2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Not Up To Operating Temp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No matter how long I drive this thing distance and time, I can never get the temperature over the 3/8 mark. I feel the upper radiator hose and it feels hot. I don't have a Infrared digital thermometer to check. After driving it for an hour I put my hand on the valve cover and its not even hot. Its warm but I can hold it for a while.

You have to measure the water temperature. If it's not at least 180*, Then the thermostat is probably open. My 2000 GC thermostat failed at about 100k miles and 10 years. It did just what you are reporting. BTW: the valve covers won't get very hot. They have very expensive insulated gaskets.

We have an '05 T&C, and I think the temp normally sits at about the 3/8 mark, so it might be normal for your vehicle. Do you get heat out of the vents?

Ambient Temperature: 40F
New Napa / Gates Thermostat.
Yes I get heat out the vents.
3.3L on this one.

I ordered one of those fancy radiator caps that displays the temperature. For a tester at the shop and it fits the van. So I'll check it with that when it gets here tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: Farmer

I ordered one of those fancy radiator caps that displays the temperature.

I didn't know there was such a thing. Cool!

Originally Posted By: dishdude

I ordered one of those fancy radiator caps that displays the temperature.

I didn't know there was such a thing. Cool!

But unless the cap mounts on radiator at the point the upper radiator hose connects, it's going to be useless... If the cap is on a surge tank it's not going to give a accurate reading... If it's on opposite end of radiator than inlet hose, the coolant will also have temp drop...

It's naive to think the dash gauge is infallible, if heater output is normal the gauge is likely lying...

Yeah it's a pretty cool and nifty contraption. I'm just curious why it's never up to operating temperature. My Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins always around 200-205F

I don't have a IR Gun but I can purchase one if I need to...

Last edited:
I have the specs on the heater test for that van.
Engine up to temp and idling.
Fan speed on max and heater set to floor.
Ambient temp of 40F.
Minimum temp at floor vent should be at least 138F.
Add 3F for every 10F ambient temp is higher than 40F.

The book says if temp is lower causes are...
Pinched heater hose
Improper hose routing
Plugged heater hoses
Plugged heater core
Air locked heater core
Restrictor in backwards
Blend door fault
Faulty AC or heater control
Low engine temp

If the heater meets these specs I would say the engine is up to temp.

Last edited:
A OBD-II code reader that displays live data would give a real time reading... BUT if ECT sensor is defective it may be lying as some gauges are responding on input to computer not a independent gauge sensor...

You can always just leave the radiator cap off and idle your car in the garage until you see coolant flow. A meat thermometer will tell you if the temperature gets up to 185-212 deg F. If you have signs of coolant flow in the upper radiator well before 150-180 deg, it's likely your thermostat is open. Even so, once the T-stat is fully open, your engine should still heat up to normal operating temperature.

If the upper hose is hot, then the thermostat is probably working, at least to a degree. If it were stuck open, the hose would likely not heat up. If it were stuck partially open, and not able to open all the way as needed, the temperature of the engine wouldn't be controllable. If the gauge reading is stable and never moves, then it's probably normal.

The OBD P0125 code will indicate if the computer thinks the engine is not up to operating temperature. If you don't have this code, it's not likely that you have a stuck-open thermostat.

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0125

3.3L on this one.

My Buick is the same way during cold temperatures like you're having now. I'm not worried about it. It means my cooling system is working good.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
3.3L on this one.

My Buick is the same way during cold temperatures like you're having now. I'm not worried about it. It means my cooling system is working good.

Hmmm... Maybe it is working haha. It has a new thermostat, coolant, upper hose, thermostat seal and new housing. I'll ask my Napa guy tomorrow if its possible he sold me a faulty thermostat...

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
You have to measure the water temperature. If it's not at least 180*, Then the thermostat is probably open. My 2000 GC thermostat failed at about 100k miles and 10 years. It did just what you are reporting. BTW: the valve covers won't get very hot. They have very expensive insulated gaskets.

My valve covers are made from steel. I expect that I can feel that the engine is hot.
frown.gif

Last edited:
Hmmm... Maybe it is working haha. It has a new thermostat, coolant, upper hose, thermostat seal and new housing. I'll ask my Napa guy tomorrow if its possible he sold me a faulty thermostat...

Is the radiator aluminum ? Those things dissipate heat fast.

Is the radiator aluminum ? Those things dissipate heat fast.

Aren't most radiators aluminum....?

Farmer said:
3.3L on this one.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1

My valve covers are made from steel. I expect that I can feel that the engine is hot.
frown.gif

All 3.3/3.8 VC's are steel.

My experience with after market thermostats have not been good. I only use mopar thermostats.

Valve covers on my 94 3.3 will be too hot to put my hand on, on my 2000 3.3, I can put my palms on the covers, the VC gaskets are that good. Also they cost over $50 a set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back