wheel bearing 2003 toyota camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
would a ball joint cause uneven tire wear and mess up your alignment and should you align after you fix the ball joint? i knew something mechanical was going on a while ago since last year, my tire was completely bald, and my tires wore out quick, esp on the edges (see the recent steel belt story)
but i'm worried somethign else might be wrong
what about the control arm? would the control arm also be bad, or not necessarily, and does a bad ball joint impact fuel economy as i have noticed my vehicle has gotten worse fuel economy too

when i come to a stop, esp when i steer, or when i steer after i begin driving /move the wheel, i notice a thump, is that characteristic of a ball joint issue?

is squeaky tires when you turn (they are really squeaky, both on the old and new, i hear that loud squeak characteristic of a bad ball joint, or is that from something else?

Yes, yes!! Ball joints sounds like the problem.

And you need to get going on this. This thread started 3 months ago and even then, those ball joints needed to be replaced.

DO NOT DELAY or you may find yourself in the guard rail! (or worse!)

@capri, how did you knwo they were due months ago?
also, it's the right side. i curbed the left side in july and my tire wasn't flat from that, BUT that tire had the steel belts showing by september and i recently replaced that one
the other tire was flat and it also had steel belts showing at the time of being flat (RIGHT FRONT) and i put my spare on, and then i curbed the car and destroyed the spare (it was a 25 dollar used tire, thankfully) and that curbing bent my right rim way out of shape. my left front rim was belt as a restul of the july curbing and my tire would lose air to about 25 psi, until discount tire was able to bend it back into shape and then it was stable, so they saved one wheel, but not the other (right) and my right ball joint in the front went bad, so could it be that it was from curbing that made my ball joint go bad, or was it due before the curbing or was it a combination of age and curbing? if i curb a new ball joint, would that make it go bad as well?
some mechanics don't aceept customer parts, but i found a few in the area that do, and one wants 120 on labor but one wants 70 on labor and one wants 75 on labor, but i could save 70 if I do it myself and the part is 42.99 from aap but i'm using a 5 dollar coupon so i could save lots by DIYing but 70 isn't bad either, if i were to hire a mechanic to do it
i wonder if those people would drop the pan as well for a cheap price on say my camry

A person with your lack of knowledge (about tire wear, to say the least) and experience should hire a professional to repair and maintain your car....that's the cost of owning a car.

You say that you've curbed your wheels multiple times in the past few months so severely that they needed replacing...that would suggest that you might benefit from some driving lessons...

Be safe.

Last edited:
@kitacam, i curbed the car because i was in an unfamilar setting late at night and it was dark and the headlights aren't low enough to make me see the curb (fog lights would help with this)
but i want to DIY it if possible to save money like how I did with the starter successfully. and i heard camry ball joints weren't hard
all i need to know is besides a 19mm wrench and a 22 inch axle nut socket (someone told me 22mm, some said 30mm, some said 32mm, which one is it)? what other tools do i need and do i need to take the brakes off and the axle nut off or is that just to make the job easier?

would i need a breaker bar to mremove my stuck lug nuts or the ball joint and then get a 1/2 inch to 3/8 drive adapter since all my sockets are 3/8 drive? thanks.
what size axle nut is it, or what size socket do i need for that on a 15 inch steel rim for a 2003 toyota camry?

i think it's called an air impact wrench

how many miles before the wheel falls off?
can i drive for about 1000, or 2000, or more miles on a bad ball joint before having serious issues? i just want to wait a little on this repair and i'm thinking about making a 400 mile round trip to the west side of the state, would it be safe, or am i at risk of my wheel falling off due to a bad ball joint? thanks.

how much out of balance is too much? i had the taurus balanced yesterday and was told the right front was 1/2 ounce out whereas the right rear was 1 and a quarter oz. out of balance, was that too much or no? and hwo often do you balance your tires? thanks.

Originally Posted By: engineer20
can i drive for about 1000, or 2000, or more miles on a bad ball joint before having serious issues? i just want to wait a little on this repair and i'm thinking about making a 400 mile round trip to the west side of the state, would it be safe, or am i at risk of my wheel falling off due to a bad ball joint? thanks.

This is your future:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3_aJxyGY4I

Your lack of desire to do anything that we suggest leads me to believe that you're just like a certain forum member that keeps getting himself banned time and time again.

Good luck with your car, and try not to make the news.

BC.

Originally Posted By: engineer20
i think it's called an air impact wrench

It will fall off tomorrow. Do not drive this vehicle tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back