cheap computer for Minecraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not a computer gaming type of guy. I would prefer to be poking around in garage or workshop.

My daughter wants to get a low cost PC for her 8 yr old (so she stops using Moms) and is looking at one of the $150 Windows PCs where they have 32GB of storage and no harddrive.

Anyone have ideas on how Minecraft might run on this type of PC. I know real gamers want a graphics chip cooled to -273K so its super fast, but these are 8 (and 6) yr olds.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Not sure a $150 PC would cut it given this:

https://help.mojang.com/customer/en/portal/articles/325948-minecraft-system-requirements

Was just about to say this. They have amped that game up a lot since the original maker sold it. My BIL had a Dell Inspiron with 2gb of ram, 160gb hard drive, a low end, cheap, built in graphics card, and a 2.0 ghz processor give or take and it couldn't run it on the lowest settings. The main problem is the graphics cards. They made this game run just like these other new FPS games that run in Full HD at 60-120FPS, etc. So unfortunately it will require a decent computer to properly run the game nowadays.

Last edited:
There's a cheezeball Xbox 360 (4 GB storage) for $139 at WM. That's what we're getting our kids... for minecraft.

It can have a HD added for $20+ if we need more room b/c it gets popular. But minecraft runs off the DVD.

I would like to state that Playing on a tablet (Minecraft Pocket Version) through IOS/Android is completely different than the one played on PC (The original game). There is also a version played on Xbox 360 that can be bought and played too.

Last edited:
My kids love the Xbox version and if allowed will spend all day on it. I fail to see the interest but it keeps their attention. Used or Refurbished Xboxes are pretty cheap this week with Black Friday Deals. Only possible issue is you would need a TV to connect to.

Minecraft is one of those things where it looks like a low end PC should run it, but it doesn't. Not anymore, anyway. It really needs some horsepower.

My wifes old inspiron 570 plays it decently with the onboard graphics. It came from Walmart with 6GB DDR3 and a quad core 2.8Ghz CPU. ebay $120

Add this for the most graphics HP that will phisically fit and not require a PSU upgade. Amazon $90

The PC will upgrade to 16 GB of RAM,
and an AMD Phenom II x4 965 processor can be istalled with a BIOS update
ebay $59 + $2

Last edited:
Kindle fire are relatively cheap at $35 on Amazon.com this week and $6.99 for the app.

Done!

I bought a used Lenovo t500 off eBay with a dedicated gpu. I am pretty surprised at what it can handle. I play spin tires on it at around 30fps with some goods turned up. No doubt it would handle Minecraft. I paid $160

Originally Posted By: joegreen
I bought a used Lenovo t500 off eBay with a dedicated gpu. I am pretty surprised at what it can handle. I play spin tires on it at around 30fps with some goods turned up. No doubt it would handle Minecraft. I paid $160

I have the same computer since 2008 as former developer workstation now kids duty with a 64GB SSD/8 GB RAM. Very powerful machine for its age and durable and flies on Win10.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Try this site, or one like it. You enter the game you want to play and it will give you the system requirements.

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

Download a tool from some no name site. Ya right!!!!

Don't download the tool. Pick the link right below it which just gives you the specs. I would never recommend downloading, either.

If you would like to use this site, enter the name of the game you want to play. When the popup box appears click the button stating "View Requirements," not the one that says "Desktop App."

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Newegg.com has remans, optiplex dells and such. check it out.

This is what I was going to say. Plenty of choices with dedicated graphics and solid processors too. As always you can pick one without a dedicated gpu and purchase separately if you have a specific need.

Here's a good start for the tower for cheap.

Here is a great deal on the Refurbished: HP Desktop Computer 6000 Pro Core 2 Duo E8400 (3.00 GHz) 4 GB DDR3 250 GB HDD Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit , http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=83-282-025
I found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back