Insurance shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjk

Hello,

I am probably going to do some insurance shopping this winter. I'm currently with Liberty Mutual.

Beyond the big names like State Farm, Allstate, etc - what are some companies I might want to contact? Any feedback on Geico or Farmers?

Thanks.

Insurance rates vary so much from person to person. Hit them all up and see who has good reviews and gives you the best deal.

AAA, for example, quoted me monthly what I currently pay every 6 months for less coverage.

You might want to go through an agency. I got tired of Geico's (good) rates that were behaving like a bait and switch, so I dropped them and an agent found that traveller's beat Geico by a few bucks too...

Does Erie cover MN? Heard good things. Can you get USAA (military)? Ditto.

I just dumped Progressive for Geico, and will probably flip back later in life. Awesome driving record, got complacent, got "rate creep" so had to go for "intro conquest" to keep it real.

Find a good independent agent or broker and get quotes from several companies with one stop.
I might add that I wouldn't change unless they are going to beat your rate by several hundred dollars.
I have found the last couple of shopping quotes that I have gotten, they wanted to know who I was with. Then amazingly, the quote came in about $40-50 a year less then my current rate. After some research, I found that both companies I priced are somewhat aggressive about upping rates at renewal.
If you have access to Erie insurance, be sure to quote them. Good rates, good service and their rates are stable. I have been with them for 22 years and have never had anyone beat them except in a potential baiting situation.

Originally Posted By: Al
I doubt you will do better than State Farm right now. Next year...who knows. I shop around every 3 years.

It is really hard to say because pricing is really market driven.
I shop every 2 years and have such a good deal right now that it would take a miracle to get me to change.
Except that when I took my Erie policy to my local State Farm agent to shop pricing, he admitted that he had his personal insurance through Erie.

I too had Liberty Mutual and then Peerless through a local broker. Prices were great for 3yrs or so, then climbed too high for me. They claimed it was the best they could do with all they deal through.

I'm currently through a local Allstate agency that gave me an excellent quote 2yrs ago. We'll see how long this one holds out for.

Like said, there's so many individual variables to insurance cost. Just have to call around.

I doubt you will do better than State Farm right now. Next year...who knows. I shop around every 3 years.

Esurance handily beat State Farm by a couple hundred $$ when I switched to them a few years ago.

Like you I shop it all around every few years. I'm loyal to nobody except my wallet.

USAA has the lowest rates BY A WIDE MARGIN over any other company, and their service is awesome. Only thing is you either have to be active duty, a reservist, a vet, or one of your parents has to be a vet in order to become a member...

Originally Posted By: Tdbo

It is really hard to say because pricing is really market driven.
I shop every 2 years and have such a good deal right now that it would take a miracle to get me to change.
Except that when I took my Erie policy to my local State Farm agent to shop pricing, he admitted that he had his personal insurance through Erie.

I had Farmers for like 15 years and had some accident claims and they were paid very beneficial to me for the losses. The rates had been really good, but I had rates rise.. ( not at all related to the claims ) like 3 years later after the last claim and started shopping. Erie is my new insurer. I have had one minor glass claim on a vehicle with them and couldn't be happier ! Rates are approx. half what my old Farmers policy was for home and auto together !

BurrWinder

Here in Ca AAA and Geico have the best rates. USAA if you can go that route has great coverage and rates. I have used a broker in the past and had Safeco for cheap with a claim. It worked out well. One thing I have noticed over the years is that AAA will raise your rates every time you change cars or move. Doesn't matter if you are moving to a better area or not. Or if you are getting a better car or not. Your rates will rise.

Originally Posted By: mjk
Hello,

I am probably going to do some insurance shopping this winter. I'm currently with Liberty Mutual.

Beyond the big names like State Farm, Allstate, etc - what are some companies I might want to contact? Any feedback on Geico or Farmers?

Thanks.

Dump Liberty Mutual. I contacted them about an instance of fraud I knew about a year ago and they didn't want to listen. It was one of their corporate clients (a govt. agency) and I had open records that proved their client was committing fraud. This client will end up costing Liberty Mutual literally millions of dollars, and they could get out of it by using the proof I provided them of the fraud. They didn't care. If they don't care about their money, they won't care about yours.

That said, General Casualty is a good company and I'm pretty sure they underwrite in MN. Metlife is worth looking into as well, and if you work for certain employers you get additional discounts. I currently have Metlife and have been happy.

I recently did the same thing. Quotes were all over the place. Nationwide apparently thinks that I'm wealthy, they quoted 2x what I'm paying now. The rest weren't enough of a savings to switch. I guess someone has to pay for all of those commercials with Junior.

I'm planning on contacting an independent agency here in town, that writes policies for several different insurance companies, and see what they can come up with. This has always produced the best rates for me in the past.

I'm with MetLife now... no complaints, except for the yearly rate hikes, even though my vehicles keep getting older and older.... and worth less and less.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I recently did the same thing. Quotes were all over the place. Nationwide apparently thinks that I'm wealthy, they quoted 2x what I'm paying now. The rest weren't enough of a savings to switch. I guess someone has to pay for all of those commercials with Junior.

I'm planning on contacting an independent agency here in town, that writes policies for several different insurance companies, and see what they can come up with. This has always produced the best rates for me in the past.

I'm with MetLife now... no complaints, except for the yearly rate hikes, even though my vehicles keep getting older and older.... and worth less and less.

Independent Insurance Agency is the way to go.
They have access to a few companies and they do all the work for you so you don't have to call around to those different companies.
I have been a client for one of them for as far as I know when I got dumped by one of the company with the "Farm" in the name.

Originally Posted By: mjk
Hello,

Thanks.

I have Geico and they have been fine with me. They replaced the rear window in a cap I had for a truck (and it was my fault it broke) and the rear glass in a vehicle because the defroster had stopped working (my dog broke that).

Consumer Reports a few months back did a large article on car insurance. Worth reading. One of their issues is many companies seem to set the rate by your credit report rather than your driving history. They are pushing to get that changed.

Regarding USAA... my understanding is that it is NOT exclusive for military and/or their family. Its an independent company but it 'markets' its coverages to the military, sort of trying to capture that large market BUT anyone can get a quote and buy their insurance. Im not military and I was quoted car insurance a few years ago. Local SF agent told me that USAA is pretty good but is NOT exclusive to military folks. They dont have local reps so if you have a claim you are on the phone alot. If you want more personal contact then deal with local independent agents or your more common SFarm and Allstate and Amer. Family type agents.
Just FYI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back