Stripped plastic in Briggs carb

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was cleaning the carb on my daughter's Yard Machine mower with a Briggs 500e engine, one with a plastic carb. Either I or the place I last had service done stripped the hole where you screw the air filter housing into the plastic carb body. Cheapo design.

Anyway, what's an easy way to fix this? It's pretty much a sheet metal type screw so a heli coil would be overkill. I was thinking a thin sliver of plastic into the hole with some super glue would suffice for giving the screw something to bite into. Is there a better way? It doesn't need to withstand a ton of torque, just enough to hold the air filter. Seems to be a fairly common problem with these plastic carbs.

That's the plastic carburetor that mounts directly to the fuel tank, correct ?

Let me save you a lot of trouble. Click on the link below and buy that carburetor. Let me know if you have any questions about installation.

LINK

Ace hardware carries insert in stock, they look like this and are ideal for plastic.
They push in and expand, I use a little super glue on it before i push it in. they look like this and are made from brass, this is just an example so can visualize what your looking for, they come in most sizes small to large, deep and shallow.

Edit: They cost about $1

http://www.zoro.com/e-z-lok-press-insert...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:
Just get a little bit bigger self tapping screw to put in it. Use washers if necessary to avoid screwing it in too far and breaking the plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back