Need a new oil pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I admit this may be a silly question. My oil pan on my 08 caravan is rusting out and I'm about to replace it. I know all it does is sit there and hold the oil but could I encounter any problems if I get an aftermarket less expensive one over an OEM part?

Rockauto can be a good choice but shipping is pricey. Do you have any auto wrecker yards where you can pull parts off? That's another good choice and it's probably the cheapest.

I don't think there will be an issue with an after market part.

Last edited:
Normally i would say go OE but ifs NOS like GM they didn't upgrade the part and the new ones start rusting quickly also.
Go aftermarket but make sure the fit is good and the gasket surfaces are flat with a straight edge. Spectra makes a decent one but IIRC the drain bolt is a different size than the OE so you have to use the one supplied.

Originally Posted By: Farmer
Do you have any auto wrecker yards where you can pull parts off? That's another good choice and it's probably the cheapest.

I'm pretty sure that the OP doesn't want another one that's already rusted.

Buff and implement paint the one on there. If that is not a option a aftermarket parts are good to.
If it were me the new one would get a few coats of paint before install. This will ward of rust for a longer time.
If oversize pan is available, I usually opt for it. More oil equals better oil/engine life.

Harvey

Not sure what your mileage is but I think Chrysler has 10 or 8 year 100k corrosion warranty

If it's an aftermarket chrome pan, make sure you remove the chrome from the gasket surface before installing it. Learned my lesson the hard way on that one.

Originally Posted By: Trav
A Chrome pan on a mini van?

Had a customer come in yesterday making a huge scene because we had never sold chrome wheel lip moldings on a new Focus.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
If it's an aftermarket chrome pan, make sure you remove the chrome from the gasket surface before installing it. Learned my lesson the hard way on that one.

I have always had luck just scuffing the surface with a bit of 100 grit sandpaper.

Just throwing that out there to have all the bases covered.
smile.gif

Very, very strange. Flies in the face of nature, in fact.

This must be what comes of a lack of oil leaks and a steady hand when filling.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Had a customer come in yesterday making a huge scene because we had never sold chrome wheel lip moldings on a new Focus.

Sounds like a good customer for white walls also, make him a special CA dealer package.
Some of these tacky moldings and cheesy whitewalls installed for $1395. For an extra $100 toss in some fuzzy dice and a bobble head Elvis.

http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-Stainless-Chrome-Fender-08-11/dp/B00YYTKWB0

While I normally hate that type of add on stuff, they are perfect for some people. Like the people that buy the Roush EcoBoost Mustangs, $50K+ for a 4 cylinder Mustang still blows me away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back