2012 Subaru Forester XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

I just got my test results back from Blackstone and silver has increased from "1" in the first 2 samples to "4" in this last test.

I'm trying to figure out how to post the test results and am having difficulties...newbness and new Windows 10 computer!

In the meantime, anyone know where the silver would come from in this engine? I can't afford Dyson anymore but I recall, in the past, Terry saying silver usually comes from turbo bearings. Blackstone is saying it's possibly rod bearings???

Thanks!
Scot

What kind of oil are you using? Some sort of resource-conserving 0W-30 or 5W-30?

I would definitely be using a 0w40 or 5w40 in that engine.

but since you are in hawaii.. its the 40wt syn. part that's important.

You post the results by typing them!!
smile.gif

Welcome to the late model turbo EJ. Quite a few '12-'14 WRX have been showing silver in the 4-7 range. A couple of years ago, nobody would've batted an eye at this number. Although Blackstone has been flagging late model EJ uoa's for the past year or so with silver in this range stating that they have seen bearing failures. There have indeed been bearing failures, especially on '12-'15 STI's.

Are you stock or modded, what oil? Yeah, don't run girly-man oil!

Start typing!

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, guys! I'm using Mobil 1 5W-30 full synthetic. Using it for no reason other than that it's cheap at Costco.
laugh.gif
Using the 30W because I think that's what's recommended in the manual? Also, I'm using the blue genuine Subaru oil filters.

I had 8200 miles on this sample. The first sample was at 2800 miles and silver was at 1ppm on the factory oil. The second sample was at 5800 miles on Mobil 1 and silver was also at 1ppm. I had been really busy and put 8200 on this last sample of Mobil 1 and silver went up to 4ppm. Only about 17,000 miles total, totally stock, and no issues to date...knock on wood.

Seriously, do I need to type in the whole thing? For some reason, the way they format their test results, I can't seem to copy and paste the data.

If you're set on using Mobil 1, I'd suggest 0W-40 next time.

If you're flexible, I'd personally opt for a 5W-40 or 15W-40 HDEO such as Rotella or Delo.

Okay, I think Costco stocks the 0W-40 so could try that.

The Rotella/Delo...are those diesel oils? I used to use Rotella in my Dodge Cummins with good results.

Don't the Subie turbos of that year require oil change at 7500 miles? This is one where extended changes is foolish and sooner is better.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Don't the Subie turbos of that year require oil change at 7500 miles? This is one where extended changes is foolish and sooner is better.

You are probably right...not sure, don't have the manual handy. I am not into extended oil changes, rather was just too busy to change it out sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back