cleaning a sludge monster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you need to clean it up?

Why cant you just drive it and change the oil on a reasonable oci?

It's still running despite whatever the PO did to it. Quit trying to fix it until it breaks.

Just drive it and change the oil. That's going to be good enough.

Last edited:
Last time I had sludge in my hands and tools, from a friends monster, I cleaned with ATF. Never find a better cleaner than that, unless I use solvents...
Plain old Dexron 3. Still thinking about its superior solvency in the engine as a cleaner in partial fill.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: meborder
Why do you need to clean it up?

Why cant you just drive it and change the oil on a reasonable oci?

It's still running despite whatever the PO did to it. Quit trying to fix it until it breaks.

Just drive it and change the oil. That's going to be good enough.

Finally a voice of reason
thumbsup2.gif

But it is amusing reading all the "synthetic cleans too much, use something gentle"
crackmeup2.gif
BITOG comedy at its best.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
The 1mz-fe comes in both interference and non-interference varieties.

If yours is a VVTi labeled one, it is interference. The variable valve timing was rolled out in various models at different times from c.1998 to about 2003. The engine cover should make it obvious w/o having to look for the variable timing hardware on the back of the heads.

I know how this foolishness got started on another forum, but it's simply untrue; all of them are non-interference.

In other words...don't believe everything you read on the internet.
thumbsup2.gif

One thing I found in a youtube video, that was pretty interesting on some sort of transverse Toyota product (Lexus), was take the oil pan off and set the oil pump in a tote full of kero/oil. That way it can clean the stuff off and dump everything into the big tote without having to worry about plugging up the oil pump screen. Seems like a good way to clean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41DtywLSilM

So where are your pictures? You know for a fact that there is sludge? If you did R/R the rear valve cover then you would know if it has any or not.

And why does it matter if it is an interference engine?

Synthetics will definitely keep an engine cleaner changed at appropriate intervals...but I have yet to see one whit of actual evidence they clean an already dirty engine better than anything else. Same for HDEO's.

If you are going to "clean" with oil alone figure on a loooonnnnngggggg time to do it. Keeping an engine clean and cleaning an already dirty one are entirely different propositions.

Slow and steady is the way to go though IMO, jump up a grade with a high detergent lube like PYB and substitute a quart of MMO each change...and that is still going to take a long time. Rislone would probably be a little faster but it costs 3 times as much.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
So where are your pictures? [How do] you know for a fact that there is sludge?

....because he read it on the internet...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: koffy
my sister finally bought a decent car,,, it's a 2000 sienna with the v6 engine,,,you know the story of this engine,,,I changed the oil two weeks after that with supertech conventional,,, and 2k miles later I did it again,,,this time with castrol edge 0w-40,,,,olso replaced the pcv valve wich became a nightmare,,,,{the [censored] grummet made me replace the overdue valve cover gasket),, I have some pics,,,but my questions are: pennzoil ultra or M1 HM ,,,and I can't find out if this is an interference engine

No offense, but how is a 16 year old car considered "decent".

If the engine has a lot of sludge, just use cheap oil and filters until it is clean, then switch to something better.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
One thing I found in a youtube video, that was pretty interesting on some sort of transverse Toyota product (Lexus), was take the oil pan off and set the oil pump in a tote full of kero/oil. That way it can clean the stuff off and dump everything into the big tote without having to worry about plugging up the oil pump screen. Seems like a good way to clean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41DtywLSilM

That was a tricky setup, for sure. It cleaned some crud, for sure. Thanks for posting, Miller88

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stchman
No offense, but how is a 16 year old car considered "decent".

it's very subjective I think,,, for me it's about a reliable transportation,,,,
she used to buy really cheap cars that wouldn't last her any longer than 2 or 3 years

That's nowhere close to my sludge monster. Trav is correct. A few shorter OCIs and everything will clear up.

Saw the pix...and so it goes...the net calls the engine a sludge monster and pix show otherwise...just change the oil as intended...end of worries

Originally Posted By: koffy
http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah4/koffygt/20151104_121240_zpspyyw9yfy.jpg
http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah4/koffygt/20151104_121221_zpsilihkk2m.jpg
http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah4/koffygt/20151104_121216_zpsfn07lsw6.jpg

These are some of the pics I took,
I don't remember if it's a vvt-i engine,,,
I'll check tomorrow, if it is I guess I'll push my sister to buy a timing belt kit so I can do it in the spring

That's not a sludge monster. It's not an interference engine either. Here are pics from my 98 Sienna that I sold in Sept of this year.

http://s115.photobucket.com/user/charkin...rt=3&page=1

I was using Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 on my last fill. I used all types of oil on that engine. As you previously mentioned, make sure to change the PCV valve at least every 18 months. I was using an oversized Wix oil filter (Napa) Code 1516. I also would max the OCI to 5000 miles on that motor.

Also clean the Idle air control valve and throttle body and you'll be good to go.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JC1
make sure to change the PCV valve at least every 18 months.

Whaaaaaaaa?????????
...a pcv valve should go for 50k-80k miles without a problem...just checked Kitacam after 3 years and 36k miles and it's clean as day 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back