Which of these drills for home use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Throt
Well the Bosch comes with 2 batteries, that's a + to that one. Never heard of or owned a Makita but it does have good ratings. If it were me I'd get the Bosch.

If you've never heard of Makita, you shouldn't be giving advice on tools.

That's like giving advice on cars, when you've never heard of Toyota.

Makita invented the cordless drill. In 1969.

My 38 year old Makita drill still works perfectly. So do my Bosch drills. They're both good quality. Can't go wrong with either, but if price is equal, I would pick a Makita as they've got a larger market share than Bosch, and they have more factory service centers.

The OP has listed apples and oranges. A Makita hammer drill vs. a Bosch regular drill. Makita has a wider range of tools that fit the Li-ion battery. And once you go cordless, you're buying into a system where batteries are the expensive part. The tools themselves are cheap, so you want to consolidate batteries by buying tools for the same company, with the same battery model.

I've got the Makita 18v Li-ion hammer drill, impact driver, recip saw, and multi-tool. They're simply great tools. I've also got the 14.4v Makita drill and impact...and an old 9.6v Makita...and my Makita shop radio runs on the same 18v batteries if needed (hurricane prep).

I bought a Bosch 12v compact driver drill as there was simply nothing of its size that was comparable. I've got a few Bisch routers and other woodworking tools. Bosch is good, but for cordless, I would stick with Makita.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makita

Last edited:
I was just at home depot and lowes and the following dewalt was also on sale for $99. It doesn't show up online but they had a big stack of them in stores.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCD771C2-Li...ywords=DCD771C2

I would second to watch out for batteries. The cost for a replacement battery is like $50+ so take that into account, so you're somewhat picking your ecosystem with your drill.

BTW they also have a good looking dewalt drillbit and driver bit set right next to the stack of drills for like $17.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: Throt
Well the Bosch comes with 2 batteries, that's a + to that one. Never heard of or owned a Makita but it does have good ratings. If it were me I'd get the Bosch.

If you've never heard of Makita, you shouldn't be giving advice on tools.

That's like giving advice on cars, when you've never heard of Toyota.

Makita invented the cordless drill. In 1969.

My 38 year old Makita drill still works perfectly. So do my Bosch drills. They're both good quality. Can't go wrong with either, but if price is equal, I would pick a Makita as they've got a larger market share than Bosch, and they have more factory service centers.

The OP has listed apples and oranges. A Makita hammer drill vs. a Bosch regular drill. Makita has a wider range of tools that fit the Li-ion battery. And once you go cordless, you're buying into a system where batteries are the expensive part. The tools themselves are cheap, so you want to consolidate batteries by buying tools for the same company, with the same battery model.

I've got the Makita 18v Li-ion hammer drill, impact driver, recip saw, and multi-tool. They're simply great tools. I've also got the 14.4v Makita drill and impact...and an old 9.6v Makita...and my Makita shop radio runs on the same 18v batteries if needed (hurricane prep).

I bought a Bosch 12v compact driver drill as there was simply nothing of its size that was comparable. I've got a few Bisch routers and other woodworking tools. Bosch is good, but for cordless, I would stick with Makita.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makita

I only listed a hammer drill and a non-hammer drill because they were exact same price.
smile.gif

Although not a tool expert I certainly HAD heard of Makita... quite a bit. IDK how one can hear of Bosch drills but not Makita. That's why I first began my search with the brands that were most familiar to me.

Some things I am pondering about:

Chuck:

Reading reviews of the Bosch, it seems the chuck is plastic. Is that a big no-no?
Makita chuck is metal AFAIK. Milwaukee M12 ads say "the only all metal chuck in its class" ...

Warranty :
B: 1yr, M: 3 yrs, MW: 5 yrs

Batteries included:
M: 1 battery; other 2 come with 2 batteries

Only MW has a battery level indicator on drill.

For lightweight household jobs, how important is torque?
B: 350, Makita 450? MW: 275, but has stellar reviews.

I vote for the Makita. They make a great drill. I've owned one of their cordless drills for many years. Good battery life even after 8 years. Quick recharge. Lots of torque for drilling 3/4 in. holes through multiple joists. Good ergonomics.

After my dewalt ate its brushes I got a harbor freight 62427. In operation it feels like the dewalt, has a led light, and feels as powerful. It was $40 with a battery and charger.
Replacement batteries are something like $13
You can get a combo set with drill, circular saw, sawzall, light, and one batt/charger for $119. For light use they have worked great. I've remodeled 3 rooms with that drill and I'm about to pick up the saws

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
How about the Ryobi drill that Home Depot will have on Black Friday? It's supposed to be $49 and comes with a battery and charger. I've gotten a few of them and have a small collection of items that use their battery. It's fine for household/occasional use, if you were a pro and used them everyday, then maybe not so great, but a few times a year, I haven't really worn them out. A few projects here and there. It's somewhat handy with them being so cheap and having a couple around. You can have a drill bit in one drill and a screwdriver bit in the other to drill pilot holes and then put a screw in afterwards.

+1 on Ryobi. I think they have a long warranty. You can use the same battery in multiple tools. If it ever breaks, just take it back to HD and exchange it. No worries.

My indy has been torture testing a Ryobi hammer drill for about a year, day in & out. He got tired of buying the expensive stuff, so he decided to do an experiment. So far, so good! (I was rather amazed myself....but there it is).

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I would get a corded drill instead.

This.

Corded drills are Eco freindly, and if you buy a good one, your great grand children will still be using it.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I would get a corded drill instead.

This.

Corded drills are Eco freindly, and if you buy a good one, your great grand children will still be using it.

My BIL gave me a corded drill some years ago, I still have and use it occasionally(few times the last 2-3 years). I don't know if I need a cordless drill since I rarely use a drill for anything.

I actually purchased that Bosch last July, and I've used it extensively since. I helped build 4 handicap/wheelchair home entrances and used it exclusively on every screw, along with a lot of work around our own house. I've been extremely pleased with it-I had no trouble driving 2-1/2 inch deck screws through 2X6 treated deck boards on the handicap ramps that were in excess of 40' long each. It had ample torque and power to do everything I needed.

The battery lasts a long time, the batteries charge quickly when they are run down, and it is actually lighter, physically smaller, and more comfortable than my older Bosch 12V drill/driver. Driving a few hundred screws over the course of a couple days wasn't fatiguing at all.

I can't speak for the Makita, but if I needed to make the purchase again I'd buy the Bosch without question.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

And not much good for working in an area without electricity, such as on a fence in a field. Both corded and cordless have their uses, pros and cons.

Get the makita, they are a pretty good drill. also you can always buy another battery but you cant just add hammer funtion. whether you think youll need it or not its better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Ok. Looking into them now:

How about this one?:
(comes with 2 batteries)

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2407-22-...aukee+m12+drill

Stay clear of that, the 12v battery is the worst in the business. I tried Milwaukee cordless stuff and wont own another one ever!
I have at least 4 defective batteries to show for my trouble and Milwaukee CS is the worst of the worst.
These are tools that Makita doesn't make or didn't at the time, the pipe cutter and inspection scope.

The Makita on the other hand is great I have used them almost daily since 07 with the same 3A batteries and not one failure.
If they all died tomorrow they owe me nothing and will be replaced with another Makita the same day. That makita drill is a dam good one and so is the battery and charger.

The Bosch is just a overpriced B&D and not worth a pee hole in the snow. I use my cordless tools a lot and know a good one from a piece of junk.
Sorry if this offends the Bosch owners but I tried them and they just don't cut it, they don't have the wind for larger drills like wood spade bits that the home owner might use to put a pipe through.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird

I only listed a hammer drill and a non-hammer drill because they were exact same price.
smile.gif

Although not a tool expert I certainly HAD heard of Makita... quite a bit. IDK how one can hear of Bosch drills but not Makita. That's why I first began my search with the brands that were most familiar to me.

Some things I am pondering about:

Chuck:

Reading reviews of the Bosch, it seems the chuck is plastic. Is that a big no-no?
Makita chuck is metal AFAIK. Milwaukee M12 ads say "the only all metal chuck in its class" ...

Warranty :
B: 1yr, M: 3 yrs, MW: 5 yrs

Batteries included:
M: 1 battery; other 2 come with 2 batteries

Only MW has a battery level indicator on drill.

For lightweight household jobs, how important is torque?
B: 350, Makita 450? MW: 275, but has stellar reviews.

you are suffering from analysis paralysis if you're making these comparisons if you have no drills/driver and aren't "upgrading" from something you have and your drill is not part of your livelyhood.

Get the one that you think looks the coolest. Then you'll use it the most. For household, definitely go cordless. It's a hassle to get out the corded driver and cord, then put away the cord when you're done, so you'll end up not using the tool, and just use regular hand screwdriver.

The typical household jobs are something like 1 or 2 screws, like replace a light switch cover, or screw in this coathook into the wall. It's not build a deck and drive 200 screws in an afternoon.
Maybe it's put together Ikea furniture and you make sure you pick up a bit set has hex bits that works for ikea stuff.

I got the dewalt that I posted and I fully admit mainly because I thought the yellow looked cool and you see contractors use them (although I realize the pro models are different). Their 20v battery line(really it's 18) just came out; so this means that I'm in the latest battery generation so the batteries will be around and available for awhile. It's $100.
Treat it as a learning experience then in 3 years, it's not you'll want the fusion nano-powered drill driver anyway.

Last edited:
Quote:
you are suffering from analysis paralysis if you're making these comparisons if you have no drills/driver and aren't "upgrading" and your drill is not part of your livelyhood.
You can't be more right but this is how BITOG generally goes :-(

LOL! I always over-research and it's true: I do end up in a state of paralysis after a a while.

I will NOT decide a DRILL on the looks alone
smirk.gif

We will not have children, so no need to be corded for grandchildren. And I don't want to tangle and fall while holding a drill !
MUST be cordless.

The 1st intended use of this will be to put up blackouts/curtain railings on the walls above all window areas of the house. I think any of the 3 will do.

I didn't know Bosch and B&D were related - I thought Dewalt and B&D were related.

The part about appearance is that for household use, at the $100 level, they're all going to be good (or all have the potential for some DOAs where you're going to need to get a replacement).

Just like if you're doing a 5k oil change in your toyota camry, any brand name full synthetic oil is already overkill; you can stick in M1, pp, qsud, synpower, edge, it's all going to work for you.

Only when it's part of your life and you're a pro contracter; then you're like a guy who's doing 15k OCIs in your turbo direct injection engine, and needing to look into specific boutique oils to avoid downtime

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Your right, my mistake. Dewalt is owned by B&D. Bosch is Skil which is just as bad.

I think you have it backwards? Bosch owns Skill- not vice versa. So Skill is = Bosch quality, which is not the same as "Bosch is Skil".

Wiki:
Quote:
SKIL Power Tools is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Robert Bosch GmbH and is a leader in portable electric power tools and accessories serving the do-it-yourself consumer and professional construction markets.

Emerson Electric acquired Skil Corporation in 1979. Under new ownership, Skil continued growth. In 1982, the company embarked on a program to become the most successful power tool company in America by investing heavily in new manufacturing and quality-control systems. By 1988, the company had achieved its goal.

In 1991, the Emerson Electric Company and Robert Bosch GmbH entered into a joint venture by combining their power tool subsidiaries. In 1992, the new venture came to fruition as S-B Power Tool Co. After four years of the partnership, Robert Bosch GmbH took over complete ownership of Skil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back