher required great skill. Since I'm dumb, and lazy, I need the detergent that works properly.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Why not just wash your dishes by hand ?????

No need for dishwasher .
Way more trouble and uses more water and electricity to wash by hand.

*This post only applies to people using real detergent. If you're using the neutered stuff that doesn't clean and using the dishwasher requires you to wash the dishes before you put them in the dishwasher please disregard.

Last edited:
LOL. I didn't know running a dishwasher required great skill. Since I'm dumb, and lazy, I need the detergent that works properly.

Fix your dishwasher and/or learn to do laundry. Its not hard.

Fix your dishwasher and/or learn to do laundry. Its not hard.
Was never broken. I buy the proper detergents, load it up, set it and forget it. Dishes come out sparkling. I'll let you guys hunt down the best machines and the best neutered detergents indicated by your overlords.

Haven't had to do that, its your imagination.

You're not on a septic system, then?

Not sure what a septic system has to do with washing dishes. Is that how you get dishes clean with neutered detergent?

Don't even go there with the phosphates leaching into the groundwater or some such nonsense. I'm sitting on top of massive phosphate deposits.

FYI, Cascade Commercial dishwasher detergent (with tripolyphosphate) has been discontinued. The "fryer boil out" product (listed above) contains exactly the same ingredients and it even has directions for use in commercial dishwashers!

I have a few boxes of the commercial stuff still. It works like God intended!

That's pretty severe. I know that phosphates clean much better with my (very) hard well water, so I use the Cascade Commercial. The Finish Quantum pucks are a close second, but still leave a film.

Municipalities often ban phosphate based detergents, because sewage treatment plants don't have to be as effective in removing phosphates. It is cheaper for municipalities to ban the stuff instead of upgrading sewage treatment plants.

Mid ranged or better tablet formulations like Cascade Complete or Finish All In One seem to work better than gel based products. Powder based tablets also seem to cause less buildup in the dishwasher spray arms, screens, and tub (particularly noticeable if yours is a stainless steel tub). Regular powder detergents are hard to find, and if you can find them they're usually a lower end, simple formulation that doesn't clean as well as tablets. If you look at the ingredient disclosures online, the tablets usually have more active cleaning ingredients than powder or gel.

Also, enzyme based detergents seem to outperform chlorine bleach based detergents ever since the phosphate free detergent started to hit the market.

If you have hard water, adding phosphates as a booster may still be needed... but for most people the tablets seem to work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back