Bourbon/Rye - what to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
'bout this time in 2013 I bough a bottle of bourbon to do whiskey pepper gravy on my Christmas duck and pork...

Time to refresh, and there are a bunch to choose from.

But noticed one bottle that was "100% rye".

How different/better is it than regular bourbon ?

What about "sour mash".

I do like a sip every now and then, neat, I'm not into mixed drinks or spirits, so explain away please.

Bourbon is made from corn not rye. Cooking is one thing drinking bourbon un-mixed is probably another. I'm a bourbon drinker, my favorite common bourbon is Buffalo Trace.

Last edited:
Rye is made from >51% rye grain and has a spicier less sweet profile than bourbon. In some cocktails for instance its better as to not make the drink too sweet. Such as Manhattan, Sazerac, etc.

If you're using it to cook with I would just get a bottle of Jim Beam and called it good. If you like to sip every now and then (mostly then, if it takes 2 years to finish a bottle) get Devil's Cut or Jim Beam Black.

ETA: If, of course, you're interested in trying a rye then Rittenhouse 100 is the darling of the rye "movement" and at $25/bottle not hard on the wallet either.

Last edited:
I know the cooking and drinking is different.

But given the rate of consumption in either field, and even Jim Beam is $45 for 700ml, I'm not going to have two bottles sitting around.

Happierto cook with good stuff than drink cooking stuff if you get my drift.

I usually make old fashioneds using Bulleit bourbon. I really like Bulleit in terms of price and quality. If I'm feeling cheap, I go for Wild Turkey. Cant stomach Jim beam bourbon..
In Montreal I pay 36.25$ for a 750ml bottle of it.

here...

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_140812/bulleit-frontier-kentucky-straight-bourbon-whisky-700ml.jsp;jsessionid=41943E7A0593B6AD681EA04DE4DD0395.ncdlmorasp1304?bmUID=l4.l0I8

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
I know the cooking and drinking is different.

But given the rate of consumption in either field, and even Jim Beam is $45 for 700ml, I'm not going to have two bottles sitting around.

Happierto cook with good stuff than drink cooking stuff if you get my drift.

Didn't see you were in Oz! That changes the game, why don't you throw out what bottlings are available to you and we might make a more informed recommendation?

...even Jim Beam is $45 for 700ml..

shocked2.gif

'Kentucky bourbon' has to be made 51% corn grain and aged 3 years in brand new oak casks, many bourbons are aged longer 8-23 yrs. although older isn't always better.

Another more expensive common one is Woodford Reserve.

upper end: Pappy Van Winkle

many others too.

Cool, so having "rye" in the bourbon section isn't kosher so to speak.

It was $56 for 700ml...how different, good or bad is it ?

Bourbon is the fastest growing liquor over the last couple (maybe more) years..but there's problems with that.

I really liked a Willett distillery product called Johnny Drum Private Stock, ran all the way cross town for years to get it by the case..it became popular and eventually they ran out early this September...suddenly, October the shelves were full again. cool, I loaded the boat but when I open a bottle they changed it, for the worse. In their zeal for profit I believe they loaded it with much younger swill, almost like shine. I promptly called the retailer and returned all of it.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
...even Jim Beam is $45 for 700ml..

shocked2.gif

Sin taxes...has been good for illicit drugs.

A girl on a night out could spend $100 easily if a spirits/mixed drink (and more if cocktails)...so they "prime" at home on store bought booze, "pop an ecky" just before they go out, drink water for most of the night, then have a few cocktails at the end.

I'm not a big Bourbon drinker. "I takes delight in the juice of the barley" Does this scenario posit a possibility? Guy ahead of you picks up a bottle of rye and walks past the bourbon section, sees something he likes better and leaves the rye behind in its spot.
grin2.gif

You buy bourbon cause your receiving 100% barrel whiskey. buy Am. or Canadian whiskey and it will be at least 75% neutral spirit with flavoring and only 25% barrel whiskey.

Good info...so the "Iron Horse" bourbon is all barrel while the $15 more expensive Canadian is diluted ?

There is one that is both inexpensive and gets good reviews even from the whiskey "snob" people - Benchmark number 8. Ralf Mitchell (ralfy.com) was able to get it in Scotland, but who knows about Oz. For your purposes that should be fine, if you have it available.

Bourbon was defined legally by Congress in 1964. Here are the legalities for those who want to know, or for those who got them wrong.

Mashbill must be at least 51% corn. The balance can be ANY grain, but is usually either rye and malted barley or wheat and malted barley.

Cannot come off the still higher than 160 proof.

Cannot go into the barrel at more than 125 proof.

Must be aged in a NEW charred white oak barrel. (Some rumors about the coopers' union having to do with that provision)

Cannot have coloring added. All color must come naturally from the wood. With new barrels it just happens.

To be called BOURBON there IS NO minimum aging period. The be called STRAIGHT bourbon the minimum aging period is two years. Most age longer. Jim Beam white, for example, is aged four years.

It does not have to be made in Kentucky, but 90+% of it is.

Now go look at labels in the liquor store. You'll see a few that do not have "straight" on them and a few that aren't Kentucky bourbons.

Spirits have been a hobby for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back