Manual transmission oil for 1995 Nissan Maxima?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What Castrol 80W90? If this is a not a dedicated MTF, and is a differential fluid, it is not suitable for MTs.
smirk.gif

Just remember, shiftability does not necessarily equate to AW protection and synchro protection and engagement.

Pick a fluid and live with your decision.
smile.gif

Last edited:
MT-90 works well, but shifting can be very stiff in cold climates until it warms up after a few miles. Southern California is not cold, but I have experienced this in my previous '95 Maxima during ski trips in the mountains. A many years old remedy was to mix MT-90 and MTL 50/50. Perhaps that is what inspired MT-85.

Problem with Pennzoil Synchromesh is that it is an 80-grade at 9.2cst and can shear down some.

My early post#3893120 has my recommendations. Pick one.

Originally Posted By: NissanMaxima
Hi all: Do others agree with Zeng that the 85 option is not adequate for me?

Here are some options I found:

Castrol GL4 80W-90 (I think this is petroleum based and not much of a write-up on their site):
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/C00C8E4961EDF3C180257ADD007520EA/$File/BPXE-939TEY.pdf
The castrol product doesn't say anything about yellow metal synchronizer compatibility but I think if it is GL4, it should be OK.

Redline MT90 or MT85

My quote on another thread post #3894530 on Tundra rear differential oils :
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3892887/2/06_Tundra_rear_diff,_Amsoil_SV
Quote:

To add further 'confusion' here :-
a)AGMA Gear Lubes Grade 5EP / ISO 220 has viscosity range of KV@40C at 198 - 242 cSt;(i.e above SAE 90)
b)AGMA Gear Lubes Grade 4EP / ISO 150 has viscosity range of KV@40C at 135 - 165 cSt;(i.e above 75W-110)
c)AGMA Gear Lubes Grade 3EP / ISO 100 has viscosity range of KV@40C at 90 - 110 cSt;(i.e above 75W-90)
d)AGMA Gear Lubes Grade 2EP / ISO 68 has viscosity range of KV@40C at 61.2 - 74.8 cSt(i.e above 75W-85)

Correct me if i'm wrong. blush

Edit: 80W-90 to SAE90

The Castrol 80W-90 you quoted falls under AGMA Gear Lubes Grade 4EP / ISO 150 referenced above.

Last edited:
Hi all:

I see that the RedLine MT90 75W-90 is recommended for GL1,GL3 and GL4. My factory service manual specifies GL4 and I have read that GL5 would be catastrophic for the brass synchronizers. Is the inclusion of GL1 and GL3 OK, or do I need a GL4 "only" manual transmission oil?

Also, it says it satisfies the gear oil viscosity requirements of 75W, 80W and motor oil viscosities of SAE 40, 10W40, and 15W40. Does anyone know why motor oil is mentioned on a manual transmission oil?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Quote:
and I have read that GL5 would be catastrophic for the brass synchronizers.

No, that is no longer the case so let's dispel that nonsense once and for all.

Here's the deal, a GL-5 (GL-5 is a protection rating) is there for mostly hypoid differentials, and does NOT have the friction modification needed for synchronizers, nor does it have the right viscosity for manual transmissions.

A Manual Transmission fluid SPECIFICALLY developed for manual transmissions is a called a Dedicated MTF or an Application Specific gear oil.

Examples of Dedicated MTF's for a 75W90 include Amsoil MTG and Redline MT-90.

As for your second question, this is answered by this link:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/

A lot of data about MT's and MT transmission lubes:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...sio#Post1231182

Last edited:
Definitely don't use a GL5 in your Maxima. I'm willing to bet it will play havoc with your synchros and you'll grind shifting into every gear. Experienced it myself and have seen it happen numerous times. Go with the MT90,it meets Nissan oem specs.

Thanks!

MolaKule: I found GL5 transmission oil at local auto supply stores but thought it would be the wrong choice because (1) my factory service manual calls for GL4; and (2) I read that the sulfur and phosphorus in the GL5 oil will corrode brass synchrhonizers. Am I wrong about (2)?

http://www.widman.biz/uploads/Transaxle_oil.pdf

Also, is it OK that the RedLine MT90 also mentions GL1 and GL3 in addition to GL4? I read on the site below that GL3 is an inactive category. ??

http://www.oilspecifications.org/api_gos.php

You are wrong about (2). Disregard any GL-5 considerations, since your MT requires an MTF with a GL-4 rating.

Quote:
Also, is it OK that the RedLine MT90 also mentions GL1 and GL3 in addition to GL4? I read on the site below that GL3 is an inactive category. ??

Yes, it is retro compatible to earlier specifications but that is not your concern with your current MT. The important thing is this fluid and Amsoil MTG contains an AW additive component for a GL-4 protection rating, and has friction modification for MT synchronizer assemblies.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...tion#Post729255

And for your location, I still maintain that

Quote:
The Redline MT-85 is more than adequate for a wide range of temperatures encountered at your location and is more shear stable than the Nissan MTFs.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=140&pcid=7

I find Nissan Oils to be less than satisfatory past a couple of months since they shear down to a low viscosity in operation.

would still offer GL-4 protection and FM synchronizer compatibility.

Last edited:
Quote:

We should emphasize again that the GL-4 rating for gear lubes is primarily a gear and bearing protection rating for systems that are not as heavily loaded as those found in hypoid differentials or Heavy Duty truck transmissions.

It should NOT be assumed than ANY gear lube with the GL-4 rating is suitable for Manual Transmissions.

Dedicated or application specific MTF's not only have the necessary Anti-Wear chemistry to attain a GL-4 rating, but also have the correct viscosity and friction modification for synchronized transmissions.

Bottom line is, there is more to a Dedicated or application specific MTF than just a GL-4 rating.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1231182/4

Quote:
Also, are synthetic manual transmission oils better suited for my application?

Yes they are because they have improved cold temp and high temp performance over mineral oil based MTF's.

A number of Synthetic MTF's have been suggested to you.

Better choose soon or winter weather will get you before you can do the changeover.
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NissanMaxima
Thank you. I tried to google "FM" but didn't find what that means. Can you elaborate? Also, are synthetic manual transmission oils better suited for my application? I found this product by Brad Penn but it appears to be mineral based

http://www.penngrade1.com/Products/Gear-Lubricants/GL4-SAE-80W90.aspx

You've actually found a highly components-protecting manual transmission gear oil in this GL4 Brad Penn 80W-90, in Nissan Maxima or any other manual trans that calls for 80W-90 or SAE90 gear oils.

Depending on your operating circumstances, I would hazard to guess it's operating viscosity would range from 37.4 cSt at light loads to 19.7 cSt at severe loads , delivering thicker oil film thickness/strength for superior components protection than all other gear oils mentioned in this thread.

A typical 75W85 would be operating between 24.4 cSt at light loads and 14.9 cSt at severe loads at weaker oil film thickness , thus weaker components protection generally.

As it's almost free of VII's , this Brad Penn would be very shear stable and may be put into operation at ambients of -26*C(-15*F) and above , more than adequate for Colorado.

Being mineral gear oils should not be an issue if you keep to appropriate OCI.
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: zeng

You've actually found a highly components-protecting manual transmission gear oil in this GL4 Brad Penn 80W-90, in Nissan Maxima or any other manual trans that calls for 80W-90 or SAE90 gear oils.

Depending on your operating circumstances, I would hazard to guess it's operating viscosity would range from 37.4 cSt at light loads to 19.7 cSt at severe loads , delivering thicker oil film thickness/strength for superior components protection than all other gear oils mentioned in this thread.

A typical 75W85 would be operating between 24.4 cSt at light loads and 14.9 cSt at severe loads at weaker oil film thickness , thus weaker components protection generally.

As it's almost free of VII's , this Brad Penn would be very shear stable and may be put into operation at ambients of -26*C(-15*F) and above , more than adequate for Colorado.

Being mineral gear oils should not be an issue if you keep to appropriate OCI.
blush.gif

How did you come to those unsupported conclusions without a thorough analysis?

The Brad Penn gear oil document said nothing about MTF friction modifiers (FMs).

All they do is give the usual B.*S.* about "yellow metals."

The cold temperature specs would result in increased shifting effort in cold weather.

The Redline

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=140&pcid=7

provides plenty of anti-wear protection and minimal cold weather shifting effort.

Last edited:
Hi MolaKule:

I guess from your reply there are better choices than Brad Penn but I had two questions:

1. does "Appropriate coefficient of friction for most manual transmission synchronizers (other's synthetic gear oils are often too slippery for proper synchro engagement)" (from the Redline site) mean the friction modifiers you mentioned?
2. This is my first manual transmission oil change. Is there any benefit towards having an oil analysis done and if so, what lab? Blackstone?

Thank you.

Quote:
1. does "Appropriate coefficient of friction for most manual transmission synchronizers (other's synthetic gear oils are often too slippery for proper synchro engagement)" (from the Redline site) mean the friction modifiers you mentioned?

No.

That statement by Redline is gibberish and means nothing and they should know better.

The MTF friction modifier for proper synchro engagement in MT's has nothing to do with those FM's found in ATF, LS differentials, or engine oils.

Quote:
2. This is my first manual transmission oil change. Is there any benefit towards having an oil analysis done and if so, what lab? Blackstone?

The first oil change will look pretty bad since it will have so much wear material. The only reason to do a VOA on the first oil change is to look at trending after subsequent changes, to determine if the factory crud is being removed.

Last edited:
Thanks MolaKule: So the Redline statement about "perfect synchronizer coefficient of friction" is what makes it a good choice for my transmission? I thought because Brad Penn mentioned synchronizers in "classic manual transmissions" that it could also be a candidate.

Also, these oils say they are suitable for transaxles. Are there dedicated manual transmission fluids, or are they all dual-purpose?

Hi Zeng: I'm sorry but I read your post the link took me to and I'm afraid I don't understand the relevance to my question. Can you clarify in layman's terms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back