any cord cutters doing it right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I've had some flavor of cable tv my whole life.

My wife and I pretty much watch 10 channels and that is it.

We are on the cheapest package of DirecTV, and the bill is still $65 per month.

Cable provider here is Time Warner, I buy my internet from them for 45 per month. 50 meg package.

I'm looking for a TV package that is about 10 bucks a month that has maybe 10-20 channels on it. I don't want to mess with booting up a computer at 2am, I want a set top box on each TV (we have two).

Pretty much the only thing I watch is news and weather, wife likes A&E and HGTV.

I messed with putting KODI on a fire stick, that went poorly.

Then I put KODI on a laptop and plugged that into my big screen tv with a wireless keyboard/mouse.

Most of the streams don't work and it is glitchy. I don't want to play the pc repairman when i get home from work.

Anybody know of a service that does a good job for maybe 20 bucks a month?

We have an OTA antenna, and if I'd just put up a tower I bet I could get more than 1.5 stations. But honestly we haven't watched OTA in like a year. We bought a Roku and have Netflix, and are content.

The longer the cord was cut, the less we knew about the shows we were "missing". I'm now to the point where if the wife were to be away, I would not turn the tv on for anything. Too many good books.

TV makes people stupid What ever you can get for free is all that is needed.

A digital LED TV and a USB Roku stick is all I'd ever need.

As it is now, I'm doing just fine watching YouTube on my computer.

I use a double bow tie antenna on the first floor of my house. It's in a window facing the TV towers and I get all the channels. If I lived in suburbia, I would need a rooftop antenna. That connected to a Philips DVR that record OTA signals can record more TV than I can watch. No monthly fee, as nature intended.

We have a digital antenna and a Roku box. Theres then we could ever watch between the two. Like someone said above once you dont have all the channels you'll lose interest in what they have to offer.

Over the air antenna combined with NetFlix on a Fire TV stick is all I need. Cost me $8.99 plus tax a month.

Ever since over the air TV went digital, I have more channels now than ever because they just keep adding channels. NetFlix has lots of content, and in January 2016 they have Disney coming on board, so it will be a little bit better.

I have an antenna and a Roku 3 that streams Netflix and Amazon Prime. I'm really thinking of cancelling the Netflix. The less TV you watch the less you even care to watch. I've found tons of stuff on Youtube. The Google I/O keynote I watched the other day was much more informative than a three hour movie.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
When I had cable, I never watched TV.

Now that I have no cable ...

My Time Warner bill is $15 now that I have my own cable modem.
What speed is that? I thought I was doing OK with my $35 Brighthouse 15/1 service.

we just set up our pool, as to when you-know-who will chime in and rag on those who watch t.v., pay for cable, lease cars, smoke, etc.
it's been about 6 or 7 weeks since I won a pool, so I'm due.

Do a search for stations broadcasting in your area. Im sure youll find enough to make it worth your while to hang an antenna. I have one at home i get quite a few channels. I just hung one at my parents other house in arizona they get 30ish or so hd quality channels for free.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
We have a digital antenna and a Roku box. Theres then we could ever watch between the two. Like someone said above once you dont have all the channels you'll lose interest in what they have to offer.

I'm sure you know this, but for the benefit of everyone else, there is no difference between analog and digital tv antennas. One will work for the other, as they are the same thing.

I get by with HD broadcasts (mostly sports) and just added SlingTV for ESPN & Disney for the kids. Sling is $20, use a Roku or PC to view.

Last edited:
I sawed off cable tv, upped my bandwidth, bought a Roku and put up my old antenna. I enjoy the free stuff I can get from the Roku, old movies, cartoons and such. News still comes in over the antenna. I do subscribe to Netflix, but I don't use that too much.

I'm not missing anything important.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger

I'm sure you know this, but for the benefit of everyone else, there is no difference between analog and digital tv antennas. One will work for the other, as they are the same thing.

Yes there was free TV on analog before it went digital, and those analog antennas work just fine with digital because they are the same. Some antenna manufacturers did make antennas that were tuned just for the channels that the latest digital uses because some of the upper uhf channels were lost during the transition, so no need to tune for those upper uhf channels.

I did the free trial of Sling TV less than two months ago. One day it worked fine, and the next day it worked like [censored]. Same thing over and over for the two week free trial. If they add some more channels, and work the bugs out of it, it would be pretty dang good I think.

Google "grey hoverman anntena". I have one in my attic, along with a low quality amplifier. My set up is less than ideal, but I pull ~5 stations for 16 channels in from 40-70 miles away. I built mine in about half an hour for about $20 three years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back