Post Your Latest Coolant Change.

2010 Ford F-150 FX4 5.4L

Out: Motorcraft Gold

Flush: Motorcraft Radiator Flush and 8 gallons of distilled water.

In: Motorcraft Gold 60/40 with distilled water.

OEM Change Interval: 5 years/100,000 miles

In use: 5 years/150,000 miles

96 jeep 4.0 100k

new radiator/water pump/thermo etc etc

out; havoline 50/50
in; same thing jeep runs at 210 actually a hair under

2006 Durango 4.7L with 110k miles
Out: probably the factory fill
In: SuperTech all makes/models 50% after a full flush and new thermostat.

Full flush took forever because the Durango has the rear cabin heat. Fluid change was prompted by a bad thermostat. Not sure SuperTech was a super good idea but the truck seems happy for now.

Detroit Diesel Power Cool Plus in 05 Mercedes Unimog U500. About 42 qt cooling system with Webasto pre-heater, it came out to 56% ethylene glycol or -50F freeze protection.
supposedly good for 12000 hrs/500Kmi/8yrs.

Charlie

02 Chevy prizm lsi
Out: unknown (brown, reddish color)
Drain and fill rad with distilled water 5 times
In: dexcool orange (40%), distilled water (60%)

97 Ford F150

Out Not sure. Repair shop put in some universal long life yellow coolant. Said any universal coolant would work for topping off. Still looked good but I was concerned about what was really in the radiator. Some Dex Clone?

Drained and flushed until water ran clear. Flushed all that out with Distilled water.

In Zerex G0-5 for 50/50 mix. I feel better now.

2005 GMC Yukon, 163k. Out, Dex Cruel, T flush with tap to start, then a 1 hour drive with NAPA Rad Cleaner. T flush again, drain, RO fill, drain. Replace thermostat, RO fill, drain, then Peak Global Lifetime concentrate, and RO top off. I was surprised but it was clean, and no residue or crud came out at any time.
PGL was super easy to get. Went to NAPA.com, had it sent to my local NAPA, picked it up at the store.

Last edited:
Same car as my 7/24/15 post only at 72,350 miles now ( 12,350 miles later).

1/2 gallon drained out and replaced with Honda Genuine Type 2 coolant.

It was what was left over from the last drain and fill.

My neighbor's inventory is now depleted. Kira

06 Cadillac escalade ext 163K miles
Out: I assume dexcool orange (did not look good)
In: AC Delco brand dexcool

I had to replace the rad due to a leak, decided to replace rad hoses and thermostat, might as well flush the entire system. Removed the stat, Drain and refill w distilled water, and ran the truck. Did this multiple times until water drained clear. Replaced the stat w a new OEM one. According to the manual, system cap is 16.8 qts so I dumped 2 gallons on concentrate dexcool and topped off w distilled water. Test drove and no leaks. Now I don't have to touch it for 5 yrs

2008 Dodge Dakota SLT 4.7 4x4..Installed new radiator.Poured in OEM coolant..good as it gets..im happy now

92 Mercedes 190E 127,314 miles
Dealer installed Coolant in 2+ years after head gasket repair.

Flushed with LiquiMoly Flush and Distilled Water.
Flushed 2 more times with DW only.

Swapped out upper and lower hoses.

Refilled with MB Coolant (blue)

Drained coolant after flushes. Last one on the left.

Fourth of July change. Drained what I think is the factory GM fill on my 2010 Chevy 15-passenger van. We bought it off a Govt. lease @ 110,000 miles in 2013 so it was maintained in a fleet but I don't think it was done since coolants are 5 yr/150,000 miles. The pH was still 8.1 so I don't think there was anything wrong with it even though I'm technically at 6-years.

I flushed a couple times with distilled water and filled with the Walmart Prestone Dex-coool.

A week ago I drained the radiator and got about 1-1/2 to 2 gallons of 4 yr old DexCool out of system. It looked pretty good visually with almost no discoloration and no sediment. Put 1 gallon of Prestone DexCool 50/50 mix back in (distilled water + full strength DexCool). Noticed that the initial voltage on the coolant dropped from around 0.55v DC to 0.15v DC (+ in coolant and - on battery terminal). I'll probably do this one more time.

2002 Ford Crown Vic PI 187k
Ran 10 gallons of DW through it after replacing the leaking factory block heater. About 92% of the old fluid was replaced.

'99 Cavalier, 230k. Sludged-up Dexcrap out, Prestone all makes/all models back in. Repeated 3 times in short succession, along with chasing down a couple of leaks. Coolant was finally coming out the same color it went in, so I think the sludge is gone.

Last edited:
2003 Grand Cherokee

Out: 6 year old/ 80k Mopar HOAT
In: Zerex G-05

I completed 4 drain and fills with distilled water then added 2 gallons of straight antifreeze to the heater core, radiator and reservoir. The system holds 15 quarts so it is just slightly more potent than 50/ 50. Over time, it should all mix up.

2008 Jeep Liberty

Out: 5 year old Zerex G-05 drained radiator only.

In 50/50 mix of Zerex G-05 and distilled water.

Back