British DNA Collection...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it's a bit old, but I wasn't aware that the Brits were collecting DNA samples as evidence for prosecution at some time later.

http://www.eyeondna.com/2007/09/09/dna-and-spit-law-enforcement-campaigns/

I DO recall that spitting on authority figures (like bus drivers, train guards and paramedics) was on the rise, just didn't know that they started collecting the spit, DNA testing it, and storing the results to allow prosecution later on down the track when they get a matching sample.

In a way, it's providing a voluntary sample, so I'm not much against taking, sampling and keeping.

dnaspit.jpg

But the next step, and it's been alluded to in Australia is to break open the vault of DNA samples that the Govt has mandatorily collected for decades with every birth...the heel [censored] cards are stored forever "just in case". One day they will use them for their original intent.

Like my sig used to say
"not everything's a Conspiracy, only the important stuff
45.gif
"

I agree 100%. Real intent is the key in many circumstances. This can come from across both sides of the spectrum. Collecting information to either protect or prosecute the public should be viewed with a healthy dose of skepticism. I'm not against certain actions taken in all situations. But I firmly believe we must be very judicious in the application of these practices.

Honestly the government isn't bright enough to conduct a conspiracy. Besides they are too busy lining their pockets and building up their power base.

My Firefox popped up a warning that the link in the original post in this thread may be malicious. Hummm ...

Originally Posted By: Shannow

But the next step, and it's been alluded to in Australia is to break open the vault of DNA samples that the Govt has mandatorily collected for decades with every birth...the heel [censored] cards are stored forever "just in case". One day they will use them for their original intent.

Can you provide a link for this one? I've heard about the heel [censored] (breaking the surface of the skin with a tiny needle to extract a drop of blood - to explain the bit under the {censored} label), but interestingly when my son was born last year I don't recall one being taken. We've another due in March and I'll watch for that also. I suppose they could take it when you were not around, but I do wonder.

I know they Govt keeps huge data stores, for example every customs departure or arrival card ever filled out, but they are considerably less intrusive and contain less information than a heel [censored].

What worries me about this is the perceived accuracy of a DNA test (and in reality the inaccuracy). It's still all statistics and when not used for positive verification (where you have a sample to be tested against a pre-screened list of suspects) but general screening (run this sample against the database), the larger the database gets the massive increase in potential false positives.

Not only that, but the implications if that data gets used for screening genes that contribute to known diseases. Sorry Mr C but we won't insure you, your Govt DNA database says you're at risk of XX disease. Governments are not known for the ability to keep data secure. I already have massive concerns about the move towards a federal medical records database. Just wait until the insurance companies bribe/lobby the wrong person to get access to that!

Ok... I'll stop now. I'm even sounding paranoid to me!

BradC,

here's the heel [censored] thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj-HzHi3dF0

I bought a mobile phone sim yesterday for my daughter, but to activate it needed my passport number for identification.

You are right about the Insurer's, when Howard brought in the compulsory health insurance, the Industry wanted individual risk rankings, but the Govt insisted community risk ratings...insure enough Aussies, and the individual risk is low.

They wanted individuals, and the right to screen how they saw fit.

You'll see they've started in that direction again, wanting to target smokers for higher premiums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back