Which of these drills for home use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
crackmeup2.gif
I'm sure they are out there.

I have a cordless and a cord type drill. I don't use them very often, and it seems the battery is always low, so I end up using the corded one.

Seriously, for home owner use, Grab a Ryobi drill/driver combo for $99 from Home Depot. The same Rigid combo is $149 which ain't bad. Nice thing about the Ryobi is when you want better batteries, the top of the line battery twin packs (4 amp hour) run $99. My old Ryobi drill from 2006 finally cratered after driving about 1600-1800 screws during a fence project (impact drivers weren't common yet). The low speed gear in the transmission broke. My luck it was recalled a week later for a power switch, and I got a brand new drill that keeps on keeping on.

I did look into Ryobi but got a bit scared by numerous reviews stating that the "ratcheting chuck" has problems holding bits.
(and that the chuck cannot be disassembled to fix either??)

I agree with whoever said milwaukee m12 fuel. I use those until im forced to step up to the m18. Also everything ive had by makita has been great too. Never tried bosch or ryobi but from videos ive seen on them they would be fine as well. I would prob get a hammer drill too as its only a small amount more weight. Get a smaller battery if its too heavy.

I have been using Ridgid 18v tools for about 5 years now, I have called on their lifetime warranty twice for batteries, and there has been no problems.

The Drill has plenty of power, batteries recharge fully in about 15 minutes, the chuck takes 1/2" bits. But really, for me it's all bout warranties.

My local repair centre told me " he would call on the warranty for anything that did not appear to be out-right vandalism

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
I did look into Ryobi but got a bit scared by numerous reviews stating that the "ratcheting chuck" has problems holding bits.
(and that the chuck cannot be disassembled to fix either??)

I wouldn't worry about it, got several of their drills and haven't had one break yet. I used to just get them on black friday just for the extra battery because normally a battery used to be at least $30 and on black friday they had the drill and battery for $40. They sell lots of them so you're going to get some negative reviews. They're fine for home use, not for a pro who uses them every day.

I have makita, milwaukee, dewalt, craftsman cordless tool of various kind.
None of them has give me any problem, including batteries.

Originally Posted By: redbone3
I have a cordless and a cord type drill. I don't use them very often, and it seems the battery is always low, so I end up using the corded one.

I would be surprised if anyone but Ryobi still offers dumb battery chargers, but that is something to look for, a charger that will maintain a battery for the weeks or months between uses.

Given that you are of engineering bent, this is what you want to do:-

- Has to be Lithium Ion, No NiCd or NiMh
- Has to be impact driver / drill combo
- should have smart and fast charger
- should have variable trigger control
- should have at least couple of batteries
- would be nice to have expand-ability i.e. more tools using the same system

Almost all major brand satisfy these criteria, including Ryobi or Rigid.

Find your budget and get the tools rather than sitting on your rear end and researching to no end.

You are talking about $100 purchase. You DONT come across as somebody who has to wait for next paycheck to make the $100 purchase. Heck, you can afford to spend $100 every couple of years on this tool if it breaks after the warranty. Tell me if I am wrong in accessing your financial situation.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
rather than sitting on your rear end and researching to no end.

Some people enjoy that research part of the process, even if it paralyzes their decision making.
smile.gif
I know I am guilty of it sometimes, too.

Vikas is right on all accounts, except I don't NEED the impact aspect, really. My work will be mostly lightweight household work.

Thanks for ALL replies and feedback.
I learned a lot.

Finally went with a brand that I didn't research on yesterday:
HITACHI, the only brand in the price range with LIFETIME tool warranty and a 2 yr battery warranty:

Reasons:

-18 Volt
-great reviews by more professionals on amazon (contractors etc), than other brands from what I could tell - and no 1-star reviews at all
-2 batteries
-400 in/lb torque
-**** lifetime warranty ***
-LED placed base and angled upwards (no shadows as when LED is near trigger)
-(Brushless motor?? I think)
-Hard shell case
-$25 off special on amazon
- OK it looks cool, too, but mostly it looks SOLID somehow..
smile.gif

-Hitachi reputation for tools/machinery stuff.

All for $94 delivered with amazon prime, INCLUDING the 83 piece bit/driver set, also made by Hitachi.

This is what I got:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K0O7...ailpage_o00_s00

It's possible my choice is not be perfect but I had to get one, and after considering many pluses I could see with my limited knowledge and no glaring cons, and being within my price range after the amazon special offer for select Hitachi drill/driver units, I thought I'd go with it...

You still need impact driver if you are driving screws. When it pushes the screw in, it does NOT twist your hand instead. Once you use it, you will be wondering why you did not buy it before. If I were in your shoes, I would have picked up the other two tools Hitachi package which had drill and impact driver for $148.

hooray! you made a decision, although I question that although you put so much stock in the reviews, you ended up picking the item where there were only 51 reviews, which is why there are no bad ones, and about 20 of those reviews are via vine and somewhat shilly. If reviews were my criteria I'd require at least 100 reviews to be statistically relevant.

But anyhoo, as I mentioned before, all of the drills/drivers are going to be fine; so it's going to be fine for you.

Now you just need to spend another 2 days to decide what bits to buy.

Last edited:
haha - already got the bits: an 83 piece set by Hitachi ($94 was including all that) .

Like I said, I may not have picked the best (just seemed like the best deal to me) - if it's not good I can always return it within 30 days and get a full refund. (One big advantage of amazon Prime - never had a problem getting full refund, and no return shipping either)

But I think it will be alright:

I don't think small number of reviews is really a bad thing, and I did read reviews on it elsewhere, other than amazon - they were still really good.
When I used the reviews earlier I used them mostly to see if there are obvious known issues.

It's a relatively new(er) model compared to other models I was looking at, which might have contributed to small number of them. The outgoing model is also on amazon, and it also has pretty good reviews, and a larger number of overall reviews, being an older model.

If you look at Mebota (sp?), which is supposed to be German made top quality high-end drills(expensive, too!), amazon hardly has any reviews.
I am sure there are negative reviews on every make and model for sure, including the one i picked, but like I said, in worst case, I can return it for a full refund, and the liftime warranty gives me some peace of mind too.

Last edited:
Metabo drills are very good quality, but a bit behind on the latest battery technology and frills.

I think the Hitachi stuff is fine for DIY and has some nice frills. There are some complaints about it from people who use it regularly, but I have no idea if those people bought the lower end or the higher end ,larger battery pack brushless ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back