Its 1999, which oil and filter would you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M1 and a Purolator PureOne filter.

ETA: had a 1995 Camaro Z28 at the time. It was ran pretty hard but when taken apart the cylinder walls and bearing surfaces looked pristine at over 100k miles.

Last edited:
Delo400 then and Delo400 now. IF not, GTX ...

Wix or Baldwin filters then and now
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
Good morning folks. So, say its 1999 and you are going to do a oil change on your vehicle. Which oil and filter would you use? I probably would be QSGB, or Castrol as used both before. I would use a Tough Guard filter also.

Valvoline White Bottle and Purolator is what I used. With the knowledge I've added since then, Amsoil and Amsoil.

Last edited:
In May of '99 I bought the car that gave rise to my screen name, a battleship-gray 1986 420SEL Mercedes. It was designed to allow draining the oil up and out of the dipstick tube. Usually I used Valvoline 20W-50 in the late spring through early fall, and 10W-30 the rest of the time, with a Mann filter.

When the car and I moved to Loozyana in 2001, I switched to Chevron Delo 15W-40 and the same filter.

Castrol GTX 5w30 in my Suburban and Corvette.
Mobil 1 5w30 in my '85 Pontiac Sunbird turbo, then also in my '97 Camaro Z28 when I traded in the Sunbird.
AC Delco filters in all.

Last edited:
Back in '99 I was buying a lot of Mobil-1 at Costco and Mann filters from online sources for the two Volvos we had at the time.

In '99 I probably would have used 5W30 conventional, and whatever filter the parts store guy handed over. And a 3k OCI. Back then, tires (to me) were either all season or snow tires, and oil was oil. Then again, at that time I only drove beaters so it was just as well to shop the cheapest stuff.

1999 was the last year I operated my 1989 Honda Civic before the vehicle was totaled in a hit and run in early 2000. It was also the last year I used the OCOD. The oil used was Walmart Supertech precursor HT 2000 20w-50 during the summer OCI and either Mag 1 or Mobil 10w-40 conventional during the other 2 OCIs. I remember the Mag 1 was free with a rebate. The 20w-50 was $2.60 for a 5qt jug and the Mobil was .79 a quart that also had a mail in rebate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back