Chevron Delo 400 LE 15W-40 + 5W-40 = ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If one were to mix 2 gallons of aforementioned 15W-40 with 1 gallon of synthetic Delo 5W-40, what would the approximate viscosity be? I assume this would become some version of a synthetic blend at the same time?

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
It would be a blend, and I'm guessing about 10W-40... But some synthetics might dilute slightly differently, so maybe 9W ...

No such thing as a 9w. It's either a light 15w or a heavy 10w. Leaning more towards the heavy 10w40 range.

15W-40 + 15W-40 + 5W-40 = 35W-120

One of our Australian members should be able to confirm if a car will run on 35W-120
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: volk06
It's either a light 15w or a heavy 10w. Leaning more towards the heavy 10w40 range.
Thanks Volk!

How long an oci you plan to run maybe blindly and how many with this mixture. Is this an older vehicle that uses oil. I would hate to go over 3000mi. Without calling tech support you are in the blind if the add packs are compatible or not. Many bad things can develop, sludge is just one of them. Just don't mix unless you need to in order to get home and maybe an oilchange soon after. Just saying....

Originally Posted By: Toaster_Jer
How long an oci you plan to run maybe blindly and how many with this mixture. Is this an older vehicle that uses oil. I would hate to go over 3000mi. Without calling tech support you are in the blind if the add packs are compatible or not. Many bad things can develop, sludge is just one of them. Just don't mix unless you need to in order to get home and maybe an oilchange soon after. Just saying....

I call [censored]. "many bad things can develop". Like what? Name one with some backing up of real data.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1

One of our Australian members should be able to confirm if a car will run on 35W-120
grin.gif

lol

Last edited:
Without calling tech support you are in the blind if the add packs are compatible or not.
How incompatible could the add packs be? Both oils are Delo 400 LE.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Without calling tech support you are in the blind if the add packs are compatible or not.
How incompatible could the add packs be? Both oils are Delo 400 LE.

Don't worry about that non sense. Being compatable is part of the API specs and requirements. As long as it's CI+/CJ your good.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Don't worry about that non sense. Being compatable is part of the API specs and requirements. As long as it's CI+/CJ your good.

Being compatible, as a part of the API requirements is that you can mix them, freeze them, heat them, and freeze again, and they don't blow chunks...that's the entire promise, as laid out by the API.

The "nonsense" is people taking two properly formulated oils, and stating that they can make an equivalent (or better) oil from them.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Hmmm...I think your order of operations is a little off here...LOL
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back