Synthetic Oil Q?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 20003 Chevy Silverado with 189K miles on it. I have always used 5W30 M1 changed at 10K miles. It has a slight oil pan leak but leaks very little.
I live in Kentucky and I will visiting some friends in Michigan this winter and was thinking about using a M1 0W20, 0W30, or a 0W40. Will any of these cause my oil pan to leak more? I was thinking that the 0W40 being a thicker oil would be the better choice. Any advice?

My 2cents would be to use 5w30 Valvoline MaxLife High mileage synthetic blend (Red bottle) And would be more stable than 0w40. The 0w30 would be just a tad thinner at full temps vs the M1 5w30.

Why not just keep using what you have been using? Just keep it topped off. Michigan in winter.. wish I could go south during winter...

i recently had good luck with Pennzoil High Mileage stopping a oil pump seal leak but I don't live in a really cold climate so I could see why you might want a semi syn or better.

Your Mobil 1 5W-30 will work just fine in Michigan. Don't worry about it.

However, I would use Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-30 in your truck but that's completely up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back