When should I change my car battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't usually replace mine on a time dependent schedule. I'll usually replace it at the first hint of a slow start.

If you do plan to replace, it might be worth doing a quick search to see if you can fit a larger battery into your vehicle.

What's the point of paying $150 for the ultimate platinum diamond edition if you're not going to run it for its natural lifespan?

You could get a good one then throw it out prematurely and put a turkey in its place. Same with thermostats.

I can't speak for everyone but the people I deal with are forgiving if I ask them nicely for a jump or are five minutes late to work because I had to get jumped. I never shut the car off anywhere "life or death", it's suburban America, for crying out loud.

Originally Posted By: vintageant
Batteries last longer if regularly kept on a Battery Tender.

That is only really true, if the vehicle sits unused for substantial periods. Daily drivers do not benefit from being "Tended".

I average 7 years in this climate.

Always had a manual trans and never needed a jump when they decide to quit
laugh.gif

I normally wait until they won't start the car. However, once it was getting hard to start and the batter was past it's warranty period, so I changed it anyway (after figuring that I had been warned).

Condemnation IMO is doubling of impedance or 20% capacity loss. Since it's not easy or good to capacity test a lead acid sli battery, you're best off looking at impedance testing and/or looking at voltage drop under starting load.

But a few years out with winter coming, is smart to replace.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Condemnation IMO is doubling of impedance or 20% capacity loss. Since it's not easy or good to capacity test a lead acid sli battery, you're best off looking at impedance testing and/or looking at voltage drop under starting load.

But a few years out with winter coming, is smart to replace.

I basically only have the means/tools and skills to test voltage drop at startup - is that sufficient to condemn or not?

My last battery lasted about 11-12 years in my 03 4Runner.

One thing I do is keep it clean with Pledge Furniture Polish. Sounds silly but I learned to do it from a guy that maintained batteries for a large solar cell/diesel generator operation. His batteries always looked brand new, like right off the shelf new and lasted much longer than several similar operations in northern Alaska.

Most people should not try this because they already know that it does not work without even giving it a try themselves. I'll continue because for me it works great.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
My last battery lasted about 11-12 years in my 03 4Runner.

One thing I do is keep it clean with Pledge Furniture Polish. Sounds silly but I learned to do it from a guy that maintained batteries for a large solar cell/diesel generator operation. His batteries always looked brand new, like right off the shelf new and lasted much longer than several similar operations in northern Alaska.

Most people should not try this because they already know that it does not work without even giving it a try themselves. I'll continue because for me it works great.

I've seen you mention the Pledge as a cleaner for the battery and don't doubt that it works for you. I wonder if the Pledge does anything special, or if it's just the overall cleanliness that keeps your batteries lasting so long. Just wondering if you knew, or maybe if you've tried other cleaners that didn't work out as well for you.

Which reminds me, I should probably do a quick cleaning of my engine bay.

What I do is have the batt. tested. I have had a batt. on my Ford go 8yrs, well beyond it's warranty period. If it needs replaced I check with Consumers Report for their recommended brand for your particular batt. size. Make sure you get one for northern climate,as they make them for both. If you shop at Costco the Kirkland batt. have rated highly and are very reasonable in price. I don't live by one though

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Do it now. Unless you want to do it in a walmart parking lot in the rain. they never fail at a good time.

Very sound advice.. ive replaced two batterys in the past 4 months on two different autos. Neither showed any sign of failer (slow starts etc) however both tested low.. and I did change both in parking lots.. one in the rain..

The key answer from all the previous posters is to go get it load tested. Without having it tested, you may be throwing away a perfectly good battery.

Batteries last longer in winter climates than summer climates, I've gotten between 6-8 years out of a battery on average although the last AAP battery I had only lasted 4 years, but I think a bad alarm sensor may have killed it prematurely.

This is a very timely thread for me. My current battery in the Camaro is 5 years old, and has been drained flat 2-3 times, so it may have some cell damage. I have been noticing that every time I start the car, the voltmeter reads 15-15.5 volts, indicating that the alternator is charging hard. I've also had to change the alternator 3 times in the past 2 years, so I'm wondering if it's the battery's fault. I'll go get the battery tested.

I am still on my OEM battery, and test it every year before winter to make sure its testing good. In colder climates batteries last longer. Im still on my original battery on my 2007. Starts with no problem when not plugged in all night -20 to -30 celsius. I have CAA and dont go far, so I am going to use it til it fails. Worst case I call CAA and they replace on the spot for pretty much same as local store if not less. I dont plan to replace it unless it fails a test or dies on me.. otherwise I could of replaced a perfectly good battery twice now without need to do so..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back