Want to Loose Weight but.... I am HUNGRY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm an adult male 40. I know that calories out vs calories is the basics allong with avoiding eating before bed allong with veggies allong with....,etc. I know.

My problem is... I am hungry. I guess I just gotta go in and waste my time with a 15 min mass production based clinic doc to get the ball rolling via some pittifully un comprehensive blood tests and a handshake and a boot out the door.

I eat protein, I drink water and water and water and I walk. Do I eat perfect? No. But the weight loss isn't really the core goal. I am hungry yet most meals don't really give me the taste "excitement" that constitutes a meal experience. It tastes fine but eating just doesn't dazzle me anymore. I am eating healthy meals I used to love. I don't desire new recepies. I just eat good stuff I used to love and is healthy and ....I am just left craving later.

It's weird and probably useless to share but who knows, maybe someone else has experienced this.."hungry and not satiated". And I don't mean satisfied as in "full". I get full just fine and as a habit I don't gorge for volume's sake.

I try to ignore the urge or have water instead but I eventually cave and eat.

So I guess that in the end it is a combination of "I should be satiated but I am not" and am still hungry.

Maybe I need a big B12 shot? Or just to eat something disgusting to gag each time I eat?

I guess I am lucky when it comes to food and losing weight. I lost about 30lbs last year. Started paying more attention to what I ate and went for about a 2 mile walk at lunch. I'm 32 so I guess it is still easy for me to lose weight. I have never been into food that much, my family always considered eating and sleeping times that you could be working.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Atkins diet read his book first.

Believe it or not...this diet WORKS extremely well. You need to be able to handle NOT eating hardly any carbs...but if you can follow the diet, you WILL lose all kinds of poundage. You don't even need to exercise. I know...I've done it and it is for real. My current lives it...and is an over 50 year old woman that does not exercise other than work. She's lost thirty pounds without any effort other than following the Atkins style of eating. And....you DO NOT GET HUNGRY!!

Look up Ketogenic diets...or you can just do Atkins.

I was not able to deal with the low carbs myself and got off it. But while I was on it I lost almost 10 pounds in only two weeks. That gave me the head start I needed.

Last edited:
Paleo is your friend. Less fillers, more nutrition means you eat less and feel satisfied. It's not easy, but it is the only diet I can tolerate. For weight loss, you still need to mind carbs and sugar but once you get the hang of it it's not too difficult.

Normal breakfast for me is 2-3 eggs, small portion of breakfast meat, a couple ounce of sweet potato and a glass of carrot juice or more often low sodium V8. Once or twice a week I'll have yogurt and chia which passes primal at least.

Snack at 10am, one banana.

Lunch is harder. I should pack more, but try to stick primal if eating out. Sometimes I just have a can of tuna and a granny smith apple if I'm not too hungry.

Dinner is protein, veg and another small serving of paleo approved carb. Could be beets, carrot, squash, plantain, yuca, or sweet potato.

Evening snack is soaked and dried nuts, usually a mix of almonds and walnuts. A small bit of dark chocolate, 85% sometimes.

Beer is hard to give up. I stay at two cups of coffee a day, and if I want more I switch to hot tea.

Dried fruits are only if my sugar is dropping out. 1-2 pieces of whole fruit a day.

Paleo, Atkins, or something similar - all true. stay off the grains and carbs. period. no bread. no taters. it works. you may see some other problems disappear too... heartburn, gerd, etc.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Paleo, Atkins, or something similar - all true. stay off the grains and carbs. period. no bread. no taters. it works. you may see some other problems disappear too... heartburn, gerd, etc.

This is true. My girlfriend used to have stomach problems several times a week before she went Keto.
Not anymore.

Eating high-fiber foods like plain oatmeal, beans, lentils will fill you up fast and they're low in calories. They also dont taste very good so you end up eating even less which is a bonus
wink.gif

As for Aktins reducing acid reflux, it's the opposite for me. Aktins is high in fat, and fat is a trigger for acid production. Low-fat, high-carb reduced my acid reflux. YMMV

Carbs aren't evil. The thinnest countries in the world eat a high-carb diet (Japan, South Korea, Philippines, etc). It's all about calorie control

true - carbs are not bad - especially for younger people and for athletes. I worked with my doctor and a dietician for months to resolve a specific problem. ymmv. I used to believe that "food" was all "food" and calories were all calories. for some or many people, it does actually matter.

When you feel hungry, just drink a big cold glass of water.

I'm like you and trying to shed a few. I used to jog in a break at work and hated it. I switched to mountain biking and am out longer and spend more time at a beneficial aerobic heartrate. You need to at least tolerate your exercise regimen.

I've also cut out snacks, but particularly sugar/ ice cream after dinner. The body has nowhere to put it when sleeping and it just gets packed into fat. Front load your day with a decent breakfast and taper as you go.

You say all you do is walk that really not enough your not 90 years old you have to eat correctly and get on a workout plan that busts your ars 5 to 6 days a week.

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
Paleo is your friend. Less fillers, more nutrition means you eat less and feel satisfied. It's not easy, but it is the only diet I can tolerate. For weight loss, you still need to mind carbs and sugar but once you get the hang of it it's not too difficult.

Normal breakfast for me is 2-3 eggs, small portion of breakfast meat, a couple ounce of sweet potato and a glass of carrot juice or more often low sodium V8. Once or twice a week I'll have yogurt and chia which passes primal at least.

Snack at 10am, one banana.

Lunch is harder. I should pack more, but try to stick primal if eating out. Sometimes I just have a can of tuna and a granny smith apple if I'm not too hungry.

Dinner is protein, veg and another small serving of paleo approved carb. Could be beets, carrot, squash, plantain, yuca, or sweet potato.

Evening snack is soaked and dried nuts, usually a mix of almonds and walnuts. A small bit of dark chocolate, 85% sometimes.

Beer is hard to give up. I stay at two cups of coffee a day, and if I want more I switch to hot tea.

Dried fruits are only if my sugar is dropping out. 1-2 pieces of whole fruit a day.

This totally sound like something I could do! The day you described. May I hear more of your lunch combos?

A high protein diet will work too. I have been able to drop 20# by doing more exercising; I walk my 2 German Shepherds about 2 1/2 miles a day plus ride 7 miles on my stationary recumbent bike (according to the calorie meter on the bike I burn 225 calories on a 25 minute ride). This really worked well for me. I burn approx 600 calories with my exercise.

Last edited:
I suppose you could do one of the fad diets mentioned above, and you might actually lose some weight-for a while. However, a better idea is a common sense, well rounded diet. There are plenty of cultures that have lots of grains and carbs in their diet and don't experience all of the maladies that the current lore would indicate. Their secret? They not only balance what they eat, but they also exercise.

One of your earlier posts extolled the virtues of plopping down in front of the idiot box and you bragged about watching people named Larry and Darrell. Yet you could have used that time to expend calories, rather than sit around watching mindless garbage on television. Simple math-you use more calories when you're moving and busy than you do when you're sitting on the couch watching the idiot box. If you don't replace those calories you'll lose weight. The bigger the differential between the two numbers, the more weight you'll lose. Toss in some daily exercise and you'll build muscle as well as lose weight.

If you really want to lose weight (and I doubt that you do) then put together a plan that includes lots of exercise, and make it a lifestyle you can live with for the rest of your life. Get rid of the idea of a fad diets, especially when they claim you'll lose weight without any exercise. Learn to cook healthy, balanced meals, and learn how to make them full of flavor without all the processed/frozen/fast food garbage that you currently stuff your face with.

The problem for many folks is that it takes a great deal of self discipline. Living well and healthy is a choice that is easy to make, but not that easy to carry out for people who don't have the self discipline to stick with it. However, when you reach your 50's and 60's and realize that your choices of 20 years ago have a direct influence on your current health, you don't waddle around looking like the Michelin Man, and you're not relegated to gulping handfuls of pills just to try to feel good, you'll realize what a benefit a healthy lifestyle is and how much it benefits you.

Or you could continue doing what you're doing and see how well that works. The choice is yours.

I eat smaller amounts(4-5 times per day) more often and maintained same weight since 21 now 42.

This includes a piece of sausage, single fresh egg, cheese burrito I make daily. If I eat yogurt I buy whole milk plain with wife's bee honey but eat smaller amount then majority of folks. I don't eat red meat often because wife doesn't and it actually bugs my stomach when I eat it out.

The only downside is when I am extremely active eating often disrupts the activity a tad.

If I eat stuff folks deem diet I starve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back