When should I change my car battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, My car battery is working fine, but should I change it just because it has aged past the manufacture battery life expectancy?

I had heard that changing your battery before the end of it's manufacture life expectancy saves wear on the alternator.

But I've also heard that Quaker State will blow up your motor because it's made of wax....

Happy Thanksgiving!

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Do it now. Unless you want to do it in a walmart parking lot in the rain. they never fail at a good time.

I agree with Chris. We have discussed this before and some believe you should run a battery until it dies. But I'm all for preventive maintenance. I would rather spend a few extra bucks on a new high quality battery than be out somewhere and have the battery die, like Chris said usually at a bad time.

Also - might depend on if this is a daily driver or not.

I live in a cold winter climate like you and I have found that 4 winters is all you can reliably get out of a car battery. After that you are hanging it out!
Pete

I'd agree with do it now.
It really isn't worth the hassle and inconvenience of being stranded.
Besides, if it goes at an inopportune time, like on the road, it stresses the alternator which could cause damage.

I just changed the battery in my wife's Subie. It got cold here last week and I went out to start it, and it seemed to lag a bit.

I had the battery tested, and it came back as having 240 Cranking Amps. The battery is rated for 850 CA's.

I used the 30% discount from Advanced Auto and got their Gold battery (JCI battery) installed for $101 OTD.

I prefer Napa batteries (made by Deka), but their battery would have been another $40 on top of the AAP offering.

Originally Posted By: bennybigb
Hello, My car battery is working fine, but should I change it just because it has aged past the manufacture battery life expectancy?

How old is it exactly? Can't you get it tested at some local auto part store?

In general, if you're going to change it, change it now, before winter hits. Very cold temps are hard on the battery and you don't want to get stranded away from home when it's 10F and 2 feet of snow outside.

What is the expected life? I have never heard of such arbitrary life expectancy. Batteries life is all over the place. At least have a free load test at the parts store before spending on a new battery.

Our OEM battery on the Subaru is going strong at 6 years old. I throw a trickle charger on it every couple of weeks to keep it fully charged and extend its life.

I changed my 1st battery because it was 7 years old.
It was still working, but I was doing volunteer work and did not want to be undependable.

I changed the 2nd battery because it died in my garage (6 years old).

The 2nd battery is an AAP Gold
I will now replace it when it's 4 y.o.

If it's an AAP (Platinum) battery, I would go 5 years.

For me, NO MORE taking them to the limit.
And I think it is easier on the alternator (which is still original).

If it's still holding a solid charge after 24 hrs, and preferably for a couple days of sitting (12.45-12.65 v), it's probably still good. If consistently tended/floated and hot weather is avoided, batteries can last for 6-10 yrs. For northern climates I'd say 3-5 years is typical. In the hot south, maybe only 2-3 years.

Seems like I go until it quits. 5 to 7 years. Usually it just fails to work all of a sudden. So I will get a jump or two, then exchange, hopefully the same day.

If I wanted to be proactive (and I ought to start doing that), I'd just do it every 5.

Take it and get it tested. It could be fine or it could test bad. My 2004 VW Beetle TDI's battery just died last month, it still started the car but I noticed it cranked a little slow. Was only putting out 200 something amps! Also the 1970 Beetle's battery died on Monday, no sign of dying just nothing in the morning. Was 4 1/2 years old though.

The AC Delco Battery lasted over 9 years in my 2000 Saturn SL2.

It was still strong, but figured 9 years was enough, especially in COLD Minnesota.

I say go until your car wont start. Get a jump then go buy a new one.

Been doing this for the life of my vehicles. My 01 pickup was still on the original alternator when I sold it a few months ago.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Replace before they die.

this ^
I've never heard of this life expectancy that you mention.
this time of year, until about march,there will be about 20 threads discussing this, and the fan boy/haters of the different brands.lots of laughs.
at any rate, if in doubt, buy a new one, and call it a day.
if you need some entertainment, ask which is the best brand to buy.
have a good day.

I never heard of the battery life expectancy either. The OEM battery on my Mazda was almost 9 years old when I replaced it. I did not wait until it was totally dead. It started to crank unusually slow in temps slightly below freezing which to me was a sign to get the new one.
Upon removal, about half of the cells were really low on electrolyte. Had I checked the battery on regular basis and kept the cells full by adding distilled water, I'm sure it would last to this day.

If the battery doesn't seem weak, before replacing I would check the electrolyte level and top off with distill water. If you are not comfortable doing this, then just replace with a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back