VW emissions cheating additional 75,000 3L engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
And instead, they produced a vehicle THAT USED LESS FUEL

And if they hadn't of cheated, they could have done both but decided to be greedy and break the law.

And made the car significantly more complicated and more expensive for the end user. The EPA is out of control

The additional cost according to Bosch was about $330 to make the car with appropriate emmisons control JUST like all competition. Not clear how eps is "out of control"?

Greed.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Originally Posted By: Brons2
The EPA is not out of control. The car culture in this country is out of control. Energy consumption is out of control. We have 6% of the world's population and consume 25% of the energy. It's not right.

One of the things I like about this site is that it teaches people to get maximum value out of your oil and not be wasteful...

So you are saying that we should reach the lowest common denominator? Kinda like dos to the people in the world live on less than $10 a day so now we here should only get that much and have to live on that much? Things are not out of control. We do use more energy resources than other areas of the world, but not like it has just been wasted. We have the one of the best living conditions because of it. And there is no shortage of fuel or energy except as the government has restricted things.

If you want to go back to horse and buggies, having to track down and chop your own wood for heat and cooking (which pollutes even more), and want to live a subsistence lifestyle, then go for it. Find an Amish community and enjoy.

Agreed. We do consume much more energy, but we also produce much more than most. And we do so very efficiently.

As stated by TT, any day you'd like to join the other 94%, or more specifically, perhaps the bottom half that live in (quite literally) darkness, enduring famine and disease, as well as (shall we say) questionable lifespan due to uncertainty of localized tyranny, then by all means do so. Further, we are generally very prosperous because of our ingenuity and work ethic.

You think it's "not right".
I think it's totally just.

We'll agree to disagree.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
The EPA is not out of control. The car culture in this country is out of control. Energy consumption is out of control. We have 6% of the world's population and consume 25% of the energy. It's not right.

One of the things I like about this site is that it teaches people to get maximum value out of your oil and not be wasteful...

Your 2+ car household is firmly contributing to that problem.

You live in Texas and don't understand the car culture? Have you looked at the size of your state and how far apart your cities are? What's the other option for a person who wants to get around Texas? Last time I checked, there's no TGV in the Lone Star state.

The United States is the United States, and no other nation. The idea that a person living in this nation can succeed as much as they want, and enjoy their success has made this nation as great as it is. Many other nations in the world brought themselves out of the dirt by copying our ways and ideals.

Beyond that, is the geography of our nation. We're pretty big effin' country, with comparatively few cultural differences between communities, good safe roads, and no administrative borders between states. Interstate travel is a major part of our economy. No kidding this nation kinda has a thing for cars. I know full well that Texas has at least twice the RV dealerships per capita of Florida, so you should definitely know better.

And here is your "flow transformer" to fix your engine's emissions issues...
smile.gif

http://europe.autonews.com/article/20151126/BLOG15/151129893

Quote:
Fitted directly in front of the air mass sensor, this part is equipped with a mesh that calms the swirled air flow and thus decisively improves accuracy when measuring current air mass throughput, a very important parameter for optimum combustion. That last passage is taken almost word for word from the company's statement.

The component comes complete with a cool name, too – “flow transformer." It sounds kind of like the fictional Flux Capacitor that allowed a DeLorean to travel through time in the 1980s film "Back to the Future."

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Other manufacturers have solved the issue

Let's wait and see after EPA has had a chance to analyze in detail those other manufacturers as well.

I don't watch much TV, so I see very few commercials; even still, I was kind of expecting to see other diesel manufacturers jumping on the "clean" bandwagon...maybe there's a reason they're no kicking VW while they're down...

And instead, they produced a vehicle THAT USED LESS FUEL
These vehicles will become prized possessions. As long as you can keep it original.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Let's wait and see after EPA has had a chance to analyze in detail those other manufacturers as well.

I don't watch much TV, so I see very few commercials; even still, I was kind of expecting to see other diesel manufacturers jumping on the "clean" bandwagon...maybe there's a reason they're no kicking VW while they're down...
Our local broadsheet newspaper had an ad from a GM dealer featuring a diesel Cruze. There was some catty wording, something to the effect of 'Hey VW owners, our diesel cars meet the emissions requirements honestly'.

VW's woes make Mazda's delay in bringing their SkyActiv diesel to NA look like a good decision.

Originally Posted By: Number_35
Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Our local broadsheet newspaper had an ad from a GM dealer featuring a diesel Cruze. There was some catty wording, something to the effect of 'Hey VW owners, our diesel cars meet the emissions requirements honestly'.

VW's woes make Mazda's delay in bringing their SkyActiv diesel to NA look like a good decision.

Good, I'm glad not to be disappointed..

Not seeing the Skyactive diesel (and pushing the potential for a Subaru boxer diesel off into forever from now) makes me sad. I'm not sure I'd buy a diesel, but with competition comes opportunity, which is always good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back