UOA - Gulf Western. Gulf 1 10w/60, Ktm 690 enduro

Status
Not open for further replies.
G'day,

Not my first post on bitog but my first uoa post relating to a bike.

I was interested to see how my current Gulf Western oil, Gulf 1 10w/60 was going in my ktm 690 enduro r. Bike has done 29000 kms.

I've used this over the motorex 10w/60, Motul etc.

This oil has 3000 kms on it. Long trail ride up into the Oz outback, plus abit of street motard riding.

Here's the results, any comments ?
I tend to change this oil every 2500-3000kms.

ohlljt.jpg

I have seen absolutely nothing that impresses me about Gulf Western.

But this one takes the cake.

KV100 is listed on the PDS as >21.9...that's thick.
Your used KV100 is 14.3

KV40 is listed as 130
Yours is 91.1 used.

VI is listed as >170.
Yours is 163...to quote a proponent "at least it maintained it's viscosity index"

Re their PDS
http://www.gulfwestern.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Gulf-1-10W-60-SN-1-2014.pdf
TBN is pretty woeful to begine with.
Flash point and density would indicate an oil that's pushed to a grade through VII addition.
P would indicate that it's an additive pack and treat rate probably that would meet an ILSAC standard.
It's "formulated with PAO"...

Ditch the Gulf Western...Mobil 4t, V-Twin depending on how thick you want to go.

1800 miles conversion, your uoa looks fine to me with an offroad /supermoto mix.

the super Duke 690 guy should step down to your interval

A couple of lower oci's might help clean out that motor , if its just buildup from running too long on oil changes. But looking more like its just sheds a lot of metal.

At your mileage you are fully broke in, and metal count is very high for a street bike.

This guy is a 690 enduro and has much better numbers, and really they should be worse than yours.

I should have some
Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
A couple of lower oci's might help clean out that motor , if its just buildup from running too long on oil changes. But looking more like its just sheds a lot of metal.

At your mileage you are fully broke in, and metal count is very high for a street bike.

This guy is a 690 enduro and has much better numbers, and really they should be worse than yours.

I should have a new report to post soon for a sample of amsoil's 10-w60 @ approx 3,000 miles. If I start cutting down my OCI I'll have to go to something cheaper than amsoil... and find a walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back