Subaru Lineartronic CVT taken apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correction to above post: The Ford diesel uses Mercon XV, not Dexron VI. (Good example of why one should review before submitting).

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
Originally Posted By: JTK
Here's the image I was thinking of from over at nasioc. The OP of the thread said there was a screen/filter and it had a fair amount of "shavings" in it. No pics of the filter though:

That's my car on nasioc. I had the fluid changed at 10K miles. There's a screen above the pan that had the metal shavings. The dealership cleaned it out and reinstalled it. I changed the fluid myself at 60K with Valvoline Synthetic CVTF. Plan on doing it again around 120K, which should be in the next two years.

Very cool. Thanks for that!

Did you do a pan drop yourself?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6starprez
Here's the image I was thinking of from over at nasioc. The OP of the thread said there was a screen/filter and it had a fair amount of "shavings" in it. No pics of the filter though:

That's my car on nasioc. I had the fluid changed at 10K miles. There's a screen above the pan that had the metal shavings. The dealership cleaned it out and reinstalled it. I changed the fluid myself at 60K with Valvoline Synthetic CVTF. Plan on doing it again around 120K, which should be in the next two years.

Very cool. Thanks for that!

Did you do a pan drop yourself?

I didn't drop the pan at 60K but I will on the next service.
I noticed no difference at all with using the Valvoline CVT fluid. Another bitog and nasioc member, IveBeenRued, has Amsoil CVT fluid in his with no issues either.

I don't mean to say that they make a poor transmission, just that they've had some growing pains.

My Outback's 4EAT towed a trailer regularly over it's 15 years, with regular fluid changes. The 09 Legacy I've got now has the 4eat as well, I'm hopeful it goes 15 years.

From what I've read of it, their CVT is pretty robust. It did have some early issues that are now sorted out. I like when companies learn and improve a part, rather than keep starting from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back