Lifter tap in cold weather?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a 2006 GMC canyon 2.8L last may 85K miles. I use QSUD it just got cold here in Ohio 28F it never had any noise in the motor till it got 28F this week it has a tapping noise till the motor gets warm sounds like a lifter tap but only in cold weather when the motor is cold . Does this mean anything ?

are you sure it's lifter tap? does it sound more like piston slap? (lower in the engine, like a diesel?) my echo did the lifter noise thing last winter. I will have to see if it reappears this winter. are you using the proper grade synthetic? will it cause harm? likely not.

To start with, QSUD is absolute junk (my opinion of course) and you may need to change to a less restrictive oil filter.

Could also be a exhaust manifold gasket leaking. Colder weather shrinks the gasket and or exhaust manifold making a "tick" sound as it leaks, engine warms up, things expand, leak stops.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
To start with, QSUD is absolute junk (my opinion of course) and you may need to change to a less restrictive oil filter.

All QSUD oils meet minimum industry standards and have been tested and approved by PQIA. QS is a major player in the oil industry with decades of experience. Can you define "absolute junk" a bit better so we can share in your observation.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Can you define "absolute junk" a bit better so we can share in your observation.

I ran it in my car for 3500 miles. Worst oil I ever tried in any car I've ever owned. Engine ran coarse and raspy the whole time I had it in there. I was seriously thinking about moving up to a 10W-40 or something to smooth the engine out. As soon as I drained that garbage out and replaced it with SuperTech Full Synthetic (made by Citgo) the engine was back to its smooth quiet self again. Did I mention the smell ? Let that QSUD sit out in the sun for awhile in the drain pan and you'll want to run away from it as fast as you can.

I'm ready to try your experiment with a beater parked in my driveway. It runs nice and smooth and has no mechanical problems. Exactly what viscosity QS oil caused the problem so I can drain the current oil and give it a try, that is see if the engine runs different. My neighbor is curious about this experiment and wants to help. We'll get a couple of people to observe the results.

And to do the smell test do I leave out in the sunlight the used QS oil in a drain pan? How long, and what ambient temperature do I need?

I wonder if we can get some other BITOG members to try this as well. I've heard others claim that a different oil can make an engine run either ruff or smoother but have never experienced it myself.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Nothing but non sense.

What sounds like lifter tap with a stone cold engine is often an exhaust manifold leak. As the manifold warms (quickly) the noise goes away. Usually in 30 seconds or less. I've seen this on several engines, from Oldsmobile V-8 to Volvo 5 cylinder in line. A stethoscope is a big help. Let the engine get overnight cold, as just a few hours might not allow the manifold to cool sufficiently to open up the gap between head and manifold.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I'm ready to try your experiment with a beater parked in my driveway. It runs nice and smooth and has no mechanical problems. Exactly what viscosity QS oil caused the problem so I can drain the current oil and give it a try, that is see if the engine runs different. My neighbor is curious about this experiment and wants to help. We'll get a couple of people to observe the results.

And to do the smell test do I leave out in the sunlight the used QS oil in a drain pan? How long, and what ambient temperature do I need?

I wonder if we can get some other BITOG members to try this as well. I've heard others claim that a different oil can make an engine run either ruff or smoother but have never experienced it myself.

Here's some 'blind' data...

I took my '13 Corolla to a different Toyota dealer for my last oil change and was expecting the typically expensive TGMO 0W-20 and I even mentioned it as they welcomed me as a new customer. Drove away, happy. But wait... For the next 5 days i noticed my motor sounding different. Especially at cold startup it sounded louder longer.

I look at the second layer of the invoice (they had a cover page summary atop) and I see it says PP on it. I recognized those as bitog letters. Penzoil Platinum. A well regaurded oil. Well, I called and said that we talked about TGMO. They gave me a refund. I dumped the oil. Gave it to a neighbor who is running it in his 06 Corolla for a sixer of miller ponies.

Wasteful?
Probably.

Do I snort coke? Nope. So i guess that this little oil indulgence is allowable.

It sounds better at startup (other than the classic VVTI rattle which was supposedly fixed by a redesign in 2009... Ha! Right!)

I don't think its a exhaust manifold leak the tapping noise takes some time to go away maby 3 miles I use to have headers on a hot rod I had I know that sound this is more of a tapping noise bad lifter?

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Nothing but non sense.

That may be, but I figure I have the right to form an opinion since I paid money on it and ran it through one OCI. The oil acted like it was way thinner that what the label on the bottle said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back