3 ton jack low on oil can i use jd hygard ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, i bought a harbor freight 3 ton low profile jack and it needs some oil added to the jack. Can i use john deere hygard fluid or do i have to use jack oil. Will i have any seal compatibility issues? Thanks

I've used generic hydraulic oils to fill floor jacks before now and I personally never had seal problems.

To be avoided really, unless it's an emergency then use it but drain & fill with the correct stuff at the next opportunity
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: joegreen
Hello, i bought a harbor freight 3 ton low profile jack and it needs some oil added to the jack. Can i use john deere hygard fluid or do i have to use jack oil. Will i have any seal compatibility issues? Thanks

I don't see why not. deere hygard fluid is very likely a much higher quality fluid then what came in the jack.

I have one of those jacks, works well, but lately it has started to leak down some.

I used some hygard and bled out the air and it's working great. Only time will tell if the seals are compatible but im sure they are.

My oldest floor jack I bought used about 35 years ago. a couple times I have added oil to it, and I used brake fluid. No problem for me in all these years.

I dont think you can go wrong as long as the seals are compatible. Ive used it a few times since putting in the hygard and it seems ok so far.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back