OCI for low mileage vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo with 83,000 miles on it. It spends most of the time in the garage and only gets driven about 1000-1500 miles per year. Some of the driving is on autocross courses a few weekends a year.

I've been changing the oil and filter once a year (Penzoil Platinum full syntheic 10W30, OE Toyota filter).

Should I continue with my current OCI or can the oil perform well at longer intervals?

IMG_6637_zpsb03a9537.jpg

Last edited:
VERY nice little car. Those things are aging well. It looks fantastic in black.

I'm sure two years is more than fine but personally, my OCD wouldn't let it go beyond one.

I'd stick to the one year OCI you've been doing. Or you could invest in a UOA and base your OCI on that.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
If no short tripping, I'd shoot for a 2-year OCI.

I have a car driven very similiar and I go every two years. The oil has been thru analysis twice and was told I "could" go longer.BTW- nice car.

Last edited:
My '93 Honda has 44k on the motor, 80k on the body. Around 2000 miles a year. Mostly to car meets or 1/4 mile runs for fun. I change it every summer. 5w30 whatever I have on hand.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Keep doing what your doing.

^ My first thought also. If you wanted to go longer, then I'd think acid might be an issue with the track days, so a UOA should be performed before any extension.

Last edited:
I might change to an over-sized WIX (Napa Gold) filter for a bit more capacity and maybe better filtration ... But I'd do a once a year for sure. That's when you get to look at stuff and see if anything has come loose ...

Oil's cheap. Even PP is cheap compared to pulling an engine ...

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
4 years / 6000 miles easily on PP.

Yeah, every 6k miles should be fine, even with the autocross. Keep it topped off.

The MR2 never goes on long trips, mostly to and from autocross events or 30-60 minute joy rides. I guess I'll just stick with the once a year schedule.

Thanks, folks!

I do not track any of my vehicles, but do have a few that fall in your low miles/hours operation situation.
I do not base my oci's based by time, I use miles/operation/etc. I ussually run my oil in these vehicles to the shortest oem interval, ussually 3,000miles.

harvey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back