Mobil Super 5W-30 (?), 2012mi, 2007 Prius T, 72424

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well now here is a puzzle.

I recently got this car, it has a full dealership service history. This oil went in service in October of 2014. The car sat quite a bit during that year.

I contacted the dealer to ask exactly what oil was used and the reply was:

Originally Posted By: Toyota Dealer Service
We use Mobile 1 Conventional Oil and it is 4 quarts. We also used a F2 Filter.

Theres an obvious problem with that and I'm assuming it is supposed to be: Mobil Super 5W-30 Conventional

LOF.jpg

My intent is to put the car on 10,000 mile intervals with M1 beginning at 80,000.

Prius72424.jpg

I find it highly unlikely that this is synthetic oil at $2.00qt. Since it is unknown oil and out of grade for a 5/30 I'm inclined to change it now.

Talk me out of or into it.

FWIW I have the exact same car, I run a 10k mile OCI with syn oil as well. I may be mis-reading your post, but I think you're saying the oil's been in there for a year now in which case I'd dump it for that reason alone if there's been any real mileage at all. I wouldn't call that a major waste with convential oil, and then you get to start off clean. 5w30 is the correct grade.

Also for what it's worth I run all sorts of syn's, whatever I get on sale, and this car seems to love Mobil Super Syn 5w30.

Originally Posted By: stower17
What seems to be the problem? I'm confused with what you're asking us.

Well, I suppose one could argue I'm not really asking anything, but comments on:

• What oil does this actually look like.
  • Would you change it now, or continue to run it.
  • Keeping in mind it is over 1 year old, probably a conventional, the wrong grade (or out of grade), and has a decent load of fuel.

Would be on point.

TBN is almost 6, wear metals low. Run it. Get it hot, I know it's gotta be a challenge with a prius, to get the fuel down and keep running.

Sure doesn't look like Mobil Super to me...no Ti and no boron. I don't recognize the signature at all really. Probably some bulk formulation I'd guess. In fact TBN is so high and the miles and kv100 so low I'm not sure that isn't some bulk 5w20.

It looks to be in fine shape TBN wise but flash point is pretty low, with a year on it and it being an unknown I would dump it and start fresh with something else.

It has had some trips since I got it, it is about 2.5hrs from its old home to here of hyway/expressway.

Myself, I would change it and put in fresh. I was thinking they started recommending 0 or 5w-20 oil now. I don't know how many miles you plan to run a year; We use Amsoil signature series 0w-30 with a Fram ultra filter. 13,000 mi oci so far with uoa, with a Napa gold airfilter, 223,000 mi so far. When I figure how to do it, I will post the uoa's. I might add our daughter doesn't baby it and running the third set of tires off it. Mobil 5w-30 afs runs great for shorter drains Just saying. Hope this helps.

Yes sir.. You are spot on with your analysis here. Mobil Super Synthetic has 200+ of boron and their conventional has ti in it too. Is it possible that the formulation has changed since the PQIA test?? Maybe. One thing against that was the PQIA last test if ac delco oil made by Exxon Mobil.. Exact same has it was before and quite similar too Mobil Super Synthetic too. So I think that it has likely not changed that much.

Quote:
Myself, I would change it and put in fresh. I was thinking they started recommending 0 or 5w-20 oil now. I don't know how many miles you plan to run a year; ...

I'm quoting you in a general manner to address several points, by several people.

Related to the xW/20 we could discuss that in an entire post, but I'm convinced Toyota US hasn't published any thing except 5W/30 for the Gen2 Prius.

I will probably go ahead and change it. I already have the oil and filter so and I'll change it at 80,000 again regardless. So it is a matter of "wasting" this oil and running the new load of M1 for ~7000 or running this to 75,000 and "wasting" M1 at only an additional 5000. It typically takes something like 1.5 years for me to get 10,000 on the car I drive (which is this one) it depends on how the work season goes because the busier I am with the work truck the fewer miles my car gets.

I'll be using M1 EP 5W/30 and a TRD filter for this run. But I have some Ultra to fit it for the 10,000 runs.

One thing I forgot to mention too is that the Toyota filter they billed out does not have a silicone ADBV so I'm less comfortable with it for a long period of time... though it looks like a fine filter.

Last edited:
The Dealers quick lube / Express Oil Change webpage (Quick Lube seems to be what "Q/L LOF Toyota" means) says they use "Toyota Genuine motor oil" But this doesn't seem to be that either.

No worries I guess since its in the drain pan now.

I'll try to cut the filter in the next few days.

DuckRyder: Being as this is a newly acquired car, I'd recommend a "a scribing in the sand" mark that woiuld cleanly indicate your taking over the maintenance and driving of the thing. A new ground zero of sorts I suppose. Just the fuel dilution in your sample would make me do that. The car has new drivers and no two drivers are exactly the same, so a fresh start all the way around surely couldn't hurt.
Now what you do after that is completely up to you - you're a certified oil head ( as are we all on this site) and are no stranger to top of the line maintenance for your cars.
In the abstract, either way you go, you win, just if it were me, I'd give the old girl the benefit of a fresh start.
Happy Thanksgiving !

Hi double vanos. Yes that is my usual practice, though this car is less an unknown than the typical used car. It is an inheritance of sorts and I have driven it before. It has been religiously serviced by one of three dealers every 5000 miles. If this had proven to be Mobil Super (as a side note, Mobil conventional is now called "Super" and I never thought it was "Super Syn") and not been out of range for a 5/30 I'd have probably been fine with it.

I guess I also need to figure out how much fuel is "normal" for a Prius. This is my first hybrid.

Oh, and I hope everyone had a Nice thanksgiving. I know I'm stuffed.
wink.gif

Last edited:
I service my daughter's 2008 Prius and have been going with 6000-7500 OCI with synthetic. She has about 115,000 on hers. Pretty easy on the oil IMO. These Prius are pretty easy on everything it seems, brakes barely wear in fact still on originals, new 12 volt battery about 6 months ago (only the dealer actually had one, no one else carries them it seems) just changed the plugs and cleaned throttle body but it just seems to keep on running with very little maintenance need. I have gone close to 10,000 on OCI and oil seemed fine.

Your UOA actually looks excellent, very litle wear metals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back