replaced i3 2100 with i5 cpu, nothing!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Win 7, p8h67l me mobo,. I have had the i3 for over 3 years no problem. I got an opportunity to switch it with an I5 for free, so I said why not. Now the first time that I turn it on, it says something about configuring. I believe I hit f1 for setup and it took me to the Asus setup screen. I didn't know what to "configure" so I got out of ther. I did notice that cpu temp climbed to around 141f.Do I also need to change out cooler? The original one stated it was good for i3. It can go into safe mode as I did try that. Is there something that I'm missing here? Thanks

Got to Asus website, and make sure the motherboard BIOS revision you have now supports the core i5. You might have to update BIOS.

The core i5 cooler is beefier than a core i3 cooler. Core i3 factory coolers are wimpy. I bought a core i5 cooler from Ebay, and put on a core i3, just so it would cool a bit better, and it did.

If that temperature was at idle, more than likely the cooler is not installed correctly, or thermal paste applied wrong. I am leaning toward the heatsink is not properly installed. Make sure the push pins are fully seated. If you keep on having trouble with it, just remove the motherboard, and then install the cooler with the motherboard removed, and that way you can see if the push pins are seating or not. If your case has a cooler cut out, look from the backside to see if the cooler push pins have seated right.

Make sure the MB can accept the i5, then also make sure that it is installed properly.
Make sure it is in the correct orientation and follow the proper heatsink installation process like cleaning the old paste and replacing them with new application.
Plus, make sure you apply it correctly, in this case, more is NOT better.

Last edited:
As stated prior, ensure that your BIOS is updated. If you can get to the BIOS setup screen, check to see that it detects/identifies it correctly. If it's not fully supported by the motherboard when you are in the BIOS screen, then it can run at full speed causing the temps to jump. It should settle back down once you are in Windows since Windows itself will recognize it can manage speeds to normal. Even if it doesn't utilities like ThrottleStop (uncleweb) can manage the speed.

At this point, you may want to check the thermal paste application. In fact, I'd just do it all over.

Last edited:
with computer open, put hand on heatsink, is it cold? then it's not transferring heat, and you need to redo your thermal paste.

Ok. One of the cooler pins was not in all the way. The temp climbed to 125f before I turned it off.both cpu's are same socket. Is there anything that I can do while in safemode?

You went from an i3-2100- did you upgrade to a Sandy bridge i5 (i5-2xxx) or a Ivy bridge i5 (i5-3xxx)? It's possible your motherboard needs a bios update to support ivy bridge cpus

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Not sure what i5 it is. Its from a Dell optiplex 780, I think. Is it marked on cpu?

Yes,
Free-shipping-Original-Intel-Core-font-b-i5-b-font-760-Processor-2-8-GHz-8MB.jpg

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
As far as heat goes did you apply new heat sink paste between the processor and fan base?
yes. Also, how do I update bios? Never did this or even known someone to do it

Last edited:
Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NothingNew
Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Also, how do I update bios? Never did this or even known someone to do it

Are you sure your motherboard isn't a P8H67-M LE? Was this you posting at Tom's Hardware back in '11?
whistle.gif
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/294796-30-asus-p8h67l-mobo-else

These links are for the P8H67-M LE.

CPU Support

Latest BIOS direct download link

MB Manual

Best of luck and Happy Thanksgiving.
Yes, that's the correct mobo! I forgot the exact model no. Thanks for finding it. I will look into those links. HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back